Author Topic: Walking/Trail shoes  (Read 529 times)

Forager

Walking/Trail shoes
« on: 06:34:18, 25/10/20 »
Morning I do a lot of walking on bridal paths and along picturesque rivers. I’m wanting to pay around the £80 mark for a decent pair of trail shoes as I prefer them more to boots.
Can anyone on the forum suggest any good shoes to purchase.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking/Trail shoes
« Reply #1 on: 09:00:58, 25/10/20 »
You'll probably get many different suggestions - here's mine.  :)

Salomon Sanford GTX from Sports Direct at £74.99 +p&p.

These are lightweight and mine have stayed waterproof for an impressively long time. They have a good grip yet the soles have lasted surprisingly well. 

My preference is to have three different pairs of shoes available which I choose from depending on the weather, likely terrain, time of year and length of walk. (In the long run, it's not an expensive preference because three pairs of shoes last three times longer than one pair!)

My other shoes are: Merrell Cham 7 - non-waterproof, cool, supportive, brilliant for long walks, but terrible on even slightly slippery surfaces. Scarpa Vortex GTX - waterproof, supportive, too warm for summer, grippy tread that wears far too quickly to use on tarmac.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Forager

« Reply #2 on: 09:07:17, 25/10/20 »
Thanks for the informative reply, I was looking at the Salomon Sanford shoes earlier today. O0

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:27:05, 25/10/20 »
Thanks for the informative reply, I was looking at the Salomon Sanford shoes earlier today. O0

I forgot to mention... my current pair won't last much longer, so a few weeks ago I bought another pair of Sanfords for when these wear out. That's the best recommendation I can give!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Forager

« Reply #4 on: 09:47:09, 25/10/20 »
I forgot to mention... my current pair won't last much longer, so a few weeks ago I bought another pair of Sanfords for when these wear out. That's the best recommendation I can give!
I will pop to my local sports direct store next weekend while I’m off. I will be purchasing a pair once I tried them on first. ;)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:51:13, 25/10/20 »
If you have one nearby a visit to Decathlon might be useful, they at least would offer you a baseline to work from as regards walking shoes.

Forager

« Reply #6 on: 11:02:19, 25/10/20 »
If you have one nearby a visit to Decathlon might be useful, they at least would offer you a baseline to work from as regards walking shoes.
There is one not far from me but I keep away from public transport the way things are with COVID.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy