Author Topic: Borrowdale-Wasdale Circular - route  (Read 2227 times)

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
Borrowdale-Wasdale Circular - route
« on: 09:28:36, 26/09/20 »
Hi folks.

We are having one night in the Wasdale Head Inn next weekend and are planning on walking in from and returning to Borrowdale.

Route-wise I was thinking the following
OUT - Seathwaite-Sty Head-Corridor Route-Lingmell Col-Hollowstones-Wasdale Head

BACK - Wasdale Head - Moses Trod - Sty Head - Seathwaite.

Any views experiences etc on the proposed route? I'm not familiar with the section Wasdale Head to Sty Head so I wondered also about the path alongside Lingmell Beck. 

What other routes might be worth considering?

Thanks as always.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Borrowdale-Wasdale Circular - route
« Reply #1 on: 09:54:47, 26/09/20 »
You'll have no problems Wasdale Head to Sty Head

I couldn't go there and not go up some hills, I'd be looking longingly at  Great Gable, Green Gable, Base Brown, but that is me. It is a whole different kettle of fish than your proposed route.

On day 1, if it is dry and clear, I would encourage you to think about heading up to Lingmell and come down the front of it WSW-ish for a much more lonely walk. Take your walking poles it is tough on the knees. I may even swap the days so I went up this way.

You could also do Styhead Gill out and Grains Gill back but it is so long since we did Grains Gill I have no recollection what the path is like at all.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:05:30, 26/09/20 »
I've been up that path by Lingmell Beck as far as Piers Gill, nice, but it steepens nastily after that. Also, the path up Gavel Neese or beside Gable Beck to get to Moses Trod is a real grind (better going down than up!). I would be more inclined to take the rising traverse across the southern flanks of Great Gable. To spin it out a bit longer, if inclined, you could take a look at Sprinkling Tarn on the way back, and descend back to Seathwaite down the Grains Gill valley.

There are so many variations, for example - out by Grains Gill, Sprinkling Tarn, Sty Head, Great Gable flank down to Wasdale - return by Lingmell Beck, Piers Gill (the path, not the gully), Corridor Route, Sty Head. A short section of very mild scrambling on the Piers Gill path.

Whatever you do, enjoy your visit!  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:46:16, 26/09/20 »
You'll have no problems Wasdale Head to Sty Head

I couldn't go there and not go up some hills, I'd be looking longingly at  Great Gable, Green Gable, Base Brown, but that is me. It is a whole different kettle of fish than your proposed route.

On day 1, if it is dry and clear, I would encourage you to think about heading up to Lingmell and come down the front of it WSW-ish for a much more lonely walk. Take your walking poles it is tough on the knees. I may even swap the days so I went up this way.

You could also do Styhead Gill out and Grains Gill back but it is so long since we did Grains Gill I have no recollection what the path is like at all.

Thanks Ridge. The Grains Gill path was in pretty good nick last time I went up/down - in fact I think it is easier underfoot than StyHead Gill path.

We need the shorter route on Day 2 as we have a deadline. Full disclosure I now live in Borrowdale (and run a B&B with mainly walkers as our guests) so part of the reason for the walk is to walk some of the paths that our guests use to walk in on. But I wouldn't rule out taking Lingmell and going down the nose - I've done it the other way.

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:52:08, 26/09/20 »
I've been up that path by Lingmell Beck as far as Piers Gill, nice, but it steepens nastily after that. Also, the path up Gavel Neese or beside Gable Beck to get to Moses Trod is a real grind (better going down than up!). I would be more inclined to take the rising traverse across the southern flanks of Great Gable. To spin it out a bit longer, if inclined, you could take a look at Sprinkling Tarn on the way back, and descend back to Seathwaite down the Grains Gill valley.

There are so many variations, for example - out by Grains Gill, Sprinkling Tarn, Sty Head, Great Gable flank down to Wasdale - return by Lingmell Beck, Piers Gill (the path, not the gully), Corridor Route, Sty Head. A short section of very mild scrambling on the Piers Gill path.

Whatever you do, enjoy your visit!  :)

Thanks Richard. I'm looking at the map and your suggestions. I think I was meaning that traversing path (Bursting Knott?) by my route., and wondering how it compared to keeping alongside Lingmell Beck.

What do you think Corridor Route and then Piers Gill path down to get to WH would be like? Or is it better in the other direction?
Good to read people's ideas - get me out of my comfort zone.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:59:15, 26/09/20 »
Lots of lovely ways to get from Borrowdale to Wadale and back  ;)
On your outward day might be worth taking the path up by Taylor Gill force rather than over Stockley bridge this is a bit more hands on and has a little bit of exposure but is nothing to severe and the views of the beck are lovely.
Also on your first day there is the alternate descent down by Piers Gill but this is a fine weather route and has a short tricky section.

For your way back the Bursting Knotts path on the flank of Great Gable is the quickest although it's a bit of a trudge.
If more time was available I'd go to Black Sail pass and then take the paths flanking Kirk Fell and Gable to descend down Aaron Slack

And good luck with your B and B that's living the dream   :)

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:11:50, 26/09/20 »
Lots of lovely ways to get from Borrowdale to Wadale and back  ;)
On your outward day might be worth taking the path up by Taylor Gill force rather than over Stockley bridge this is a bit more hands on and has a little bit of exposure but is nothing to severe and the views of the beck are lovely.
Also on your first day there is the alternate descent down by Piers Gill but this is a fine weather route and has a short tricky section.

For your way back the Bursting Knotts path on the flank of Great Gable is the quickest although it's a bit of a trudge.
If more time was available I'd go to Black Sail pass and then take the paths flanking Kirk Fell and Gable to descend down Aaron Slack

And good luck with your B and B that's living the dream   :)

Thanks Karlh. It is hard work but worth it to live in this location. Feel free to check out our insta in my sig below.

Thanks for your thoughts - I have been up by TaylorGill Force before so I had contemplated it. Interestingly I was just looking longingly at BLack Sail pass and wondering about a route to take it in. Flanking behind Kirk Fell and Gable - I have not been there at all before. From Beck Head to get to Windy Gap/Aaron Slack -  would you advise the lower path to Stone Cove and ascending from there or rising to under Gable Crag. Plus that might make a decent day 1 route with the shorter more direct for day 2.

Great to have so many options. :-)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:22:14, 26/09/20 »
Thanks Richard. I'm looking at the map and your suggestions. I think I was meaning that traversing path (Bursting Knott?) by my route., and wondering how it compared to keeping alongside Lingmell Beck.

What do you think Corridor Route and then Piers Gill path down to get to WH would be like? Or is it better in the other direction?
Good to read people's ideas - get me out of my comfort zone.

I would definitely go for the Bursting Knott path, Sarah. This is also a route that will be of interest to your guests, if they do Great Gable and then fancy a lunch time pint in Ritsons Bar!

It would certainly be possible to descend the Piers Gill path to the west of the gully - not the gully itself unless you fancy a free ride in a helicopter! The short scramble is certainly no worse than the scramble on the Corridor Route, easy stuff, but you would be down climbing, and the walk down Lingmell Beck at the bottom of Piers Gill is nice.

And good luck with your B&B - I wish you every success.  :)   

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:26:14, 26/09/20 »
Going behind Great Gable and Kirk Fell, and then down Black Sail would be a great route in - but quite a haul up Aaron Slack, I suspect! Probably better to ascend beside Sourmilk Gill and go over Green Gable.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:13:40, 26/09/20 »
Thanks Karlh. It is hard work but worth it to live in this location. Feel free to check out our insta in my sig below.

Thanks for your thoughts - I have been up by TaylorGill Force before so I had contemplated it. Interestingly I was just looking longingly at BLack Sail pass and wondering about a route to take it in. Flanking behind Kirk Fell and Gable - I have not been there at all before. From Beck Head to get to Windy Gap/Aaron Slack -  would you advise the lower path to Stone Cove and ascending from there or rising to under Gable Crag. Plus that might make a decent day 1 route with the shorter more direct for day 2.

Great to have so many options. :-)

On this walk I took the path under Gable which I thought was ok with no tricky sections that I can remember, my walking buddy Sue descended to to the lower path and then climbed up to Beck Head and from memory it didn't take her that much longer
As you say,  so many options ;D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:23:08, 02/10/20 »
How did your trip go, Sarah?

(photos please  :) )

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:43:45, 02/10/20 »
It's supposed to be this weekend, but we are chickening out due to the weather forecast which looks especially bad for tomorrow. Sunday looks better so we hope to get some walking in - and photos taken  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:50:54, 04/10/20 »
Ah - got my weekends wrong - yes Saturday was disgusting, but better today. Enjoy your walk, Sarah. O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy