Author Topic: Do you hike in the winter?  (Read 6828 times)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Do you hike in the winter?
« Reply #15 on: 10:32:43, 29/10/18 »

I rather agree with Gunwharfeman, My mood goes downhill with a bump when the clocks change.  I hate November.
Having said that, I do try to get out as often as I can, and some of my most memorable walks have been on fine winter days, It can be wonderful. 
It's the number of days like today, when you know any kind of walk would be a huge struggle against the wind and the rain that get you down.

Rather be walking

« Reply #16 on: 12:07:24, 29/10/18 »
Because of shorter days, I tend not to travel too far and walk nearer home but I am lucky to have a large chunk of the Yorkshire Dales within an hour's drive. Nothing beats a walk on a cold, crisp day, preferably with a cosy pub for lunch. Lots of them in the Dales! You generally get clearer views than summer too.

I like to see the country side in all its different characters.
I love winter walking up on the south downs and then a pub  :)

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:45:41, 29/10/18 »
Do you winter hikers wear crampons in the hills? What's it like climbing up and down stone bits with big spiky crampons on?

It depends on the conditions:  my options are: hiking boots; micro-spikes; crampons; snowshoes.  On a given day I will take one or more depending on what I expect to meet.  I also have an ice axe and hiking poles that I can put snow baskets on.
All my winter aids pop on and off easily so I swap as I go along.  My favourite type of winter going is snow with a decent crust - you can cream across that in snowshoes and poles and go pretty much where you like - slope permitting.  I remember yomping across Wild Boar Fell leaving "yeti" tracks behind feeling quite smug until I met a set of ski tracks.  I would love a set of cross country skis and skins but the conditions to use them round here are so infrequent I cannot justify the cost.
The biggest frustration with this kind of winter walking is access to the start,  When the conditions are good, the approach roads can be a nightmare.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:55:53, 29/10/18 »
Do you winter hikers wear crampons in the hills? What's it like climbing up and down stone bits with big spiky crampons on?

I usually manage with just an ice axe and a heavy pair of winter boots that are good for kicking steps in hard snow.

Having said that, there are times when crampons are preferable, if not essential; really hard snow and especially sloping ice. They are a bit of a pain to walk in, but even more of a pain to slip and fall too your doom!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:19:32, 29/10/18 »

Living in the Highlands looking out the window can let know a bit about what's happening with the weather plus MWIS reports for more information and of course the reports from the snow survey folks.. SAIS.. on a daily basis from usually the start of the Christmas holidays.
For the winter hills a pair of Scarpa SL's do for most conditions.....plus an old pair of Salewa strap-on crampons and winter kit in the bag for the day out....adjust to the conditions as found during the day out.  Being now aged I can select the days out for going higher up according to the weather on the day.....the stronger winds are a big consideration for the aged folks. 

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:01:05, 29/10/18 »
When I was younger and more foolish (about 10 years ago) I had no special winter gear beyond a thicker jacket.  One day I decided to go for a walk on my local mountain.  The first bit from the ski station was ok but at one point I ended up following the line of footpath I knew across a slope.  The path itself was hidden under a coating of snow with an ice glaze but I got along by edging my boots firmly and planting my walking poles.  As I went along the ice glaze got harder so I decided to retreat the way I had came by following my tracks. When I looked back I had barely left any for a fair distance and the slope suddenly seemed a whole lot steeper.
Turning round was a nightmare involving some frantic kicking and jabbing and a certain amount of heart in mouth.  The following day I went out and bought some crampons.  In retrospect - an ice axe would have been a good idea too but that came later.
Solvitur Ambulando

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:15:11, 29/10/18 »
I like winter walking as long as I'm wrapped up warm. I restrict myself to routes and conditions where microspikes are enough - perhaps in the future I'll find the time for a winter skills course so I can tackle some more challenging stuff.

Magic girl

« Reply #22 on: 15:38:56, 29/10/18 »
I hate the shorter days and along with my anxiety and panic disorder i have also been diagnosed with seasonal affective disorder.I find it difficult to motivate myself to go out but i find if i force myself out I actually enjoy it especially if its sunny I don't mind if its cold as I always end up sweating buckets I don't like it rainy and cold though and its those days i find really depressing when I can't go out.Inalso enjoy walking in snow and last year i remember it snowing i i was walking through our village and it was so quiet,silent even and I remember feeling really happy and relaxed(even though i was walking) I've also got some lovely photos i took several years ago when my son and i walked around the village and along the river,they looked like Christmas cards x

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 15:53:01, 29/10/18 »
I like winter walking as long as I'm wrapped up warm. I restrict myself to routes and conditions where microspikes are enough - perhaps in the future I'll find the time for a winter skills course so I can tackle some more challenging stuff.

I wish I knew when microspikes are enough or even when you need microspikes. My walks of late have all been headed out to places with very little idea of what to expect when I got there. I read this and this but still wasn't enlightened (do you really want crampons on stone pitching for example?). I also wonder how sturdy those little spikes would be under my weight of 140 kg/22 stone or if it would feel like ice skating (too much pressure on too small an area of the foot to be enjoyable as it's painful).

How do you know when microspikes are enough (and when you need microspikes)? Just experience?

dav

« Reply #24 on: 16:51:44, 29/10/18 »
Winter walking and mountaineering in the snow is fantastic. I always in Winter carry at least one ice axe and often crampons too. Crampons are little use in snow and without anti ball devices can become dangerous as the snow builds up underneath. An occasional side tap with the ice axe usualy clears it, but if snow conditions are like that it's best not to put them on. Crampons are for pure ice or snow ice. Snow ice is when the snow has partialy melted and then re-frozen, giving it a firm more solid texture, but not as solid as pure ice, it makes for really good climbing conditions especially gully climbing.Ridge walking in snow is safe and avoids avalanche slopes, of course youve got to get up there first but it's the 'lee' slopes you have to pay particular attention to.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:08:45, 29/10/18 »
Personally I love those freezing cold clear days, my absolute favourite weather, maybe with a little snow lying about too, swmbo hates the cold and wraps up like an Eskimo. I have micro spikes and flexible crampons, but rarely get the conditions where they are absolutely necessary to be honest.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:09:26, 29/10/18 »
I love a good-ole walk in winter.  Especially if the sky is blue, the air is crisp and there's a good, hard frost on the ground.  Brings a sparkle to my eyes and rosies to my cheeks... love it  :) 

I quite enjoy revisiting walks I've done previously to see the views in their winter finery.  Plus, there's the added advantage of knowing the route so I know what to expect and which routes to avoid.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:24:54, 29/10/18 »
I like winter walking but backpacking can be challenging with the long nights. 14 hours in a tent can get boring.

I've not got much experience with proper snow or ice axes etc

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 21:42:17, 29/10/18 »
I haven’t been out this winter yet due to an injury, but have had some great walks in the past. Of course, in the mountains winter starts earlier and ends later. In northeast Scotland we actually have 2 winter seasons: Light Winter runs from the spring equinox until the autumn equinox and Dark Winter is the rest of the year.

I have had some great days out in winter.: a clear, very cold walk up Ben Wyvis with far reaching views right across Scotaland; an epic adventure in a whiteout on Helvellyn on an Easter Saturday with no one else on the summit; turning back in blizzards on several Munro’s.

I would usually take an ice axe, but haven’t really used crampons. The ice axe has been useful on a couple of occasions: I found I could arrest a fall at 3000+m in the French Alps and it came in very useful to control a descent of the zigzags from Broad Cairn on the south side of Loch Muick in very icy conditions. I would definitely recommend taking an ice axe if venturing up high in winter conditions. It would also be useful learning how to use in a safe environment before needing it in an emergency.

Now a I am a bit older, I will probably be somewhat less adventurous.

chriscab

« Reply #29 on: 21:51:15, 29/10/18 »
When it snows, I love to get outside and walk.

Nothing like crisp snow underfoot!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy