Author Topic: Hi from New Zealand  (Read 3102 times)

kiwi keith

Hi from New Zealand
« on: 06:58:04, 25/04/18 »

Hello everyone. Firstly, I would like to thank the entire U.K. community of walkers. You have a fantastic network of  walks throughout the entire British Isles and it has only been possible because of your efforts.

I started my LDWs 3 years ago when I was 61 with a 62 mile Lake District round. Nervous to begin with as I wasn't sure if I would cope but since then have done the WHW August 2017. This year booked to walk the Pembrokeshire Coast Path, 186 miles and next year the PW. Not at all worried about my abilities now.

I live in New Zealand  (5th generation New Zealander but will Scottish ancestry) and fly every year around August to have my holidays in the U.K. You have such a fantastic country full of scenic beauty, culture and history. I use B & B's with a luggage transfer leaving all of the arrangements to a dedicated walking holiday company. So easy!!

I have enjoyed reading a lot of your posts and thanks for taking the time to do that.

Keith Millar from Auckland N.Z.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Hi from New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: 07:29:51, 25/04/18 »
Welcome from Devon.
May see you on the PCP. We are walking it in sections.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:55:50, 25/04/18 »
Wlcome from Portsmouth

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:53:47, 25/04/18 »
Welcome from the Sussex coast    :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:47:34, 25/04/18 »
Hi Keith. Welcome to the Forum
I’m spending a few weeks on North Island early next year, apart from a commitment near Taranaki for a few days I have a free hand. Can you recommend any good walking areas?
Solvitur Ambulando

kiwi keith

« Reply #5 on: 07:01:39, 26/04/18 »
Welcome from Devon.
May see you on the PCP. We are walking it in sections.
[/Hi Jac. Thanks for your welcome. I hope I do bump into you. I will be starting from Amroth 22nd of August and arriving at St.Dogmaels on the 8th of September, flying home that evening from Heathrow. quote]

kiwi keith

« Reply #6 on: 07:02:40, 26/04/18 »
Wlcome from Portsmouth
Thanks gunwharfman.

kiwi keith

« Reply #7 on: 07:03:50, 26/04/18 »
Welcome from the Sussex coast    :)
Thanks Dovegirl. I haven't been to the Sussex coast yet but will one day.

kiwi keith

« Reply #8 on: 07:53:24, 26/04/18 »
Hi Keith. Welcome to the Forum
I’m spending a few weeks on North Island early next year, apart from a commitment near Taranaki for a few days I have a free hand. Can you recommend any good walking areas?

Thanks ninthace. Everywhere is good walking in New Zealand.  Taranaki gives you access to the Egmont National Park.

But for a truly memorable day's hike check out the Tongariro Alpine Crossing. Only about 80 miles from Taranaki. You will be passing Mt. Doom of "Lord of the Rings" fame.It's real name is Mt. Ngauruhoe ( Nah- rue-hoe-e ). You can scale it if you want. You would be crossing through active though dormant (presently) volcanic terrain. I've done it twice and would do it again. Always a bit different each time. 19 kms and walking poles are advised as there is a long, downhill slog which can be hard on your knees and toes. You should be able to Google the relevant details. Everyone who visits N.Z. wants to do the Crossing.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:50:30, 28/04/18 »
Hello Keith and welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:54:13, 28/04/18 »
Thanks for the reply Keith. The Crossing is on the shopping list.
Solvitur Ambulando

kiwi keith

« Reply #11 on: 20:59:11, 28/04/18 »
Hello Keith and welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)

Thanks Tracey. I look forward to seeing more of the Peak District when I have a go at the PW in 2019. I have visited Buxton which I enjoyed a lot but only stayed overnight and didn't have any time to explore the surrounding areas..

Keith :)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:15:58, 29/04/18 »
...I look forward to seeing more of the Peak District when I have a go at the PW in 2019....

I'm sure you'll love it! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

RogerA

« Reply #13 on: 09:58:58, 21/05/18 »
Welcome from North Warwickshire!

kiwi keith

« Reply #14 on: 08:53:21, 22/05/18 »
Thanks Roger. What a fantastic part of the country that you call home. I look forward to exploring North Warwickshire. Almost in the centre of England. So handy to everywhere.
Keith O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy