Author Topic: Request for easy Lakedistrict fells for very overweight hiker  (Read 27916 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Hello,

So I want to tackle some fells but I'm 21 and a half stone at only 5 foot 8. I did Latrigg from Keswick and found it quite challenging at the start where it was steepest but manageable and I got up the rest of it. It made me huff and puff some of the way but I wasn't tired at the end of it and could have gone further.

Then I tried Loughrigg fell from moss common which was easy until I came to the stone "steps" at NY 342056

and I watched much lighter people than me slip and stumble on the way down which worried me about coming back (it's a lot harder to stop at my size), plus they looked like they went on forever (you can't see how high they go in the photograph but if you know Loughrigg you will know they go on for a lot more than the photographed bit). I think it's a bit much to expect myself to go up those steps and Loughrigg is supposed to be an easy fell.

But I could cope with Latrigg OK so there's probably other fells I could cope with. Can someone who knows the fells well offer any opinions? Thanks!
« Last Edit: 21:12:38, 06/10/18 by Rob Goes Walking »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

Catbells immediately springs to mind; a delightful little hill with fantastic views across Derwentwater.

Also, be on the lookout for good lakeside and valley walks - a walk around Buttermere, for instance, or use the steamer to do a one way walk from Howtown to Patterdale along Ullswater's wild eastern shore.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Thanks Richard, Catbells is on my to-do list but someone said they would go with me so I'm waiting for them to be ready. I'm glad you think it's suitable as I've had mixed opinions on it some people saying it will be too hard but I do intend to try Catbells.

I'll check out your lower walk suggestions too.

jontea

• Veteran Member
I would say try Orrest Head from Windermere. It’s not too high and has a good path up.

Or Wansfell Pike from Ambleside, again has good paths but a bit steeper and a lot of steps but if you want to push yourself then a very doable fell.

Just a word of caution regarding Cat Bells, although small and relatively easy for most folk, it does have a little scramble near the summit, but good paths up to that point. Good luck  O0

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Hallin Fell by Ullswater, climb from the ferry at Howtown.
Walla Crag from Ashness Bridge

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
I was also going to suggest Walla Crag, great views all around Derwent Water and over to Catbells.

ninthace

• Veteran Member

Might I suggest Loadpot Hill or Arthur's Pike. You can let your car do most of the climbing and park at NY 49785 21479.  Head NW to Askham Fell then W via The Cockpit to join High Street. See http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1654 (obviously not all of this trace) and http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2642 for my traces.  Good views over Ullswater.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Perhaps I should have added that I'm limited to public transport because I don't own a car but don't let that stop you suggesting routes that need a car as I might save up and buy one in future (I do have a licence) and I can always check if a route is accessible via public transport with google maps so there's no need to check yourselves. If you know a route is accessible by public transport though, that's a bonus.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Perhaps I should have added that I'm limited to public transport because I don't own a car but don't let that stop you suggesting routes that need a car as I might save up and buy one in future (I do have a licence) and I can always check if a route is accessible via public transport with google maps so there's no need to check yourselves. If you know a route is accessible by public transport though, that's a bonus.
Have you costed out car hire versus public transport?  Depending on distances and journeys involved, it can be quite cost effective.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Have you costed out car hire versus public transport?

I've moved to Penrith so this is a long term thing me hiking in the Lakes rather than a holiday. I looked at car hire and the cheapest I found up here was £30 for one day and £50 for three consecutive days (just hire, no petrol or car park charges). The bus costs £11.30 for one day or £28.50 for 7 days to use as often as I like in the north west. I usually use it for 3 of those days with a days rest in between. Anyone know of cheaper car hire?

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
It's been a while since I've done it, but I don't remember Gowbarrow fell being particularly strenuous

ninthace

• Veteran Member
It's been a while since I've done it, but I don't remember Gowbarrow fell being particularly strenuous
  I think this is the easiest way up if you use the 508 bus to Park Brow Foot http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?
walk=2750 or https://www.gpsies.com/map.do;jsessionid=278039BA3402D224CB01C4EA29EA202D.fe2?fileId=wqfywgbykabwiwwe
« Last Edit: 17:19:28, 07/10/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Thanks guys appreciate your help.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
Black Crag from Tarn hows is another straightforward one with splendid all round views. Also, while we're in that area: Holme fell?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

Something a little different - but maybe a bit difficult of access from Penrith.

Catch a train to Ravenglass; then the Eskdale Railway to Irton Station, and walk over Muncaster Fell back to Ravenglass.

Walked this route in reverse several years ago (but we carried on to camp at Boot; then over to the Newfield Inn in Dunnerdale the next day).

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy