Author Topic: Lost guy needs someone to walk with.  (Read 2790 times)

OtherBanksy

Lost guy needs someone to walk with.
« on: 21:02:40, 09/07/17 »
Hello everyone, for the past three years I have been sadly trapped in my own business, dreaming of freedom and longing to explore the beauty that I live near. Thankfully I have now broke free from that awful life, I have a job elsewhere and I now have plenty of free time. Naturally I find myself wandering the the Peak District which is amazing but I feel inexperienced, unprepared and wanting to join someone.

I want to embrace this lifestyle and I want to get to know like minded people, something which is non existent where I currently live.

I am a 29 year old guy, despite looking at me I am a guy that lacks stamina but is stubborn enough to grind through anything you can give me!

Help me be amongst people that want to do the same things I want to do and I can soon develop into a walking machine like I used to be. No age, no gender, let me join you!

Thank you!

alewife

• Veteran Member
Re: Lost guy needs someone to walk with.
« Reply #1 on: 23:48:35, 09/07/17 »
So perhaps join a local walking group, and maybe sign up for a navigation course. That would start you off anyway. Good luck.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Moorview

« Reply #2 on: 22:04:52, 11/07/17 »
+1to alewife's idea.We are sadly too far from the peaks now but we joined our local ramblers.Made so welcome.Well worth a try.
Good luck ad enjoy the peaks.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:24:15, 12/07/17 »
There are quite a few folk on here who live in the Peak District, including me, so hopefully someone will give you a shout out.

I usually walk alone as I'm quite slow and I stop a lot to take pictures which I know frustrates some people, plus I have a knee issue at the moment that's stopping me from doing anything much. Once that's sorted, I don't mind if you want to tag along with me sometimes. Whereabouts in the Peak District are you?

As an aside, there's a group on Facebook (if you use it) called Walking for Pleasure - it's a really friendly group, great for advice, ideas and sharing photos but the main thing is that they organise regular meet-ups for group walks. Might be worth checking out.

Pura Vida

« Reply #4 on: 12:51:59, 12/07/17 »
To get you started why not join SPICE. They have franchises in Birmingham, Manchester, East Midlands, Yorkshire. All of them run Day walks in the Peak and they offer weekends around the country, inc the Peak.

There is a cost but it would be a option to start to build a network of walking friends and helping you to build your strength/stamina.

You'll also meet some great walk leaders  :-[ ;)
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:35:24, 13/07/17 »
i sent you a private message  :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

willow229

« Reply #6 on: 09:15:33, 15/07/17 »
There's a group called 'Freshwalks' that do a quite a lot of walks in the Peak District. Their twitter handle is @freshwalks

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:47:08, 15/07/17 »
Call me cynical but here's another fine example of a new member who joins the forum, posts a question, then doesn't log on again to reply  :(

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 06:29:21, 16/07/17 »
Call me cynical but here's another fine example of a new member who joins the forum, posts a question, then doesn't log on again to reply  :(

The ones that "do my nut in" are ones where the very first post is a thinly disguised advert for some specific item of walking gear.

Obviously not the case here, surprised OP has not followed up in some way, even if only to say "good news, unexpectedly found a walking companion at.." or whatever.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:28:43, 16/07/17 »

..., surprised OP has not followed up in some way, even if only to say "good news, unexpectedly found a walking companion at.." or whatever.

I'm not  :(

Jor13

« Reply #10 on: 21:12:51, 17/07/17 »
im a lonely Peak District walker too, I 90% prefer it, you can wander where you want, when you want, at a pace you want.

But every now and then I think "wouldn't it be nice to have some walking friends", so thanks to those who have suggested groups, I've been struggling to find any local walking groups, so I am on with these suggestions already ☺️

Jo

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy