Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 278944 times)

watershed

Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1320 on: 08:32:05, 25/07/20 »
Glad your on the mend GWM. Hope to read a back to normal report from you soon.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1321 on: 10:28:59, 25/07/20 »
Woke up this morning feeling fine thankyou and I'm so glad it's all over with. I then discovered that when I walked outside our house along the pavement to our garage I found that I couldn't walk properly in a straight line, I didn't notice it when indoors. I'm not worried about it though, I just feel so much better.

On reflection, it has its funny side to it as well. I remember at my lowest point on Wednesday crawling on my hands and knees to the loo. This morning my wife told me that I actually did this twice. I don't remember the second time at all. She was downstairs, heard a noise as I rolled out of bed onto the floor and when she got to the landing there I was on my elbows and knees pushing and sliding my bowl bit by bit in front of me to the bathroom. I just can't remember! I suspect that this tale will be told and retold.  :-[

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1322 on: 15:07:24, 27/07/20 »
Just about to head out for a wild camp somewhere above upper Eskdale, not sure exactly where yet. I'll park at Cockley Beck, head on up Moasdale, and see where my feet take me. :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1323 on: 15:26:57, 27/07/20 »
Woke up this morning feeling fine thankyou and I'm so glad it's all over with. I then discovered that when I walked outside our house along the pavement to our garage I found that I couldn't walk properly in a straight line, I didn't notice it when indoors. I'm not worried about it though, I just feel so much better.

On reflection, it has its funny side to it as well. I remember at my lowest point on Wednesday crawling on my hands and knees to the loo. This morning my wife told me that I actually did this twice. I don't remember the second time at all. She was downstairs, heard a noise as I rolled out of bed onto the floor and when she got to the landing there I was on my elbows and knees pushing and sliding my bowl bit by bit in front of me to the bathroom. I just can't remember! I suspect that this tale will be told and retold.  :-[

Sounds like food poisoning to me. Glad you are on the mend. O0

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1324 on: 16:32:13, 27/07/20 »
Across to the Lakes this week for a walk up Seat Sandal, maybe Wednesday. Still feels a bit odd going across after being locked up/down.....
My first visit since March to the Lakes last week; Barf, Lords' Seast, Broome, Graystones. Felt great to be back. There were a few people about (only a few), all I spoke to were avoiding the 'crowds' on the more popular hills. Normally this would be a very quiet walk. One couple I met on Barf were just starting to do the Wainwrights (Barf as No. 1), loads of happy hill days in front of them!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1325 on: 08:38:36, 28/07/20 »
Walking in Cornwall most of last week, arrived by accident on the top of Brown Willy to find it to be the highest point of that county, stumbled across a film crew doing their thing for some of the next series of Poldark on the cliff tops.

Did notice that there are large parts of the county where I CANNOT walk but was not there long enough to put it to the test.

Where will I be walking this week, now that is the question, don't know myself till I've been there, but it will not be as far away as Cornwall.

Mist you at the top of Brown Willy.  I was up there with CornwallCoastpathDweller on Sunday.  Hope you enjoyed the view. O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1326 on: 13:18:19, 28/07/20 »
Just back from a wild camp at the head of the Lingcove Beck valley, a tributary of the Esk. Parked at Cockley Beck and walked up boggy Moasdale, then headed upstream into what looked like Paradise in the evening sunshine, but I had trouble finding a decent pitch and ended up camping in an exposed spot tight under the steep south western slopes of Bowfell. Wind picked up (!) and it rained a lot, so I had a bit of a rough night, so retreated down into Eskdale this morning, then over Hard Knott Pass to the car - but I'll be back!

Upper Eskdale really is the Wild Heart of the Lake District.

Booga

« Reply #1327 on: 09:53:28, 29/07/20 »
I've been ticking off more sections of the Thames Path. Abingdon to Oxford on Monday, Reading to Goring yesterday, so that's the whole stretch from Reading to Oxford completed for me.My plan is to continue ticking off the downstream sections towards the Thames Barrier then finish the trail by doing Oxford to the source, walking and camping over 4 days.

Dread

« Reply #1328 on: 12:30:26, 29/07/20 »
There were two days this week when I knew that I wouldn't be missed at work so could skive off for a walk, Monday when it was going to pee down all day or Friday predicted to be the hottest day of the year so far. I prefer to be soaked from the outside rather than inside so went for Monday. Lightning was forecast but never materialised which was lucky as I was very exposed at some points and I always fall over when I try to do that crouching on your toes lightning position. I couldn't go far so just had a 12 mile stroll North of Leeds taking in Shadwell, Wike, Scarcroft and Thorner, along parts of the Leeds Country Way. A mostly level walk so the miles whizzed by. Arrived home soaked and happy. No one was any the wiser. Stealth walking!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1329 on: 14:13:08, 31/07/20 »
Went up Snowdon yesterday afternoon, and it was surprisingly quiet, so the bedlam and huge numbers must be reserved for the weekend.

Ive lost count of how many times ive been to the top over the years, it must be approaching a hundred times, which is not a exageration.

I am ever so glad i made the effort, as the view from the summit, was one of the finest i can ever remember.

There was no heat haze, as you normally get in the summer months, and the recent rain resulted in stunning visibility.

Everything, as far as the eye can see, was clear, and somebody on the summit platform, said they could see The Lake District quite clearly.

Just goes to show, those crystal clear views from the top of the mountain can occur, any time of the year, if the weather conditions are just right

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1330 on: 14:37:57, 31/07/20 »
Out on North Dartmoor today.  When we parked under Rowtor there were just 3 other cars.  When we got back the parking areas were packed out with holiday makers yet we had seen very few people out walking.  I presume most just go up there for the view.  To the lady whose car I followed down the single track road off the moor and past the Camp - it is a moor, not a flaming safari park!  You do not need to stop and look at every sheep, pony and cow!
Solvitur Ambulando

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1331 on: 15:01:43, 31/07/20 »
Went up Snowdon yesterday afternoon, and it was surprisingly quiet, so the bedlam and huge numbers must be reserved for the weekend.

Ive lost count of how many times ive been to the top over the years, it must be approaching a hundred times, which is not a exageration.

I am ever so glad i made the effort, as the view from the summit, was one of the finest i can ever remember.

There was no heat haze, as you normally get in the summer months, and the recent rain resulted in stunning visibility.

Everything, as far as the eye can see, was clear, and somebody on the summit platform, said they could see The Lake District quite clearly.

Just goes to show, those crystal clear views from the top of the mountain can occur, any time of the year, if the weather conditions are just right

Fantastic, it's an unbelievable view when, as you say, the weather is clear..... I've only ever been up once, having similar views, on the train with my late Mam!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1332 on: 16:28:12, 31/07/20 »
The annoying thing for the passengers who had paid over £30, just to reach Clogwyn station, was that you could see their excited faces, when arriving at the halt.

I had a quick word with the driver, and said it was a bit daft that the company had not decided to run the train to the summit.

Just because the cafe will remain closed until next year, they thought they would run services just as far as Clogwyn.

A lot of tourists missed out on a simply incredible afternoon on the summit of Snowdon.

There was little wind, it was fairly warm, and more than enough space for everyone to enjoy one of the finest  views i think ive seen in many years.

Yes the cafe and gift shop remains closed, well so what, a lot of people were denied an opportunity to reach the summit, and they could buy their pressies in the station gift shop downstairs.

It can't be easy for an attraction like the Mountain Railway, to operate during the current virus, but there was no reason the train could not go to the top.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1333 on: 17:12:03, 31/07/20 »
Sounds good, DA - don't think I got a view from the top of Snowdon until my 12th ascent.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1334 on: 17:18:40, 31/07/20 »
I have been enveloped in Cloud on the summit of Snowdon several times. My last visit was many years ago, starting very early in the morning in thick mist. At the summit we had the pleasure of seeing the sun appear through the cloud to present a sunrise over a cloud inversion with the higher peaks looking like islands in a reddish White Sea. You can’t get much better than that.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy