Author Topic: [TR] Edale Skyline Challenge 22-01-11  (Read 7156 times)

radder

• Veteran Member
Re: [TR] Edale Skyline Challenge 22-01-11
« Reply #15 on: 23:30:23, 24/01/11 »
Another great write up Mr pepper, wish I had a job where I got paid for writing Trip Reports  ;D

Mark in long trousers and a coat !!  :o   :o   :o

The shorts where on for the pint (s) in the pub Lisa  O0

Oh - and can I suggest a variant for next time that you would all enjoy - start at Mam Tor, go round the back, north side of Kinder,

I did mention this to Cliff on Saturday to do the Edale Skyline and also take in Kinder's Northern Edge, I have this route in a book and clocks in between 28 -30 miles so might be one for the summer  O0

Also big thumbs up to Nigel for the inspiration for the Lyke Wake Walk, looks like it is going to happen in June/ July  O0

So with Cliff picking the Y3P's and the Edale Skyline for January Radder gets to choose February's Challenge  O0  I will have a think and be cruel on how hard I can make it  ;D

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #16 on: 00:25:03, 25/01/11 »
Brilliant trip report a really good read,  thanks  O0
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

nvl35

« Reply #17 on: 09:44:47, 25/01/11 »
Another great write up Mr pepper, wish I had a job where I got paid for writing Trip Reports  ;D

The shorts where on for the pint (s) in the pub Lisa  O0

I did mention this to Cliff on Saturday to do the Edale Skyline and also take in Kinder's Northern Edge, I have this route in a book and clocks in between 28 -30 miles so might be one for the summer  O0

Also big thumbs up to Nigel for the inspiration for the Lyke Wake Walk, looks like it is going to happen in June/ July  O0

So with Cliff picking the Y3P's and the Edale Skyline for January Radder gets to choose February's Challenge  O0  I will have a think and be cruel on how hard I can make it  ;D

I could be up for the Lyke Wake in the summer Mark

Still toying with an east - west winter crossing but I'm struggling on talking the Mrs. into doing the support (can't understand it thought she'd enjoy 16 hours sat in a car on the Yorkshire moors  ;D  )
Don't wait for your ship to come in
Swim out and meet the bloody thing !

Barry Sheene

sgt_pepper46

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:27:51, 25/01/11 »

My breath is baited with anticipation... but make it the back end of feb please mr radford if you please.
40/214
8/283
13/190
26/253

Ciao Marco

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:42:32, 25/01/11 »
I could be up for the Lyke Wake in the summer Mark

I know one or two are interested in the Lyke Wake Nigel, So hopefully we can plan a few challenges in the build up to this walk around July time, But quite fancy the 35 mile Gritstone Trail to be done in the day as part of the preparation around May time  O0

My breath is baited with anticipation... but make it the back end of feb please mr radford if you please.

Back end of Feb will be fine with  me Mr Pepper, as I will be busy the first few weeks with birthday weekends away etc  :)

I have one or two Idea's so will post on FB then can decide on a date later  O0

But will be looking at a minimum of 25 miles  ;)

Boothy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 20:16:58, 25/01/11 »
The way my legs feel today after Sunday's somewhat smaller trek, I'm glad I didn't do this now!! 9 weeks off the hills and I've certainly lost my hill legs

Looks like you had a half decent day for it and well done everyone, not the easiest walk!
134/214

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 22:42:44, 25/01/11 »

I know one or two are interested in the Lyke Wake Nigel, So hopefully we can plan a few challenges in the build up to this walk around July time, But quite fancy the 35 mile Gritstone Trail to be done in the day as part of the preparation around May time  O0

But will be looking at a minimum of 25 miles  ;)

Lyke Wake sounds appealing once I get my fitness levels up!  :)

And I'm definitely on for the Gritstone and it's even in my neck of the woods!  O0

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:45:23, 26/01/11 »
Just to encourage Radder, my guidebook for the circuit including Kinder north edge says 24 miles not 28. But then I did write it so I could be wrong! Not as hard as you might think starting at Mam Tor as there is not much height gain until that pull up Lose Hill. The other big circuit in that area is of the reservoirs via Bleaklow Stones, from the carparks just above the Yorkshire Bridge Inn. I think that is around 28 miles, and rather harder.

sam40

« Reply #23 on: 14:00:04, 27/01/11 »
How about a weekend in the lakes and do the high street roman road
loadpot hill-wether hill-high raise-ramps gill head-high street thornthwaite crag
approx 23 miles need a car each end though

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:23:43, 27/01/11 »
Just to encourage Radder, my guidebook for the circuit including Kinder north edge says 24 miles not 28. But then I did write it so I could be wrong!

Intresting so are you the one that wrote that excellent "challenging walks" book way back in 1994 then ?

loadpot hill-wether hill-high raise-ramps gill head-high street thornthwaite crag

Don't go putting more Idea's in there heads  ;D

Sound's a good UN though  O0

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:16:09, 27/01/11 »

It's a good day out - we had a Forum walk over that route last year http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,9691.0.html but only managed 17 miles to Troutbeck  :)
I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. (Anatole France)

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 22:57:07, 27/01/11 »
Wow you guys have got some stamina!!!!!  O0 O0 O0 Thanks for posting this. Radder not in his shorts for once???
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

altirando

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 23:32:10, 27/01/11 »
Gosh! You are the one who bought a copy! The guide suffered the ultimate disgrace of being remaindered - partly I think because the photo on the front showed an entirely inappropriately equipped walker apparently doing knees-up-mother-brown in a puddle so the lightly-equipped guy/girl who enjoyed knocking off 25 miles in an 8 hour day didn't pick it up.  I bought the last half dozen myself, for gifts. Hope you have tried some of the routes - I did try to devise some long routes which had a logic. Not sure I could repeat some of my times at the moment.

nvl35

« Reply #28 on: 09:53:55, 28/01/11 »
Let me know what you're planning for February I kind of like the idea of a challenge a month O0
Don't wait for your ship to come in
Swim out and meet the bloody thing !

Barry Sheene

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 13:25:41, 28/01/11 »
Hope you have tried some of the routes -

Always thought that this book was aimed more towards the fellrunner than a walker, Because I feel fitter now than I ever have done before im trying to get away from the 10 mile walks this year and to push myself with these challenges, so this book has been my bedtime read the last few nights plotting on doing a few very soon. love some of the names like " Kinder Runaround" - Llangollen Lollipop" but quite fancy the 24 mile Long Mynd and the Stipperstones one for March  O0

Let me know what you're planning for February I kind of like the idea of a challenge a month O0

Down to two nigel 25 miles from Hathersage or 24 miles around the Staffordshire Moorlands with being away this weekend I will post up early next week  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy