Author Topic: Which Jacket for my husband?  (Read 1652 times)

winterrose

Which Jacket for my husband?
« on: 11:56:50, 24/09/18 »

My husband (38yrs) has a NorthFace one at the moment. Its old and on its last legs. Served well over 5yrs though. I would like to gift him a new jacket. He prefers downs.

We are moving to Canada next year. Is it wise to pick a cheap one now and get something more suitable once we get there?  or just get a good one here straightaway?

Budget - under £200 ideally. But can go to £250 for the right jacket.

Style: He likes something like Arcteryx Cerium LT hoody. Insulated jackets with wide stripes.

Any recommendations?

« Last Edit: 12:16:53, 24/09/18 by winterrose »

Pitboot

Re: Which Jacket for my husband?
« Reply #1 on: 13:35:37, 24/09/18 »
Canada can have very harsh cold winters, so I would wait until you get there before you spend any money, see what is available on your budget. It has been my experience that Canadians spend a lot on one really good winter jacket that is good for -20 C and colder, but of course it depends on where you are living and what you want to do outdoors.
I base my comments on three trips to Alberta and one to Toronto.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:37:58, 24/09/18 »
I would think its best to wait until your living in Canada, and then see what's popular in the retail market over there.
Canadian winters are usually more severe and colder than anything we experience here in the Uk, so spending good money on a jacket over here, realising you need something warmer when your living there.
Its best to save the cash, and buy a coat more suited to the Canadian winters, and only retailers based in Canada know what jackets are the best.

Most Uk retailer would have little experience in technical clothing designed for weather that rarely occurs here in the Uk, simply because they would never stock clothing that their unlikely to sell.

Who knows, clothing may be a lot cheaper in Canada, so its best to wait, before any purchase is made.

One thing i noticed when staying in Boston some years ago, was the alarming disparity in price difference between America and back home in the Uk.

An Apple computer was quite a bit cheaper than the Uk, as were most other items, especially designer clothing.

I am sure its no different in Canada, as the Uk alway's seems to pay more for products that were made and designed abroad.
« Last Edit: 16:44:47, 24/09/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

winterrose

« Reply #3 on: 17:32:23, 24/09/18 »

Thanks everyone :)

He still needs a jacket/coat for this year's winter here in the UK.

Please can you recommend some good ones around £100 ? I checked with him and he says he is fine with synthetic filling too. He just wants an insulated jacket.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:41:05, 24/09/18 »
My suggestion is have a look at Alpkit.

Pitboot

winterrose

« Reply #6 on: 13:04:33, 26/09/18 »
Thanks all for your recommendations. My husband seems to like the matt colours in Arcteryx. Any recommendations for hoody insulated jackets with similar look?

Between Arcteryx Cerium LT hoody and Arcteryx Thorium AR Hoody, which one would you prefer?

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:27:14, 26/09/18 »
Depends what he's doing with it.

The Cerium is a pricey down jacket designed for backpacking - good warmth to weight ratio and very compressible. Good for that but not ideal for day to day wear with its thin fabric, sewn-through quilting, not very rain resistant etc

Also way more than £100 where I can see it being sold.

winterrose

« Reply #8 on: 13:58:58, 27/09/18 »

Thanks NeilC

It will be an everyday jacket. Is Thorium better for that purpose? Arcteryx is expensive - It's a gift, I might as well give him what he likes :) so that's ok.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:47:49, 27/09/18 »
Thanks NeilC

It will be an everyday jacket. Is Thorium better for that purpose? Arcteryx is expensive - It's a gift, I might as well give him what he likes :) so that's ok.

Might be. I'm not all that familiar with their range unfortunately. I think I'd want proper baffled quilting not sewn through as it avoids cold spots.

My personal opinion is that lightweight, non-waterproofed down jackets make little sense for most UK urban situations. It needs to be both cold and dry, which only covers a small part of the weather we get. Of course if you're the type that goes out in layers then I guess that works out but most people just want to grab one jacket off the peg and leave the house, or at least I do. So synthetic insulation makes sense given ultralight weight isn't required.

But that's me, not you. So if you want a super lightweight down jacket I imagine these are very good given the brands reputation. I just wouldnt select the lightest one they make.

zero

« Reply #10 on: 13:29:00, 07/10/18 »
Agree with what's been posted. Also depends where in Canada you're moving to. Have been there in +40C and -40C (with windchill) so it can be varied! My friend will commonly get 9 months of bad weather and 7 months where it will snow.

There are a few well insulated jackets on sale now - from Montane Featherlite (down) through to things like Montane's now discontinued but still excellent and warm Hi-Q Luxe. Both can be found for under £100 - or get equivalent ones. Arcteryx are great but do you really want to spend the extra? Up to you... For serious Canadian winters you may want something more substantial and hard-wearing. Get that in Canada! Do as the locals do...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy