Author Topic: Magnetic compass on Viewranger behaving strangely  (Read 10856 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Magnetic compass on Viewranger behaving strangely
« Reply #15 on: 20:45:00, 14/04/19 »

Rob, whereabouts in the world are you?

Appleby-in-Westmorland in Cumbria.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:56:09, 14/04/19 »
Rob, I use a dedicated gps unit as my primary navigational tool and a phone with VR as my back up (with my intended route always loaded on both).

Me too, haven't carried a paper map for years when out walking, only time I use a paper map is when I'm out with my SAR team.
Where there's a will ...

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:03:42, 14/04/19 »

Me too, haven't carried a paper map for years when out walking, only time I use a paper map is when I'm out with my SAR team.

I wouldn't mind a backup though, my phone malfunctioned last year if it had chosen to do that while out walking I'd have to try and retrace my steps back.

Was going to get a backup GPS but a map and compass seem like the ultimate backup plus like Richard said it might give me a better idea of where I am visually though I expect so would using the Skyline feature more often.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:33:41, 14/04/19 »

Appleby-in-Westmorland in Cumbria.

https://thelakedistrictwalker.co.uk/beginners-navigation-course.html/

http://www.distant-horizons.co.uk/outdoor-activities/navigation-training-courses-lake-district

https://www.golakes.co.uk/Langdale-Navigation-Courses/details/?dms=3&feature=1009&venue=5083090

There's a few courses ~£50 for the day. I'm sure if you shop around you could get it cheaper still. If you were nearer I'd show you for free but I hardly ever get down to the Lakes these day, and their far too crowded.

If you know how to do it with map and compass it's far easier to understand what the GPS is doing.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:48:51, 14/04/19 »
Actually on Saturday I turned the GPS on and pushed it into the mesh pocket of my rucksack, I didn't really need it I just wanted a GPS trace. Visibility was good and I knew the route. At the end of my walk I went to log my route but found the GPS's battery was flat and the set had switched itself off. Surprisingly when I charged it up it had actually continued to log the whole route.

If it had been bad visibility, I didn't know the route and only had the GPS I would have been stuck. You can buy a lot of maps for the price of a GPS. Map and compass don't need batteries charging they work when ever you need them. I do actually use both, and also have VR on the phone but I still think relying on VR/GPS alone is not wise.     

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:05:23, 14/04/19 »
Actually on Saturday I turned the GPS on and pushed it into the mesh pocket of my rucksack, I didn't really need it I just wanted a GPS trace. Visibility was good and I knew the route. At the end of my walk I went to log my route but found the GPS's battery was flat and the set had switched itself off. Surprisingly when I charged it up it had actually continued to log the whole route.

If it had been bad visibility, I didn't know the route and only had the GPS I would have been stuck. You can buy a lot of maps for the price of a GPS. Map and compass don't need batteries charging they work when ever you need them. I do actually use both, and also have VR on the phone but I still think relying on VR/GPS alone is not wise.   
My gps gives an audible alarm when the battery is dying.  It takes 2 AA batteries that last ages but I carry spares in a ziplock bag.  As part of my prehike check when I load the route I check the state of the batteries using the gps display.  4 bars indicates OK, 3 bars indicates about 4 hours left. I wear it on my chest or shoulder strap attached by a clip and the lanyard provided so I can hear any noises it makes - usually a ping as I approach a way point or a warble if I stray too far off course.  It does not lose the route or track if you change the batteries mid hike.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:09:36, 14/04/19 »

https://thelakedistrictwalker.co.uk/beginners-navigation-course.html/

http://www.distant-horizons.co.uk/outdoor-activities/navigation-training-courses-lake-district

https://www.golakes.co.uk/Langdale-Navigation-Courses/details/?dms=3&feature=1009&venue=5083090

There's a few courses ~£50 for the day. I'm sure if you shop around you could get it cheaper still. If you were nearer I'd show you for free but I hardly ever get down to the Lakes these day, and their far too crowded.

Thanks for the links and the thought of showing me even if you're too far away.

I do actually use both, and also have VR on the phone but I still think relying on VR/GPS alone is not wise. 

I've read various arguments about this on the forum and hopefully don't start another. My personal feeling is relying on 1 GPS is unwise even though I do it (but I haven't gone anywhere particularly remote), I'd feel pretty secure if I had a dedicated GPS unit as a backup (chances of both failing are pretty slim) although a map and compass if I knew how to use them "in anger" is a little better as a lifeline.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 22:11:25, 14/04/19 »
I use VR to track where I'm walking and provide me with a "spot-check" location if I truly don't know where I am. 

I'm sure I've said it before on another topic somewhere but I quite enjoy the "navigation" part of a walk.  Following a route on a GPS or phone app doesn't allow me that pleasure because "IT" tells "ME" where I am and where I need to go.

I think basic map and nav skills are a good thing to have and to practice.  If I'm up on the moors I'll practice a bit of what I learned on the nav practice forum meet - pacing and aiming off - mainly.  I think these two things are more useful to know than working out where you are - in theory, you should already know where you are if you've been following your map, your planned route and paying attention to your surroundings! 

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 22:24:30, 14/04/19 »
I'm sure I've said it before on another topic somewhere but I quite enjoy the "navigation" part of a walk.  Following a route on a GPS or phone app doesn't allow me that pleasure because "IT" tells "ME" where I am and where I need to go.

See I don't know if I would or not without trying it. I'm quite happy with the sat nav and like knowing precisely where I am, how many metres of ascent there are over the next 100m, etc.

I think basic map and nav skills are a good thing to have and to practice.  If I'm up on the moors I'll practice a bit of what I learned on the nav practice forum meet - pacing and aiming off - mainly.  I think these two things are more useful to know than working out where you are - in theory, you should already know where you are if you've been following your map, your planned route and paying attention to your surroundings! 

You're probably right I don't know anything about those.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:25:04, 14/04/19 »
My gps gives an audible alarm when the battery is dying.  ............ so I can hear any noises it makes - usually a ping as I approach a way point or a warble if I stray too far off course.

I'd have had difficulty hearing a 747 taking off on Saturday.

The last thing I want whilst out walking is some stupid electrical gizmo bleeping at me, I go walking to get away from [censored] like that.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 22:31:08, 14/04/19 »

I'd have had difficulty hearing a 747 taking off on Saturday.

The last thing I want whilst out walking is some stupid electrical gizmo bleeping at me, I go walking to get away from [censored] like that.
  The noises are optional not obligatory  :) .  I have them on to confirm I have remembered the route correctly so I can enjoy the walk without breaking my rhythm to get my map out, workout where I am only to confirm I was right anyway.  Means I only navigate when I have to - otherwise I just walk.  Each to their own.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 22:33:24, 14/04/19 »
Looking at owens links the intermediate navigation course offered here:

http://www.morethanmountains.co.uk/course/intermediate-navigation

Looks the most suitable (I can already do most of the stuff in their beginners course and it's this intermediate course that teaches pacing as Mel just discussed). It's £100 though and I'm worried I'll be too slow for them. I'll seriously consider it. Will ask them about how much ascent how quickly is required. Thanks again Owen.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 22:53:01, 14/04/19 »
Looking at owens links the intermediate navigation course offered here:

http://www.morethanmountains.co.uk/course/intermediate-navigation

... I'm worried I'll be too slow for them. I'll seriously consider it. Will ask them about how much ascent how quickly is required. Thanks again Owen.

You'll more likely be doing a lot of standing around working out how many paces to your next destination and then counting them to see if you was right.  As everyone's paces are different there is no "too fast" or "too slow".  You won't be yomping up mountains at breakneck speed, that's for sure. 

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 07:06:06, 15/04/19 »
Certainly wouldn't recommend relying on one device, but two is more back up than I ever had in the good old days when I relied on one paper map, which could have been blown away, left behind etc  O0
Where there's a will ...

motorlaunch

« Reply #29 on: 07:52:13, 15/04/19 »
Most of us carry a paper map and compass as a backup and they usually resides in your pocket or pack. If you want to become proficient with them, they need to be to hand all the time. Your phone or GPS should be the backup. Spend your money on a good waterproof mapcase, (Ortlieb is my preference) and always have the map open. That way you will develop your navigational skills. Use your GPS only when you have doubts about your position.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy