Author Topic: Combs Reservoir - or, "There and Back Again" (apologies to JRR Tolkien)  (Read 1957 times)

adalard

• Veteran Member
Afternoon all  :)

Just finished a blog post about a walk we did locally at the beginning of December. It was the first time we'd been out exploring where we now live in proper winter conditions so it was great to see the scenery transformed by the snow.

Image may contain: sky, snow, mountain, cloud, outdoor and nature
Black Edge, Hob Tor and Lady Low.

Image may contain: mountain, sky, outdoor and nature
Castle Naze.

Image may contain: sky, snow, tree, outdoor and nature
Combs Reservoir - we walked into Combs & had lunch at the pub before walking around the reservoir and then back home over the hill.

Image may contain: horse, sky, snow, tree, outdoor and nature
Came over to say hello, although I suspected it might be "cupboard love" behind their friendliness.

Image may contain: sky, mountain, outdoor, nature and water
Looking over to Castle Naze and Combs Edge from the reservoir dam.

As always, more pictures and a full trip report at the blog:

http://www.occasionallylost.com/2018/01/combs-reservoir.html

Cheers.  O0

April

• Veteran Member
I've just spent 10 minutes writing a long reply to your report only to lose it all when I hit "post" and my session had timed out  ;D

Thank you for your lovely report, just what my tired an emotional mind needs  O0

I think starlings are squawking [censored]****s and you call them spirited personalities  :) You have a much better way with words than me  ;D

They are fabulously marked birds though and they do get well fed at Aprils wild bird café

Great pics and well written report as usual, thank you adalard  O0
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
Lovely write up of your there and back again walk.  There's no better reason for a walk than a pub meal.

I chuckled at the Johnny Morris/Animal Magic style horse-thoughts caption for your walking on ice technique  ;D

Thanks for posting  O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos and enjoyable TR adalard   :)    The snow, the sunshine and the blue skies are a magical combination

pleb

• Veteran Member
Splendid stuff  O0
Is ridge farm owned by Ridge?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

adalard

• Veteran Member
Thank you for your lovely report, just what my tired an emotional mind needs  O0

I think starlings are squawking [censored]****s and you call them spirited personalities  :) You have a much better way with words than me  ;D

They are fabulously marked birds though and they do get well fed at Aprils wild bird café

Great pics and well written report as usual, thank you adalard  O0

Thanks, April  :)   Sorry to hear your feeling frazzled - hope you feel more rested and chipper soon.

I wish my attempts at feeding birds were as successful. We put a feeder and one of those fat-filled coconut shells out around 6 weeks ago and neither have been touched.

adalard

• Veteran Member
Lovely write up of your there and back again walk.  There's no better reason for a walk than a pub meal.

Cheers, Mel. The pub meal is the first rule of walking in my book.  ;D 

adalard

• Veteran Member
Splendid stuff  O0
Is ridge farm owned by Ridge?

Thanks, Pleb. I would have knocked on the door and asked but it looked a bit grand.

adalard

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos and enjoyable TR adalard   :)    The snow, the sunshine and the blue skies are a magical combination

Thanks, Dovegirl - I agree, they're the ingredients for a perfect winter's day.  :)

Jim Parkin

Coombs edge is one of my favourite areas - I'm in Chapel

I was in Kent for this snow so missed it...

If you're ever interested in a walking partner - let me know

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos Adalard O0

Can you walk all the way around Combs Reservoir then?  I didn't think it was possible!

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

adalard

• Veteran Member
Lovely photos Adalard O0

Can you walk all the way around Combs Reservoir then?  I didn't think it was possible!

Tracey :)

Cheers, Sunnydale.  :)

No, sadly you can't follow the shoreline all the way around. We walked along the SW side of it and across the dam. Then after a short spell on Manchester Road, we made the loop back around on a public footpath across the golf course at Marsh Hall, and regained Cowlow Lane via Chapel station/Ridge Farm.

No automatic alt text available.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Ah, thanks adalard.  I'd looked at walking around it a while ago..but when studying the map, there wasn't a footpath.

T. :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy