Author Topic: Where is Your Favourite Spot.  (Read 2217 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Where is Your Favourite Spot.
« on: 00:15:59, 27/01/20 »
So where do we all go to get away from the world and enjoy a quite spot out doors.

My favourite is probably Sharp tor on Bodmin moor.  It's only 600 yards from the car and 100m climb but it's such a great view in any weather.  I can sit there on clear winters evening and watch the stars for hours.

watershed

Re: Where is Your Favourite Spot.
« Reply #1 on: 07:38:08, 27/01/20 »
Gosh there are so many, but top for me would have to be Lang Clodie Wick.
The route I would take is over Ronas hill 450M to Stonga Banks (second favourite spot) which are 230M cliffs plunging to a stunning pink granite beach, with grand offshore, Cathedral like, stacks. Then follow the cliffs to Lang Clodie Wick. Sit there and watch the waterfalls pour over the 70M cliffs. the first time I was there I spent time watching a Basking Shark feed in the bay. I would then walk back through the hills past the numerous Lochs. Keeping an eye out for my favourites the Hares, Golden plovers, Red Throated Divers and our snowy Owls. this is about a twelve mile, trackless, round trip and one to be done slowly to savour.
« Last Edit: 08:22:09, 27/01/20 by watershed »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:43:56, 27/01/20 »
My local one is a stile just below the top of Portsdown Hill here in Portsmouth. I often just lean on it and look at the panorama or sit down and look. Great spot.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:55:56, 27/01/20 »
The top of the White Horse at Uffington at sunset on a clear summer's day is a good spot and was a favourite at one time.  I did mention to someone that it would be a great place to sit and drink a cool beer while watching the sun go down.  I was accused of being an unreconstructed hippy.
Solvitur Ambulando

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:22:31, 27/01/20 »
Half way up the 199 steps at Whitby looking out to sea across the harbour.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:49:16, 27/01/20 »
Difficult to choose just one from the many lovely spots where I walk but two of my favourites are

North Bottom, a beautiful valley hidden away in the South Downs somewhere between Ditchling Beacon and the northern outskirts of Brighton

A gorgeous little valley with ghyll woodland where the High Weald Landscape Trail and the Sussex Border Path meet, near the hamlet of Mott's Mill

Steveandsam

« Reply #6 on: 15:12:20, 27/01/20 »
The big bar, nags head, Edale.... Window seat looking towards mam tor after a smashing 10 miles with a pint and sunset.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:15:34, 27/01/20 »
So many places to choose from that I have walked in the past. Here is a selection.

New Forest
Coastal path in Dorset and Cornwall
Crib Goch and Tryfan in Snowdonia
Cnicht and the Moelwyns
Gower peninsula
Sands of Forvie, Cruden Bay (watch out for Dracula at Slains Castle) and St Cyrus beach on the Aberdeenshire coast
Bennachie is my closest significant hill and has fantastic variety
Torridon and Applecross region on the west coast
Firemore beach near Poolewe
Pretty much any beach north of the Central Belt in Scotland and most Scottish island beaches
Rona and the Shiant Isles in the Hebrides
Skye before the bridge appeared
Dauphine region in the French Alps
Julian Alps in Slovenia
Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary and Lovers Key in Florida
Morne Blanc, Vallee de Mai, Bird Island and Aride in Seychelles
Marataba reserve in Marakele National Park, South Africa
Rottnest Island, Western Australia

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:24:23, 27/01/20 »
Blaen Y Glyn waterfalls, Talybont On Usk, Wales. Have been many times, especially with camera in hand and very early,as the sun rises. It is in shade until midday but whenever you are there it is beautiful :) .

A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:40:09, 27/01/20 »

This has been scanned from an old photo it shows me, with hair, in the Cordillera Blanca, Peru. The mountain in the middle of the shot is Chacraraju 6112m. From it's summit if you look east you see the slopes dropping away and spread out before you is the whole Amazon basin. We saw thunder storms out over the jungle maybe two hundred miles away. It felt like we were looking down on them, although I'm not sure that would have been physically possible.

The pointy peak is Sgurr na Ciche in the Rough Bounds of Knoydart, taken from Loch Nevis. One of the most remote peaks in Scotland. The view from the summit looking down is fantastic, so I'm told, I've been there twice and haven't seen it yet.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:44:32, 27/01/20 »
The top of the White Horse at Uffington at sunset on a clear summer's day is a good spot and was a favourite at one time.  I did mention to someone that it would be a great place to sit and drink a cool beer while watching the sun go down.  I was accused of being an unreconstructed hippy.
Anywhere with a cool beer, I reckon is a cool spot.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:15:50, 27/01/20 »
Gosh there are so many, but top for me would have to be Lang Clodie Wick.
The route I would take is over Ronas hill 450M to Stonga Banks (second favourite spot) which are 230M cliffs plunging to a stunning pink granite beach, with grand offshore, Cathedral like, stacks. Then follow the cliffs to Lang Clodie Wick. Sit there and watch the waterfalls pour over the 70M cliffs. the first time I was there I spent time watching a Basking Shark feed in the bay. I would then walk back through the hills past the numerous Lochs. Keeping an eye out for my favourites the Hares, Golden plovers, Red Throated Divers and our snowy Owls. this is about a twelve mile, trackless, round trip and one to be done slowly to savour.

Now we're talking!

I was lucky in that my previous two jobs both took me to Shetland. Been up Ronas Hill, and on one occasion across to Stonga Banks - very dramatic and utterly remote. Never made it to Lang Clodie Wick, though.

My favourite haunt in Orkney were the clifftops along the southern shore of Deerness, especially in spring and summer when they were draped with flowers.

Now that I have moved 'Sooth' a few months ago, my favourite local hill is Hampsfell, a modest limestone lump overlooking Morecambe Bay, with fine views of the Lake District fells, the Howgills, Yorkshire Dales and Forest of Bowland - and on a really clear day, Snowdonia. Lots of hidden corners, tree covered limestone pavement and crags, and I'm really looking forward to spring to see the flowers.

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Yorci

« Reply #12 on: 21:55:39, 27/01/20 »
There are many places I can just sit and do nothing but contemplate the meaning of life:

The top of Malham Cover or at Janet's Foss (providing it's not too busy), the same goes for Mam Tor/Hollins Cross and gaze out towards Lose Hill and Edale.
In Devon I like the cafe at Waters Meet, Lynmouth and feeding the birds with bits of my scone.Red Tarn just below Helvellyn in winter when there is a good snow covering.

Locally I often go to the beach between Kilnsea and Spurn Lighthouse and just sit on the pebble beach and watch wind farms out at sea/scavenging the pebbles. Alternatively sitting on the bank of the Humber at Fort Paul and watch the ships sail by, beats train spotting!

Leave only footprints, take only memories and photographs.
Life is short, time is fast, no re-play or rewind, enjoy every moment and make it count.

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:56:38, 27/01/20 »

Now that I have moved 'Sooth' a few months ago, my favourite local hill is Hampsfell, a modest limestone lump overlooking Morecambe Bay, with fine views of the Lake District fells, the Howgills, Yorkshire Dales and Forest of Bowland - and on a really clear day, Snowdonia. Lots of hidden corners, tree covered limestone pavement and crags, and I'm really looking forward to spring to see the flowers.

Lots of alpine flowers and ferns in the grikes, also check out the blackthorn bushes below the limestone escarpment around SD 4037 7909 in late autumn after the first frosts for sloes to make sloe gin - a bumber crop there last year. ;)
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 11:30:47, 28/01/20 »
Thanks for the tip about the sloes - we are particularly fond of slie gin  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy