Author Topic: Coniston walk ideas  (Read 726 times)

Toxicbunny

Coniston walk ideas
« on: 15:23:17, 10/02/20 »
Heading to coniston in a couple of  weeks with my dog. I'm camping at coniston lake so I'm looking for circulars in this area. I've got the old man of coniston down for one walk but looking at which the best dog route?. My dog is a good walker climbs styles no issue never off leash hes a husky. I'm wondering best dog route up the old man.
I'm also looking for a few other walks. Im not a hill bagger I like the scenery if its involves climbing a hill then fair enough. There is a stone circle and hardknott roman fort nearby. Anyone have some good walk suggestions about 10 milers as it's still dark early.  Thanks in advance.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Coniston walk ideas
« Reply #1 on: 15:34:42, 10/02/20 »
Of the routes I've done up the Old Man I would think Walna Scar Road - Brown Pike - Buck Pike - Dow Crag - OM - Brim Fell - Levers Hawse - Levers Water and back to Coniston would be OK with a dog. We did this in the summer, I'll try to find the trip report and post a link.
« Last Edit: 15:40:05, 10/02/20 by Ridge »

Toxicbunny

« Reply #2 on: 15:42:55, 10/02/20 »
Thanks , I'm plotting out my walks now ready. Hopefully the weather wont be as bad  O0 . My dogs ok but he has a tendency to pull..... hes a husky ! I dont like any routes that are a sheer drop.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:48:42, 10/02/20 »
TR of our walk here
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=38778.msg551836#msg551836

I don't think that there are any drops you would worry about but it is steep down to Levers Water.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:17:55, 10/02/20 »
TR of our walk here
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=38778.msg551836#msg551836

I don't think that there are any drops you would worry about but it is steep down to Levers Water.

Afternoon - great route that - I did that descent last wednesday and it was quite slippy at the top with the recent rain - so may be more so now after Ciara - no real issues but I would be ready to let go the lead if the husky decides to make a run for it  :)

Wetherlam via Lad Stones and then round via Prison Band, to Swirl How and Great Carrs is another nice route - take in Grey Friars too.  You could then descend to Levers Water, or continue to the Old Man for a full round.

Lots of mid level stuff to go poking around with the old mine workings too, though be careful, there are one or two trip hazards  ;D .

If the weather turns dodgy, a meander up to Tarn Hows from the car park at Glen Mary Bridge, then Black Fell, and then over to Lingmoor (weather permitting) and back via Holme Fell is a lovely day out.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:41:25, 11/02/20 »
You'll have no bother with a dog on the Old Man, unless you really go 'off piste'.

The other hills in the group are worthwhile, too, Wetherlam, Grey Friars etc - you could do the whole lot in a day, or break it down into two days. Caw, to the south, is worthwhile too - a grand viewpoint.

If the weather is rough, head into Grisedale Forest, or sample the delights of the Duddon Valley.
« Last Edit: 08:44:44, 11/02/20 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:07:30, 11/02/20 »
You should probably look at pictures or video of the Prison Band before you decide if it is OK for taking your dog over on a lead.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:37:20, 11/02/20 »

If the weather is rough, head into Grisedale Forest, or sample the delights of the Duddon Valley.

Another vote for the fells around he Duddon, Great Stickle, Tarn Crags, Stickle Pike and the Fox Haw ridge are lovely little hills with plenty of interest and all dog friendly.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:36:55, 11/02/20 »

Another vote for the fells around he Duddon, Great Stickle, Tarn Crags, Stickle Pike and the Fox Haw ridge are lovely little hills with plenty of interest and all dog friendly.

The Newfield Inn is dog friendly too :)

The walk up the Duddon gorge below nearby Wallowbarrow Crags is excellent.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Toxicbunny

« Reply #9 on: 11:59:28, 11/02/20 »
I've visited Grizedale forest before I walked the silurian way with my dog. A nice walk. I know last year at the lakes there was snow in march so I need plenty of walk options.  I climbed helm crag in diabolical weather and it took me a while to defrost  :-X  even though I had the right kit on. Dog loved it as it was hail and snow and hes a husky  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy