Author Topic: Cheviots 28 Jan  (Read 684 times)

Ruth7701

Cheviots 28 Jan
« on: 08:08:53, 26/01/18 »
Hello

Unfortunately we have just one day to walk in the Cheviots this weekend.

We would like to do the 3 summits but only have walking boots and poles with us. No crampons etc.

What are the conditions like up there at the moment? I'm guessing the peat bogs will still be frozen but is the snow deep?

If the conditions are likely to be too hazardous can anyone recommend any lower level walks in the area please? We would be looking to do around 12 miles.

Thanks in advance.

snoopdawg

Re: Cheviots 28 Jan
« Reply #1 on: 20:44:40, 26/01/18 »
Hi I was walking on Dun Rig today up in Peebles and could see across to the Cheviots. The Cheviot itself was in cloud so I couldn't see the actual top but could see the area which has no snow. I will check my pictures and see if I have caught The Cheviots.

I've walked in the Cheviots for years all year round and have never used crampons nor felt the need to carry them or an axe.

Which 3 summits are you referring to?

The forecast for the whole of the Southern Uplands does not look good for the weekend

snoopdawg

« Reply #2 on: 21:05:36, 26/01/18 »
I've checked my photos and unfortunately did not catch The Cheviots. I've posted a message to a lad I know who lives in the foothills and has good knowledge of the conditions.

Don't know how well you know the area but a favourite of mine is to head up Coquetdale from Rothbury and park up at Barrowburn picnic site. You can walk up to the Border ridge from there, about 3 miles and go either left to Windy Gyle (3/4 mile) on good tracks or right to Cheviot ( about 4 miles) along the slabs laid for the PW. Good thing about the slabs is that you avoid boggy areas but unfortunately the best way back is to backtrack your route. If you want to check out Windy Gyle I could give you a link which includes a map.

snoopdawg

« Reply #3 on: 21:13:48, 26/01/18 »
Hi, here is the reply from the local lad,

"There are big stripes and patches left above around 750m on Cheviot itself but not a great deal. Would imagine that all the other hills are clear or virtually clear.  Ironically Cheviot is sometimes worse in that condition - heavy frozen snow on the top makes it easy to cross the bogs, but it can be dangerous when the snow is still thick enough to cover the path but not enough to stop you falling through.

I've never used axe or crampons in normal circumstances here either- if you can reach the car parks, the hills are usually safe enough "

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy