Author Topic: BUXTON DALES WALK - 28 JAN 2011  (Read 7081 times)

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
BUXTON DALES WALK - 28 JAN 2011
« on: 23:31:33, 31/01/11 »
Armed with my trusty OS EXPLORER 24 map, I parked in the Long Stay car park in Buxton near the Railway pub, cost £3.50 for the day. I set off with a rough idea of the route in my head and headed on up the A6 Chapel-en-le-Frith road to the top of the bank where I turned onto Waterswallows Road. From here I carried on until I passed Townend Farm where I headed on up acoss fields towards Daisymere Farm, and here is a photo of an inquisitive individual I met on my travels. I think his name was Shaun…

The day was cold but sunny, with blue skies at the start.

From here I headed onto Green Lane, finding quite a few puddles which were still frozen solid.

I carried on along Green Lane, past Waterswallows Green.

The OS Exploer map shows a route which traverses through Tunstead Quarry but the signs pointed the other way, creating a detour towards Handybarn and a bit of road walking which took me past Tarmac HQ and the impressive site of the Tunstead Quarry works. This is a sprawling metropolis which looks like something out of a sci-fi film.

Here I bumped into a fellow walker who proceeded to tell me he used to work there and was now retired. They were knocking down the building he used to work in and he wanted to take some photos of the event for his album! I asked him if he missed working there and he replied that he missed it like pulling teeth! Enough said. I said my farewells and carried on and eventually came across this strange looking concrete igloo.

And this is inside the igloo. Good place for a party! Bring on the beers and the Barbie!

And here’s me standing outside my igloo. Oh the wonders of the self-timer.

I followed the edge of the impressive Quarry works until I came to a road and then took the path which led through Flag Dale.

As I progressed through Flag Dale it became harder to negotiate, bracken and branches blocking my way. It started to remind me of something out of a twisted fairytale, and I half expected to see Hansel and Gretal or the Big Bad Wolf come wandering through the thicket!

And then someone decided to put this obstacle in my way! Bleedin inconsiderate if you ask me!

From here I met a gate which had a padlock on it, so I climbed over it to meet the path which crosses south-west up and over the fields towards Mosley Farm.

After passing through the farm I came across the breathtaking sight of The River Wye, Monsal Trail and Chee Dale as seen from above.

Then it was a zig-zag path down to the banks of the River Wye.

And I came across these lovely cottages! What a nice place to live.

I then carried on along a path at the side of the river, under the imposing aqueducts of the Monsal Trail through Wye Dale to the Car park.

From the car park I crossed the busy A6 (Bakewell) road, dodged the traffic, and headed up past Topley Pike Quarry and up and through Deep Dale.

Not sure what happened to this chap. Looks like he fell asleep on a tree and starved to death.

I carried on walking through Deep Dale which I found quite picturesque.

And then I came upon a cave. Damn! Where did I put that headtorch?

From here I headed uphill, joining some of the Midshires Way. This is the view looking down into Deep Dale from the brow of the hill.

I then walked across fields past Kid Tor and through Cowdale.

Then it was on through Staden, and past the caravan park and the imposing railway bridge back into Higher Buxton where I made my way back onto the A6 and back to the car park.

The walk was approximately 11.7 miles and was an enjoyable, varied trek in pretty good weather, and I ended it in style in the Railway pub with a pint of lager shandy and a southern fried chicken, cheese and bacon burger with chips! Yummy!

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
Re: BUXTON DALES WALK - 28 JAN 2011
« Reply #1 on: 23:40:36, 31/01/11 »
Some interesting places and sights that you came across, and a nice day for it as well. Makes a change from a well worn route. Thanks for the report.

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:54:13, 31/01/11 »
Looks like you had a good day for walking O0

Cottages look like they're in a lovely spot too.  Wonder how many times they've been flooded though :-\

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 00:16:00, 01/02/11 »
Looks like a different interesting walk Steve - looks quiet on the walking front for a while, if you wanna get out just drop me a text!
Check out SLP Photography Derbyshire Wedding Photographer

bootson

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:01:53, 01/02/11 »
I enjoyed reading your report, lovely photos  O0

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:32:02, 01/02/11 »
And here’s me standing outside my igloo. Oh the wonders of the self-timer.

You're not twins are you? ;D

Anyway nice photos O0 . Great report Steve O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

Nomad

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:29:47, 01/02/11 »
Great stuff Steve and nice pics. You've not been worrying sheep again have you  ;D

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:07:04, 01/02/11 »
Every time I see a walk as good as this I think, Id love to go on that, but the trouble is the person who has just done it wont want to do it again the following week  :( I should really look back a year ago at al lthe walks and TRs aand see if anyone wants to accompany me.

Loved the views down overlooking the river, and wow wouldnt it be great to wake up every morning in one of those cottges with that view!!!

Ta for posting these Steve. Lets walk it again next year?  O0   Im slowly builiding up me fitness to be able to take you up to Helvellyn  ;)    Did 6 miles today on the flat from our house but this post flu thingy is still very much slowing me down, it took me twice as long as usual...
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

Exit5man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:24:39, 01/02/11 »
Looks like a great place to be Steve . Proves you dont have to be 3,000ft up a mountain for a decent walk .
Thanks for sharing .
Everyday when i wake up i thank the Lord im Welsh .

Never walk under a black cat :-)

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:19:58, 01/02/11 »
Did 6 miles today on the flat from our house but this post flu thingy is still very much slowing me down, it took me twice as long as usual...
Was your car stuck in traffic? ;D

Give me a shout if you come up with any ideas of places O0 . I do have a busy schedule but with enough warning I may well be able to join you O0 .
R.I.P. Dave.

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:29:11, 01/02/11 »
Every time I see a walk as good as this I think, Id love to go on that, but the trouble is the person who has just done it wont want to do it again the following week  :(

Got no problem doing this walk again mate. Infact I've been thinking of putting it up as a meet, maybe in a couple of months time. I think it would be a good one for most as it's varied, not too taxing and not too long...  :) O0

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:30:07, 01/02/11 »
Great stuff Steve and nice pics. You've not been worrying sheep again have you  ;D

Moi? Worrying sheep? Baahhh...  ;) ;D

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:49:45, 01/02/11 »
Nice one Steve - was that roundhouse anything to do with blasting in the quarry I wonder? Good escape for inclement weather. O0

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:54:34, 01/02/11 »
Nice one Steve - was that roundhouse anything to do with blasting in the quarry I wonder? Good escape for inclement weather. O0

Could have been Pete. There were a few of them but that one was the only one with seats still inside. Good place to eat your sarnies if the weather's a bit pants!  :)

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:09:32, 01/02/11 »
I've been thinking of putting it up as a meet, maybe in a couple of months time. I think it would be a good one for most as it's varied, not too taxing and not too long...  :) O0

Steve
You'll do! How far is the start from Leeds???? I did Mam tor a year ago and it took me ages to get through flippin Sheffield....
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy