Author Topic: Drone advice  (Read 4996 times)

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
Drone advice
« on: 19:47:25, 28/06/18 »
we are thinking of getting son a drone with camera for his 30th birthday. (Trying not to feel too ancient writing that!)

Any advice welcome on features to look for and avoid; what kind of pricing levels  - want something decent that isn’t going to breakdown/fail on the first go. Reliable; mid price point ?

Thanks - the drinks are on me.

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Drone advice
« Reply #1 on: 21:09:24, 28/06/18 »
Avoid cheap drones you will be wasting your money,
DJI  amongst others make great drones,
The DJI phantom 3 is a good starter drone, but big and bulky, the DJI spark is really small it depends where it will be taken,
I have the mavic pro, folding so easy to take out, I even take it when carrying camping gear,
But be warned he will crash it, and repairs are expensive,
You can see lots of videos on YouTube to help make your decision  :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:56:47, 29/06/18 »
Do you think drones, for the general consumer, will become like the craze for radio controlled cars? At purchase they may look full of exiting promise but then, as my 14 year old nephew told me at Christmas, once the novelty wears off all you are doing is just wiggling a lever. He thinks his mobile phone is more fun, as he said, at least he can do more with it.

My only experience of a drone was when we did the Malham Cove meet last year, or was it the year before? I camped on the site just before the footpath to the cove, when the owner saw a 20 something young man start to fly a drone about two hundred yards away. He was incensed, jumped on his little 4 wheeled motorised farm scooter and roared off to confront the lad. All I heard was "You can't fly that here!" and the "eff off response". The both of them then had a stand up shouting match. Entertaining though, the lad won, the farmer just came back in a huff and flounced off into his house.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:14:39, 29/06/18 »
There are rules when flying drones you can’t just fly them anywhere you can get fined
There are no fly zones near airports, schools etc. For obvious reasons
There have been incidents where people have crashed them into planes and part of the plane fell off  :o

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:35:55, 29/06/18 »
Hmm; some campsites now ban drones; Church Stile in Nether Wasdale being a good example.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

beefy

• Veteran Member

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:07:45, 29/06/18 »
...... jumped on his little 4 wheeled motorised farm scooter and roared off to confront the lad. All I heard was "You can't fly that here!" and the "eff off response". The both of them then had a stand up shouting match....

The farmer had a point - if you read the link beefy provided it does mention about not flying a drone near people without their consent (presumably from the photography / privacy point of view).

Granted though, both sound like they could go on a manners and anger management course as it could have been handled much better.

Hmm; some campsites now ban drones; Church Stile in Nether Wasdale being a good example.

Probably for the same reason as above. 

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:29:12, 29/06/18 »
I’ve been buzzed by drones twice recently - on the Malvern Hills and the Corridor route in the Lakes. I am not a fan. Two women in front of me in the Lakes were similarly unimpressed. Both pilots clearly didn’t give a monkey’s about asking anyone they were flying near.  Next time I may ask them to land it until I’ve gone. I might turn a bit ugly if they refuse.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:46:25, 29/06/18 »
I might get a rucksack cover that says "I don't consent to being filmed by drones"  :D

In all seriousness though, it wouldn't particularly bother me (I'd probably smile and wave) but I might feel differently if I had small children with me...

Sarah Pitht

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:17:28, 01/07/18 »
Thanks all for your views and thoughts. I find them a bit noisy when overhead -sound like a strimmer going.

Beefy, given your advice I looked them up. I think they are a bit pricier than I was expecting. Might give him a drone try out day instead!

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:59:46, 01/07/18 »
Thanks all for your views and thoughts. I find them a bit noisy when overhead -sound like a strimmer going.

Beefy, given your advice I looked them up. I think they are a bit pricier than I was expecting. Might give him a drone try out day instead!
Good idea, just make sure that whichever one you buy has gps (cheap ones usually don't) because they are a bogger to control without,
You get what you pay for, and you can see why they are expensive when you realise what technology goes into making them  O0

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:25:29, 02/07/18 »
Idiots flying drones have been hampering helicopters' attempts to douse the fires on Saddleworth Moor apparently.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:49:33, 02/07/18 »
I think drone operators need a driving licence, insurance and regular training course, all charged at a very high rate to help Mrs May pay for the NHS?

I've had a run in with drones, used by kids to frighten passers by (only having a laugh!) and it wasn't funny at all.

Normal retail drones would seem to me that once the novelty of the tech-toy drone has worked its way through the normal capitalist cycle (what's the next big thing?) they could then, if they are not already, become dangerous weaponry and/or a serious aid to big crime? I think it may come under the idea of 'the law of unintended consequences', a bit like cars and lorries maybe? Designed originally to transport us and goods about and now is used in all sorts of nasty ways to kill and maim people.

The next big thing? My wife has just told me that Yo-Yo's are going to make a comeback!

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:15:23, 02/07/18 »
Every time I fly my drone, a flight log is recorded,  time, distance, altitude, speed, location, everything, and this can be checked by me and the authorities,
 If I'm near an airport, it simply won't let me fly, it can't take off,
 Other no fly zones I am alerted to, via my handset, the sophisticated "proper" drones all have this, it's the "toy" ones which are the problem, they are unsophisticated and can be flown anywhere (but not legally of course) responsible pilots like myself abide by the laws and rules, We don't want to have our £1000 plus drones confiscated by the authorities
How do you feel about people taking pictures of you with phones?

If you are using a drone for personnel use then you are governed by the Civilian Aviation Authority (CAA) Air Navigation Order 2016, specifically Article 241 (endangering the safety of any person or property), Article 94(small unmanned aircraft ) and Article 95 (small unmanned surveillance aircraft). This is the law and you can, and individuals have been, prosecuted for breaking it. The new Drone Code is available to download at http://dronesafe.uk/ along with a useful Drone Assist App created by the CAA and air traffic control body National Air Traffic Service (NATS) to help individuals understand their responsibilities.

think drone operators need a driving licence, insurance and regular training course, all charged at a very high rate to help Mrs May pay for the NHS?
What about powered wheel chairs, prams, and shopping trolleys?
 Maybe even yoyos ?

« Reply #7 on: 19:29:12, 29/06/18 »
I’ve been buzzed by drones twice recently - on the Malvern Hills and the Corridor route in the Lakes. I am not a fan. Two women in front of me in the Lakes were similarly unimpressed. Both pilots clearly didn’t give a monkey’s about asking anyone they were flying near.  Next time I may ask them to land it until I’ve gone. I might turn a bit ugly if they refuse.

If they are flying more than 50 metres away from you, and away from no fly zones, they have every right to fly there they are not breaking any laws I'm afraid
 Is it the fact that they were flying near you that bothered you, or was it the fact that they "may" have been filming or taking photos?
 Drones can fly without the camera switched on for photography,
 If they were flying close to you, you have every right to complain, and could report them.
Like anything else, not everyone likes drones, some people don't like people taking phone or other pictures, dogs left running loose, or a million other things,
 Would you ask someone with a camera to put it away?
 I dislike noisy people shouting on the fells where I go for the peace and quiet,but we have to tolerate them.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:46:23, 03/07/18 »
IMHO, they should be banned! ::)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy