Author Topic: Hi from Worcester  (Read 2295 times)

Worcester John

Re: Hi from Worcester
« Reply #15 on: 14:36:59, 10/01/18 »
Yes, here is a photo on the Glyders in 1967

Disabled Ramblers https://disabledramblers.co.uk/ [nofollow]

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:02:13, 10/01/18 »
Bit of water has passed under bridges since then. I feel sure I should be able to put a name to your face, but at the moment just Miffy Smith and Branch come to mind, there were 2 of us from Shrewsbury, Lofty was my usual climbing partner. One of our number smashed up my mini in Basle on the way to Chamonix with some mix up about which side of the road those Swiss should be driving on, whilst doing a spell for me. We had to sleep in a log shed beside a railway yard that night before we could carry on by train to Cham.

Did someone fall through some ice on a small tarn above the Kitchen, no that Might have been the Liverpool crowd I climbed with a couple of years earlier.

Can you put any more names to that merry band? If I could find my climbing log for those years, but I think that is wishful feeling.

I would exchange but at the moment, after falling out with photobucket I havn't bothered to get a photo hosting site and to find one of such youthful exuberance as yours might take a bit of searching.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Worcester John

« Reply #17 on: 23:08:54, 10/01/18 »
Roger Smith (Smithy), Dave (Gig) Young, John Cuthbertson (Cuth), Dave Phipps (Phippsy), John Allsop, Clive Cheadle,  Stan Barnacle, Alan Greasley (Greaser), Paul Rose, Jeff Taberner, Chris Kimberley, Eddie Hutchinson are ones I can remember at the moment. Plus Loft Lawley of course. We also slept in the log shed - surprisingly comfortable.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 08:54:31, 11/01/18 »
Ah! the woodshed, Loft made an inappropriate remark as we settled down (that is by today's standards) I recall. "Ahs always wanted to be the .......in the wood pile,"
But I also recall a public convenience nearby, we used before we made our journey on to Chamonix, the water pressure was so high that instead of flushing down, it threw a deposit out through the door onto the pavement, hitting anyone, who happened to be in the way.

Welcome indeed,Worcester John, to this forum. You might remember me as Stu. I was not as regular as Loft, he worked a regular working week, I had weekend farm duties to perform and often only managed one day weekends. I lived close to the Myton and Mermaid on the A5, where many a climber stopped on the way back from Snowdonia, on Sunday night.

A very nostalgic roll call, been thinking of them last night, and many of the abbreviatons were coming back to my mind. Often wondered where some of you were. Loft was my bestman, when I married, he lives in Cyprus now.

Feel free to PM me, I may have some photos of that Chamonix trip, though it is many years since I laid my eyes on them.
« Last Edit: 10:28:09, 11/01/18 by barewirewalker »
BWW

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 09:13:13, 11/01/18 »
Ah - what a lovely coincidental reunion - the good side of social media :)

John, I've emailed for the Tatras digital mapping info - friends are currently wintering in southern spain - will post as soon as.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Worcester John

« Reply #20 on: 12:26:36, 11/01/18 »
Thanks Jac.

barewirewalker - I've sent you a PM

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 14:35:11, 11/01/18 »
PM received,
will have to work on the photo recognition. Let you know if I make contact with Loft. By the way my crampons went to Zillertal and never came back. I wasn't able to, had to spend that fortnight driving a combine harvester  :'(
BWW

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 09:13:43, 12/01/18 »

Here is the digital mapping info as requested -

TRAILS TATRA MOUNTAINS is the app I had installed on my phone. Google Play Store and search Tatra Mountains. It's blue and came up first as a choice. Worked well. Hope that helps your forum person. It was a good app and if you're quite careful, you can expand the image to show lots of detail. I thought it was really helpful and so convenient.

It was very useful as at one point we found ourselves on the wrong trail having missed a junction and were quickly able locate our exact position and decide whether it was worth turning back or continuing as the two trails ended up at the same refuge. We continued on this less used route and that was when we saw .......the bear! Highlight of my trip.

Worcester John

« Reply #23 on: 16:56:14, 12/01/18 »
Hi Jac,  thanks very much for this.  I've installed it and it seems very easy to use.  Please thank your friends for me.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:34:48, 13/01/18 »
Hi Jac,  thanks very much for this.  I've installed it and it seems very easy to use.  Please thank your friends for me.
Will do. Will be very interested to hear how the trip goes. Have fun - and borowikowa O0
My second highlight of the trip, after the bear.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy