Author Topic: How bad should the weather be before you call a mountain climb off?  (Read 3085 times)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
   I have been out in weather conditions that could be considered to be dangerous,especially in the Alps.This has been on long multiday backpacking trips and due to time constraints it is sometimes necessary to push on,even in bad weather.Experience is gained from doing rather than avoiding but I don't put myself into dangerous situations on purpose,they just happen as part of the overall experience.

I always tend..because I do them so seldom..to forget that multi-day trips alter "approach" to things.

And...of course.. walks practically all of us regulars on this site would regard as innocuous would be regarded as "too dangerous" by a fair number of people...most likely any solo walk in a remote area would be regarded as such by many people.

If we waited for complete safety we'd most likely never set out.

Nomad32

I am like the terminator when it comes to walking but more often than not I have to go at a slower pace and take more breaks when it comes to walking with my lady. If I were to go up a hill I'd plan for the worst and hope for the best. There have been times when I went with my brother inlaw and had to turn back because a member was struggling or the weather took a nose dive. I'd rather have a nice time on a hill than have it soaking wet and miserable but you can't have it all.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy