Author Topic: The Thirlmere Zip Wire Protest Sat 27 Jan 18  (Read 3325 times)

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: The Thirlmere Zip Wire Protest Sat 27 Jan 18
« Reply #15 on: 14:04:00, 29/01/18 »
Everyone had hoods up, it was no wonder we didn't see you. I hope you had a better view of the speakers; we were right behind the Look North cameraman and couldn't see the speakers very well  :)

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:05:03, 29/01/18 »
The Evening Mail has a write-up about Saturday's Thirlmere Zip Wire protest rally, including a video of the two little lads.

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/lakes/Lake-District-is-a-national-park-not-a-theme-park-declare-Thirlmere-zipwire-protesters-860e017c-a888-4efa-87d3-b31e139f9f4a-ds
They have fairly firmly nailed their colours to the 'Zip Off' mast.  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:05:05, 29/01/18 »
They have fairly firmly nailed their colours to the 'Zip Off' mast.  O0

Unlike the BBC report which seemed to be more pro Turnip  :(

Thanks for the link LL  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:43:13, 29/01/18 »
heres a short couple of clips from sat, i couldnt have been in a worse place to film, but
here it is anyway for those interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bjCrwnnhvc&feature=youtu.be
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:29:07, 30/01/18 »
Thanks April, Beefy, Pdstp & Lakeland Lorry for all the feedback, pics and video - what a great turn out! Finger crossed the event and our letters/signatures have the desired effect.  O0 O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:29:43, 31/01/18 »
I think a special forum award (can we invent one?) should be awarded to pdstsp who travelled all the way from Liverpool to attend  O0 He did get a few walks in too   :)
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:21:52, 31/01/18 »
Aww shucks April  :)   but it was an easy drive and an even easier decision.

I decided that I would come to the rally after becoming involved in the planning battle, through the passion of others on this forum who are far more experienced than I am in what makes the LDNP so special (you know who you are) - I have been holidaying in the Lakes, off and on, since I was 5 (I am now 54), but my knowledge, until the last few years was pretty lamentable.  I was chatting with a guy called Andy who is a NP Ranger (and if he's a member here Hi Andy), on the bus from Grasmere, on Saturday.  He was telling me that even he had wondered whether the campaign was right, until he had guided a group of mainly foreign walkers on the fells above Thirlmere and explained to them what TTT wanted to do.  He told me that their reaction was one of amazement that the LDNPA wold even consider such a development.  I think many people have had similar "road to Damascus" moments. 

We have very little National Park space in England.  We have very few UNESCO World Heritage Sites.  What we do have in the Lakes is an area that can offer all sorts of adventures - as was spoken about on Saturday - walking, climbing, mountain biking, canyoning, etc .  Riding a zip wire is not an adventure.  All risk has been removed, and the rider needs no skill.  This is a fairground ride, and one which will scar the physical landscape, create traffic issues and noise pollution.  I have seen  and heard  single wires in the Alps - it's noisy in an already scarred landscape. 

I believe that we have a responsibility to protect this environment.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:57:48, 01/02/18 »
Riding a zip wire is not an adventure.  All risk has been removed, and the rider needs no skill.

I think Doug Chalmers described it perfectly on Saturday at the rally. He mentioned people being strapped into a baby harness  :)

Here is a link to the FoTLD vimeo channel with the speeches
https://vimeo.com/user34320379

I believe that we have a responsibility to protect this environment.

We do and thank goodness there are a lot of people who feel the same  O0
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy