Author Topic: Is this normal to feel more tire on a walking boot (compared to a Nike trainer)  (Read 1501 times)

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
I'll comment on the Salomon option...  :)

I haven't tried the model you've selected, but I do have a pair of almost identical-looking Salomon Sanford GTX shoes.

The shoes are comfortable, very lightweight, quite grippy and the waterproofing has lasted a relatively long time. They're close to being like a trail running shoe and are great for moving quickly on difficult surfaces. I like these shoes so much that I bought another pair for when these wear out (not long now!).  O0

The main difference between the Salomon Outline and Sanford is the tread. The Outline has a trail running pattern, whereas the Sanford has more a typical walking pattern. I suspect the Outlines wouldn't last long on tarmac or concrete but would be excellent for off-road use.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
Of course, walking on boots takes more energy than walking on light trainers. Boots are heavier and with every step you have to lift that weight up. On a nice even trail and without carrying weight, the trainers definitely have the advantage.

HOWEVER: there are other factors that can favour boots (though this experience is very personal). If you are walking on a very rough uneven trail, the added stability of boots can save you energy (at least subjectively). This is especially true when carrying weight.

I much rather climb a moderately steep trail on a nice even path than walk on a flat but very rough path with many loose stones etc. The latter wears me out much more. The stability of the boots really give you the advantage there, especially when carrying weight.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
i have been known to pack a pair of trainers in my rucsac to change into when i know there is a fair amount of 'pavement' type walking midway on a route.  Give the feet a bit of a rest almost and is noticably easier with the lighter weight.

I have done this in the past on really long day walks. I also do the same for river crossings, when the levels are expected to be above my gaiters.

In general though I choose my foot ware for the day based on the ground to be covered and how wet it is likely to be.  I have only worn my boots 3 times over the summer all other walks/jogs  in my walking shoes.  Now autumn winter is upon us I would expect the reverse. My basic view is keep your foot ware as light as possible, but ensure it provides the necessary comfort and protection for the conditions.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy