Author Topic: Y.Dales -- Embsay & Barden Moors  (Read 2783 times)

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
Y.Dales -- Embsay & Barden Moors
« on: 07:31:12, 07/07/08 »
4th July 2008

For those not familar with the Southern Dales the area is located just to the north of Skipton to the west of the River Wharfe.
We left the car at the roadside at Black Hill and took the bridleway over Embsay Moor towards Rylstone. Where the bridleway starts its descent to Rylstone we took a track upwards over Rylstone Fell to visit the cross which sits on the crags above Rylstone. I had been trying to remember when I last did this walk and it was at the cross that i got a reminder ....1995....the year the cross was repaired.

Rylstone, beneath Barden Fell and Rylstone Cross, achieved notoriety when several chronologically challenged members of its Women's Institute posed quasi-naked for a fund-raising calendar, public interest in which leapt with the release of the film "Calendar Girls", starring Julie Walters and Helen Mirren. Many of the outdoor scenes were actually shot in Kettlewell, elsewhere in the Yorkshire Dales.

From the cross we headed to the Obelisk overlooking Cracoe. The Obelisk is a war memorial to those who gave their lives in both WW's.
We then took a track over Burnsall & Thorpe Fell to descend to the Upper Barsden Reservoir before descending over Barden Moor to the Lower Barsden Reservoir.
From the reservoir it was but a short walk back up to the car.
Distance: 12.50 miles Ascent: 1582 feet Time: 5h 30m

Pictures of walk are now available on the website.

Dave

http://www.wainwright-wanderings.co.uk/

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy