Author Topic: [Trip Report] - Youlgreave Meet - Neolithic Sites (etc!)  (Read 9548 times)

joester

• Veteran Member
Seven a.m arrived without warning, as such an ungodly hour is want to do.
I arose (with no little effort) and began trying to rouse my family, but no-one seemed very interested.
I resorted to playing various stirring 'morning' tunes through the stereo - 'Wake-Up Boo' 'Sun Arise' and 'Morning has Broken'.
This had no effect, so I started taking duvets away instead...
And so it was that we were running a little late as we drove up the A6 through a misty but promising morning on our way to 'Youlgreave II', a repetition of the popular walk I organised early this year that takes in as many of the strange and wonderful places as possible on and around Stanton Moor at the south-eastern edge of the Peak District.
Fortunately we weren't the very last to arrive, but a good group of people had already assembled outside the George Hotel in Youlgreave:

In attendance were:
All of Clan Joester
Glyders and Daugther B
Gotmeheadshaved and partner Lynne
Peakbagger
cliff.pepper
Starling
Little Bird and Littler Bird.
Micky and Mrs Micky
Pasiro and Di with Tuvok, Chakotee and Kes (I think that's right?)
Gilly62 and Dex
Requiem
TheguyUK
I'm Spartacus

So not a bad turn out!

Following the same route as before, we headed south out of the village towards Harthill Castle Ring, the site of an Iron Age Hill Fort (but these days just a curiously-shaped hill).
The morning mist was dissipating but still clung to the hillside, making for a nice atmospheric start to the walk:

All the same, the steep ascent up to Harthill Moor proved too much for at least one member of the group:

And a rescue party, complete with carrier, had to be dispatched:

As we reached the plateau the mist had all gone and we headed down to the first of our proper sites, The Nine Stones (just visible):

(I'll let the others flesh-out this report with there own photos, in time-honoured fashion).
After we had marvelled at the four Nine Stones (!), we popped across to Robin Hood's Stride, which is very close by.
Robin Hood's Stride is a natural gritstone outcrop, although its twin-turreted shape can make it look otherwise, and give the place its other name 'Mock Beggar's Hall'.
Most of the group had a little play around on the rocks, the kids especially enjoyed exploring the place:

After we'd all chilled out at the Stride for a while, we made another very short walk across to its neighbour, Cratcliffe Tor.
Cratcliffe Tor hosts the Hermit's Cave (complete with rock-carving of Jesus, of which I'm sure they'll be plenty of photos).
The other feature of note (for us) is a slab of rock that's just right for sliding down, I managed to encourage quite a few members of the group to made the slide:

And even:

I think Abs regretted this excursion - 'When sliding down Grit - cheap leggings doth rip'.  I believe there may be photographic evidence of this, but I'm not the one to provide it...
As we left Cratcliffe Tor there was much activity of emergency vehicles - MRT and an Ambulance Helicoptor.  They seemed to be heading for the same place we were - The Druid Rocks (or properly 'Rowtor Rocks') at Birchover.
There are all sorts of caves and carved features amongst the outcrops of the Druid Rocks.
As well as our group, there were also a lot of MRT members hurriedly searching hither and thither.  Apparently someone had come off the rocks, but weren't able to describe to the emergency services exactly where!
Thus MRT members kept appearing, breathless and searching...
They eventually found them, and unfortunate casualty was dispatched in the helicoptor.
As well as this excitement, there was the rocks themselves to explore.  I like the carved chamber the best (and I think the kids did too):

Again, ther are many more photos from the others to elaborate on this, as well as hopefully some good ones of the helicoptor leaving (for there was much frantic snapping away!).
« Last Edit: 09:14:04, 06/09/10 by joester »
solvitur ambulando

joester

• Veteran Member
Re: [Trip Report] - Youlgreave Meet - Neolithic Sites (etc!)
« Reply #1 on: 13:17:10, 05/09/10 »
We had a little stop in Birchover village, where most availed themselves of the facilities.
Birchover sits just underneath Stanton Moor, where there are all manner of things to see.
There were 5 on our list - The Cork Stone, The Andle Stone, Doll Tor Stone Circle, The Cat Stone, The Earl Grey Tower and finally the Nine Ladies Stone Circle.

The Cork Stone is a pillar of Gritstone complete with handles and footholds for climbing up.
A couple of the adults duly obliged (prime FACEDOWN opportunity), whilst I had borrowed some climbing kit so I could belay the kids up it:

Chloe truimphatly topping-out:

We had lunch, and the kids played in the heather.  Can you spot Bea?:

After the Cork Stone, we made a short detour to the Andle Stone.  This is another gritstone boulder with 'andles for climbing, except it is larger than the Cork Stone and occupies a superb position above the valley.
Near the Andle Stone, we sort and found Doll Tor stone circle.  It's a small affair and not that impressive, but is well hidden, little visited and it does have a certain ambience.
(Photos please guys!).
We retraced our steps and crossed the moor to its edge above Darley Dale.  Here we visited the Cat Stone, the last bouldering opportunity of the day.
This time, only the kids made the ascent (they were all well enthused for climbing by this point).
Littlest Bird soloing The Cat Stone, E8 7c:

Almost within sight of the Cat Stone is the Earl Grey Tower, built in recognition of the efforts of the man who campaigned hard for voting rights for more people back in 1832.
Little Bird seemed somewhat of an expert in this field, so maybe she can tell us more?! ( I haven't any photos of this either).
The girls wanted to climb this too!
Last but not least in the Nine Ladies Stone Circle.  Some pagan sheep were worshipping when we arrived:

There is also a nearby oak tree, the branches of which are strewn with all manner of 'offerings' and various other items, some in memorandum of
loved ones.  The girls went a lay in the circle, Chloe claimed to feel 'lighter' so either she has druidic tendencies or is completely bonkers (or both).
Having 'recharged our spiritual batteries' (- Cliff), we left the moor to descend through the woodland to the 'viewing platform' at Beighton Houses near Stanton in the Peak.
Ripe for a group photo:

L to R: cliff.pepper, Theguyuk, Littlest Bird, Glyders, Pops, Peakbagger, I'm Spartacus, Abs, Bea, Requiem, Gilly62, Micky, Lynne, Gotmeheadshaved, Starling, Little Bird, Mrs Micky.
We returned through Stanton in the Peak, a short jaunt across the fields, and lastly a rather pleasant walk by the river back to Youlgreave to partake of well-deserved drinks and large portions of chips in the George Hotel.
Thanks all for a great day!
Joe
« Last Edit: 09:14:38, 06/09/10 by joester »
solvitur ambulando

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:32:27, 05/09/10 »
Maybe I'll get to Youlgreave III.

Thanks for the pics Joe. O0

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:23:02, 05/09/10 »
That looked great i bet my 2 would have loved this one if i could have convinced them to go  O0    bet you all had a fantastic time. Nice to see you and Abi and Bea Chloe and Poppy again (and everyone else!)
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

carolina2k9

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:32:09, 05/09/10 »
excellant trip report joe!, gr8 pics and good weather too. :)
Happiness is only a Hill away :-)

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:55:45, 05/09/10 »
Great, just as I remember it from before.  ;)
Ilona

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:29:51, 05/09/10 »
Thanks Joe for another brilliantly organised walk.  Me and B had a lovely time and enjoyed meeting everyone there.

I'm now keeping this walk in mind to take my older two sprogs as I think they'd enjoy this one. O0

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:57:15, 05/09/10 »
Fantastic report and photo's Joe. O0 This was a thoroughly enjoyable walk so thank you for being our guide for the day and organising it all. O0

Pssst!! By the way; in the group shot at the end you missed off Starling in the list of attendees. Don't worry though, I've edited it so no one will ever know... ;)
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:56:36, 05/09/10 »
Cracking trip report which encompasses the day in excellent fashion! Good photos aswell. A thoroughly enjoyable walk which is very diverse and interesting. Me and Lynne really enjoyed it and you did a superb job in organising and leading it. Well done Joe!  O0

Steve and Lynne

p.s. I will post some of my photos soon...promise!
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

Gilly62

« Reply #9 on: 20:45:58, 05/09/10 »
Great pics Joester - thanks again for organising a brilliant day and managing to book the good weather!!!  Its a part of the world that I/we will be visiting again I think.  Dexter enjoyed himself too ..... especially Micky's biscuits!!!! O0   Pictures to follow, once I have remembered how to post them!! :D

Ere, I've just noticed you've got me down as Gilly52 and i'm Gilly62 ...... and you know how sensitive us ladies are about our age,  er no I mean names !!!!!!  :2funny: :2funny:
The only way is up!!

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:52:13, 05/09/10 »
Meant to say I loved that pic of B behind the heather and the ones with Chloe on the Cork Stone.

Look forward to seeing more pics from others.

Starling

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:54:24, 05/09/10 »

Joe.  It was a fabulous day out and thank you very much for organising it.  Very much looking towards another walk in the peaks.

Photography class doesn't start until January, so until then,  a couple of photos from my gallery of the day.

In no particular order...

The (four) Nine Stones.  That's the rocks btw, not the four kids in the picture.  (yes, there are four)

Not quite what to call this one, so I'll leave it blank.

Facedown.  (Would be more impressive but background heather has shown up and looks as though it's part of the rock. oh, well)

Name That Bum (or, You're Supposed to Facedown on TOP of the rock, not inside it. ::) )

While some members of the group were busy sliding down rocks, others turned their attention to discussing food. 

Charms in Tree.  And some blokes.

Thank you. I'll let someone else post a piccie of the carving in the cave.  And also the helicopter, as I missed it.   :-X
Life is a journey... always take the scenic route

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:57:48, 05/09/10 »
Looks like a great day, I just wish everywhere wasnt so far for us to get to. Still, couldn't get to everything anyway! Glad you all had a good time, thanks for the pics  O0
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

Mrs Micky (Moosetypes)

« Reply #13 on: 21:49:14, 05/09/10 »
Well, this was my first meet with other half (Micky), and after having a great walk / day out, and meeting some lovely people, I decided it was time I officially became a member.  :)

Joester - thanks for organising a lovely day out, and for creating this trip report. No doubt Micky will add some of our pictures too - I will leave that to him as he knows what to do.

Nice to meet you all and hope to see you again sometime soon.

Glyders

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:52:23, 05/09/10 »
Yay! Mrs Micky, you're here O0 O0

Should I ask...  Moosetypes?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy