Author Topic: smartphone/GPS/map  (Read 4626 times)

frustin

smartphone/GPS/map
« on: 16:21:19, 13/12/17 »
I know this has been discussed a few times over the years. However I'm trying to decide if i want to buy a standalone GPS.  I have budget for a Oregon 700/750/750t, however, all the walks i've done this year (about 400 odd miles worth), i've found that my iPhone 6s with Outdoors GPS app (which i pay for 1:50 OS maps) has done a brilliant job.

My concern is that i am going to wales for new year.  The weather is not known for being stable and usually blimmin cold at that time.  I have a battery pack that i usually take with me for walks, and i dont take paper maps (i dont own a printer).  The iphone has a drop proof and waterproof case so no water ingress will happen.  Outdoors GPS is great because its a cheap year OS subscription and it map's my walks.

The phone could die and it's good to have a back up.  Or perhaps i should just use the Garmin and have the smartphone as the backup, but then i think that the smartphone probably trumps the garmin for tech.  I'd be annoyed if the phone worked better than the garmin.  Maps are not waterproof and cumbersome and i'm not sure which walks i want to do sometimes or then i change my mind depending on the weather.

Decisions decisions.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: smartphone/GPS/map
« Reply #1 on: 16:32:58, 13/12/17 »
Personally I use my smartphone and I have a large backup battery which charges my phone about 5 times before it too needs charging. I've stopped using maps and use the app Backcountry, for the UK and SityTrail for France.  I usually stick to National Trails and other well known routes so my phone to me is more than enough.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:43:02, 13/12/17 »
Personally I use my smartphone and I have a large backup battery which charges my phone about 5 times before it too needs charging. I've stopped using maps and use the app Backcountry, for the UK and SityTrail for France.  I usually stick to National Trails and other well known routes so my phone to me is more than enough.

I hope you never lose your phone  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:44:02, 13/12/17 »
I carry a Garmin as my primary nav aid and my phone as a back up.  I don't carry maps.  I do so because I find my Garmin easier to use.  YMMV.
Where there's a will ...

frustin

« Reply #4 on: 17:29:35, 13/12/17 »
losing my phone is what i'm concerned about, it's the only variable that i cant de-risk.  but then i buy a £500 gps and i will feel that i should use that instead.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:12:33, 13/12/17 »

frustin - if you can't print, Ordnance Survey do a grand range of paper maps.  They can be bought a little cheaper here:

https://dash4it.co.uk/ordnance-survey-maps/series/explorer.html

Hope this helps  :)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:52:21, 13/12/17 »
losing my phone is what i'm concerned about, it's the only variable that i cant de-risk.  but then i buy a £500 gps and i will feel that i should use that instead.

I would never spend that amount on a GPS.  My Etrex cost around £120.
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:16:42, 13/12/17 »
Smartphone that use,  say Viewranger, are really cheap in supermarkets.[sub £30 ] Don't even need a sim. I use one of those as back up to my cheap EBOG Etrex. My compass and maps stay in my bag.  Map readers are aware that it is just as easy to mislay a compass as it is to mislay a phone, surely?

Wainwright never used a compass. Nuff said.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Lemmy

« Reply #8 on: 20:36:15, 13/12/17 »
I'm a proud dumphone owner so can't really advise on the efficacy of smartphones for nav purposes.  Maps and Garmin for me too.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:43:58, 13/12/17 »
I carry maps (in rucksack) have Garmin GPS, but to be honest, in the last couple of years I've used my IPhone6s more and more for navigating. Using 'Outdoor GPS' it's just so easy to see, zoom in and out to see the wider area.
So the mobi has a yes from me  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:08:18, 14/12/17 »
Losing my phone is always a possibility but I keep it in a waterproof bag permanently attached to me via a landyard. The one thing that does annoy me about the latest phones is there is no secure point on them as there used to be. So what would I do if I did lose my phone? I'd walk, bus or hitchhike to the nearest shop and buy a new one I suppose, or buy a map.

frustin

« Reply #11 on: 10:14:04, 14/12/17 »
Losing my phone is always a possibility but I keep it in a waterproof bag permanently attached to me via a landyard. The one thing that does annoy me about the latest phones is there is no secure point on them as there used to be. So what would I do if I did lose my phone? I'd walk, bus or hitchhike to the nearest shop and buy a new one I suppose, or buy a map.

There's a front pocket on my paramo that i would have stored my map when walking. i put my phone in that.  with a water proof case as well, it works nicely.  That's good in conditions that arnt too harsh, but black mountains in the winter is more of a worry.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:51:58, 14/12/17 »
I find the trouble with my phone is the screen is hard to read in bright light, it isn’t waterproof and has no attachment point. Also I have to unlock it to use it and if I close the case it shuts off to conserve the battery which is irritating.
On the other hand my gps has a bright screen which is always on, is weatherproof, has a clip to attach it to my shoulder strap and a lanyard so it doesn’t hit the floor if I drop it. Moreover, the batteries last for multiple trips and I carry a spare set of AAs in my bag.
Actual maps are a faff; they have to be got out and unfolded before use and then put away again, not to mention coping with them in a breeze. Either that or they have to be prefolded and carried in a map holder which either flails around in the slightest breeze or has to tucked away to the point where you can’t get at it easily anyway. I print out my maps onto A4 sheets, double sided and then put them in a clear wallet which gets folded into 4 and put in a trouser pocket.
Solvitur Ambulando

frustin

« Reply #13 on: 10:53:40, 14/12/17 »
I find the trouble with my phone is the screen is hard to read in bright light, it isn’t waterproof and has no attachment point. Also I have to unlock it to use it and if I close the case it shuts off to conserve the battery which is irritating.
On the other hand my gps has a bright screen which is always on, is weatherproof, has a clip to attach it to my shoulder strap and a lanyard so it doesn’t hit the floor if I drop it. Moreover, the batteries last for multiple trips and I carry a spare set of AAs in my bag.

What GPS do you own?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:57:24, 14/12/17 »

What GPS do you own?
Etrex30. Much the same an Etrex 20 but with extra bells and whistles. It was a present.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy