Author Topic: Small, lightweight internal tent light for long winter nights  (Read 1513 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
If I'm going to do any winter camping and to cope with long hours of darkness I will want to buy a small, lightweight lamp to fit or hang in my tent so that I can 'potter around' and read until I finally fall asleep. I might have to consider a head torch, but if possible I think I'd like one that's not fixed to my body. My head torch is not suitable for me, much too bright and is not viewer comfortable in the confined space of my one-man tent or if I used my bivvy.

Any suggestions, please.

April

• Veteran Member

We have this lantern, you can dim it and switch off half of the lights so you can choose how bright you want the light to be.

https://www.solarpowersupply.co.uk/product-groups/solar-lights/goal-zero-lighthouse-micro-flash-usb-rechargeable-lantern

We wish the switches were on the bottom of the lantern though. When it is hanging from the ceiling of the tent, it is awkward to switch it on/off/dim it etc. Other than that it is a great lantern.
Hate will never win

Zizag

• Veteran Member
Check out Iprotec Chamelon Led torch .
Not a lamp*
  120 lumens

Has a steel belt pocket clip (which you can hang in your tent )
It has adjustable Zoom ,Main beam or small beam Incorporating White ,Green (to read by) Red light 4inches long  and weighs 65grams + 1 AA battery 90grams .
Cost About £17- £20 .

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Petzl do a 'Noctilight' holder that effectively turns one of their excellent headtorches into a lantern.

Don't see the point myself - I either just wear my head torch on a low setting, hang it from the tent inner loop or lay it on the floor shining onto the tent fabric on a higher setting - the light reflects off the inner nicely. Wouldn't work well if your tent had one of those black out inners, mind!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
If you already have a power bank for charging your mobile phone and other usb devices on the go consider adding a plug in usb flexible reading light to it for a couple of quid.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexibl-Portable-Reading-Computer-Notebook/dp/B07NWTZWGN

If not consider buying a lightweight power bank which includes one for under £11. The one below is only 6.5oz/185g and also includes a usb flexible reading light and a torch/flashlight

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EAFU-10000mAh-Portable-Flashlight-Compatible/dp/B07Y57CYTF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DJYoAogCNM

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Thank you all. The Goal Zero looks like the one I'd go for but I think I'll try the LED flexible USB light first. I'm influenced entirely by the price difference! I'll send away for one of those first.

Unfortunately as a colour blind person I'm never sure which light will work best until I've actually tried it. For example, if I try to read an AA road map of the UK under my internal car lights every page is a blur but if I use the maps on my mobile phone they are clear and very easy to read.

If I buy the wrong light my book pages will be blurred, an irritating problem but I've learned to live with it.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Another option if you has a phone and power bank is to use the Kindle app on your phone and read from your phone. That way you can carry as many books as you like, without adding any weight and you don’t need a light to read by. The Kindle app is free and there are plenty of free books you can download.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
And when you've finished the book you can delete it instead of continuing to carry it, making your load lighter to carry.  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
Too little, too late, too bad......

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
And when you've finished the book you can delete it instead of continuing to carry it, making your load lighter to carry.  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
That would depend how the book is stored. You may have more or less electrons in the phone when the book is stored. In any case, you would need to be very sensitive to notice the difference  ;D

scottk

https://www.treadlitegear.co.uk/tread-lite-gear-ultralight-cuben-fiber-rechargeable-led-lantern-11g-233-p.asp

I have one of these and it’s pretty good. Just wrap it up with the tent and it’s always there.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
First time I've seen that site, really interesting. Is the cuben fibre covering used to enhance the light quality, or is it just a bag?

fernman

• Veteran Member
First time I've seen that site, really interesting. Is the cuben fibre covering used to enhance the light quality, or is it just a bag?

The cuben fibre bag acts as a diffuser for the light.

I had one of the earlier models that ran off a button battery. Much as I rate his products, this one was an absolute lemon, it hardly gave out any light at all. I wouldn't even give it to anyone, I threw it away.

O0 for the Goal Zero Micro Lantern mentioned earlier in this thread.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Funnily enough I've been using the same concept for ages - wrap blown-up carrier bag with an elastic band around the next of a head torch to create a lantern.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Funnily enough I've been using the same concept for ages - wrap blown-up carrier bag with an elastic band around the next of a head torch to create a lantern.

Bit cheaper than a cuben fibre bag!  :)

I tried that with my head torch, but I find that just shining it on the roof of the light coloured inner gives a perfectly good light, reflected rather than diffused.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

NeilC

• Veteran Member

Bit cheaper than a cuben fibre bag!  :)

I tried that with my head torch, but I find that just shining it on the roof of the light coloured inner gives a perfectly good light, reflected rather than diffused.

I bet, but does it make you feel like an inventive superlight backpacker?  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy