Author Topic: Thames path  (Read 1152 times)

Willett88

Thames path
« on: 16:58:03, 27/01/19 »
Hi all, Im currently planning to walk from Dartford qe2 bridge to Richmond following the river bank as close as possible, my only concern is how accessible a route is between Dartford and Erith due to it being very industrial and desolute? Has anybody walked this path before? Many thanks James

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Thames path
« Reply #1 on: 17:30:14, 27/01/19 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've walked Erith to the River Darent and it is a bit 'post industrial waste' land but completely possible. What I don't know, and can't tell from the map, is where you would cross the River Darent. It could be a very long detour in land, possibly as far as Dartford. The A206 doesn't appear to be very walker friendly.

TR here http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=24480.0
« Last Edit: 17:39:51, 27/01/19 by Ridge »

Willett88

« Reply #2 on: 18:09:24, 27/01/19 »
Hi, many thanks for the info, there is a "crossing" of sorts right at the mouth of the Darent but again it appears very industrial and not meant for public use when i viewed it on google earth? Yes otherwise its huge detour following beautiful A roads for a bit and a bit dicey like you say, otherwise i might just start the walk from the start of the official thames path at Erith most likely

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:17:42, 27/01/19 »
From what I remember it is a barrage, to stop the river flooding when the Thames is high, and completely inaccessible.

Willett88

« Reply #4 on: 18:27:10, 27/01/19 »
Yes i think your right ,when looking at it once again, [censored]! Always believed the bridge was the symbolic start/end of the river in my opinion, still look forward to navigating the endless meandered of the Thames and finish off in tranquil Richmond with nice pint of ale :) , thanks again!!

astaman

« Reply #5 on: 09:37:21, 28/01/19 »
When I walked the Thames path I started at Earith precisely because of the difficulties of negotiating the terrain downstream. The rewards just didn't seem to justify the effort. I would really have liked to start at Rochester and come around the Allhallows reclaimed marshland but maybe another day.

Doddy

« Reply #6 on: 11:45:43, 08/02/19 »
I walked all of it a couple of years ago, I cannot remember any issues on that section or any others for that matter. Most of the time I used the train to get back each evening to my micro camper. Later on in the built up London area I took the train back and forth to my daughter place in Enfield.

Doddy

« Reply #7 on: 11:58:29, 08/02/19 »
Apologies I stopped at the Barrier so not answering your question.

Rather be walking

« Reply #8 on: 12:08:34, 08/02/19 »
Hi all, Im currently planning to walk from Dartford qe2 bridge to Richmond following the river bank as close as possible, my only concern is how accessible a route is between Dartford and Erith due to it being very industrial and desolute? Has anybody walked this path before? Many thanks James
I haven't walked myself but here's a good site for info https://ramblingman.org.uk/walks/thames-path/

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy