Author Topic: Dartmoor Ten Tors Routes  (Read 9094 times)

peapod21

• Veteran Member
Dartmoor Ten Tors Routes
« on: 21:02:13, 24/01/12 »
I just found my old programmes from the Ten Tors Challenges of 1998 and 1999, and thought I'd share the routes with you all.

Both times I did the 35 Mile Bronze challenge.

1998 Route - Start Okehampton Camp - East Mill - Shilstone - Watern - Rough - Great Mis (made camp) - Black - Staple - Lynch - Hare - Kitty - Okehampton Camp

1999 Route - Start Okehampton Camp - Watern - Rough - Beardown - S.Hessary - Haytor - Black - Great Mis (made camp, again) - Lynch - Kitty - East Mill - Okehampton Camp

Enjoy
You have one life, make the most of it.

angry climber

• Account Closed
Re: Dartmoor Ten Tors Routes
« Reply #1 on: 00:37:00, 25/01/12 »
I did the full 55 mile course in 1989 as part of the Air Engineering School at HMS Deadalus.

Ten Tors has 26 routes named A-Z

I also helped provide maintenance for Sea King Helicopters to provide SAR from Oakhampton Camp for a few of the years in the 1990's

O God who has made the Earth of great beauty,
and who has given us the Spirit of Adventure,
we thank you for the beauty of the world,
for the courage and vigour of young people,
for the companionship and for the opportunity
to enjoy all these gifts.

We pray that you will keep them safe on this great venture
and grant that they may meet each challenge
and difficulty with unselfish courage and so find the
true spirit of comradeship as shown to us by
Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen 
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

andyj

« Reply #2 on: 10:03:14, 14/03/12 »
I'm going to have to try and dig out my old routes now..... (can only remember the odd tor off the top of my head)  ;)

For a starter, I've participated (and completed) the following:

1993 - 35 mile

1994 - 45 mile 

1995 - 45mile -

1996 - n/a due to broken right leg obtain during training on the side of Kitty Tor in Feb '96

1997 - 55mile - Route W - Shilstone, Steeperton, Sittaford, Pupers Hill, Hartor, Trowlesworhty, South Hessary, Staple, Beardown, Hare

1998 - 55mile - Route W - Shilstone, Steeperton, Sittaford, Pupers Hill, Hartor, Trowlesworhty, South Hessary, Staple, Beardown, Hare (we finished after the 5pm deadline, but were given our medals anyway after some 'discussion' between our team manager & parents, and the event organisors!!!!)

I was then involved for a couple of years with helping out at my old school, with the training of the younger kids.

Happened to bump in to my old teacher in December, who's still involved in the Ten Tors training etc. When I told him that it was 19 years ago that I first started training, he nearly collasped!!!  O0
« Last Edit: 10:35:57, 14/03/12 by andyj »

andyj

« Reply #3 on: 10:24:52, 14/03/12 »
For info, the Ten Tors website (which is still hosted by Exeter University) is here:

http://events.exeter.ac.uk/tentors/

and the roots from 1998 are detailed on this page (website is not particularly well laid-out!)

http://events.exeter.ac.uk/tentors/1998/TT1998.htm

oldboldgeezer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:26:57, 20/03/12 »

1999 Route - Start Okehampton Camp - Watern - Rough - Beardown - S.Hessary - Haytor - Black - Great Mis (made camp, again) - Lynch - Kitty - East Mill - Okehampton Camp

You had me confused for a moment there .. .. Haytor between South Hessary and Black .. .. then I realised it was Hartor .. .. lol - would have made it a 55 mile route else!! :)

We're busy training at the moment .. .. about seventy youngsters out this coming weekend and looking like the weather may be fine  :-\
"A smile is a curve that sets everything straight."

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:02:49, 20/03/12 »
I did the full 55 mile course in 1989 as part of the Air Engineering School at HMS Deadalus.

Ten Tors has 26 routes named A-Z

I also helped provide maintenance for Sea King Helicopters to provide SAR from Oakhampton Camp for a few of the years in the 1990's

Blimmin eck Graeme! I'm impressed!  O0

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

Ray Davis

« Reply #6 on: 13:10:03, 27/06/20 »
Thanks for the routes.
I am planning to retrace the 35 mile route I did in 1966 or 1967 (I can't quite remember which year it was). We started at Haytor and I think the first tor was Hound Tor.
If anyone can point me towards where I could find the 35 mile routes for these years I would appreciate it. Many thanks
Ray

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:15:53, 28/06/20 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Have you tried contacting the organisers? https://www.tentors.org.uk/info/contact  
Though the organisation/group which has run the event has changed a number of times and I would think it very unlikely that they have kept a file of routes for over 50 years unless they have had a number of forward thinking archivists, but you never know.
If they can't tell you I doubt anyone else can remember what route they did in a specific year even if you could remember what year it was.

Casual Ambler

« Reply #8 on: 12:50:05, 28/06/20 »
That's a little weird, I was having a walk up Chinkwell/Honeybag Tors Thurs morning and I realised it had been 40 years since I'd done my Ten Tors. I vowed to dig out my old route map and complete the 35 mile route sometime this year. 
I did both my 35 milers with the 4th Torbay Scouts in 1979 -80. I was underage for both of them seeing as my birthday feel 2 weeks after the event. I was 12 the first year!  I seem to remember we finished around 10am. The second one I was still under the 14 year old age limit but we were so much fitter we stormed our route. We had to camp at the last manned tor which happened to be Dinger Tor. This left us a nice stroll in along the military road for the last 5 miles. We got to the finish so early no [censored] was around!  Good memories  O0

Can't believe the kit we used back then  it's so much easier with the modern gear.
quod tibi non vis fieri, alteri ne feceris

Ray Davis

« Reply #9 on: 08:59:23, 15/07/20 »
Thanks for your responses.
I have already emailed the organisers (twice) but have not received any responses from them. I seem to recall the event was organised by the Junior Leaders in 1967 but now is run by a different section of the army. I have contacted them both but no replies.
I've had my first two half day practice walks and covered 5 miles and 7 miles. Legs and lungs were fine but I will have to speed up!
I would very much like to do the same 35 mile route I did in 1967 but if I can't find out the route in 1967 I'm preparing to make my own route up based on my limited memory.
Ray

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:15:00, 17/07/20 »
!966, your forgive for not remembering all of that route.  ;)   I tried 4 years ago to obtain the list of tors required for 1981, but had no success so reverted to memory.  There is still one section we walked on the South moor, on the morning of the second day that I just can't line up with any where I have walked recently, despite walking every inch of it in the past 4 years.  I have to assume that the buildings and railings, I recall so vividly from then, were flattered in the intervening years.

It's amazing how much comes back to you once you are on the ground.  I retraced my first RN training route across Bodmin moor and there where a number of very happy moments when I walked up to a ridge or view point, thinking I'm not sure if this is right, only to immediately remember the view from the top once I got there. 

Enjoy the experience it's even more fun at your own pace. O0
« Last Edit: 15:19:40, 17/07/20 by BuzyG »

Ray Davis

« Reply #11 on: 18:11:49, 17/07/20 »
To Buzzy G
You might already have these but if not they may help you identify your original route. Too late for me!

1998 Route - Start Okehampton Camp - East Mill - Shilstone - Watern - Rough - Great Mis (made camp) - Black - Staple - Lynch - Hare - Kitty - Okehampton Camp

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:35:10, 28/07/20 »
Just found a comment on the weather from the year I walked Ten tor.

"In 1981 gales, torrential rain, hail and thunder provided an excellent opportunity for critics of Ten Tors to challenge the safety of the event. This was especially so as Ten Tors took place only three weeks after an Easter Weekend during which an Air Training Corps team (not preparing for Ten Tors) had been stranded on the moor for two days following a sudden and dramatic blizzard, and two weeks after gales and heavy rain led to over 100 wet and exhausted youngsters being treated at a centre in Okehampton."  

I don't remember the rain much during the event. I do recall the search for the missing ATC some weeks before.  We had been out, on the same area of the moor, the day they got stuck and that day was horrid weather, we walked from Oakhamton Camp to the Fox and Hounds in horizontal sleet.  One of very few walks I remember detail from as a youngster, as I was actually having to navigate properly for once.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy