Author Topic: The Bradbury Effect  (Read 5851 times)

mananddog

• Veteran Member
The Bradbury Effect
« on: 10:54:18, 04/08/10 »
Dog and I were in Swaledale for a long weekend. We camped in Reeth Sat and Sun nights and there was a HUGE number of C2C walkers. I chatted with a few - mainly slightly older than me and many of them said they decided to do it after seeing the Julia Bradbury programme.

Up Gunnerside Gill I got talking to a woman and her teenaged daughter who were doing the C2C. She moaned that she had hoped this would be a life changing event for the two of them out in the wild crossing the country, talking to local farmers and the like, but all they were doing was following loads of other tourists. Where did she get the idea to do the walk ??? ?............ you've guessed it! O0

Anyway - the local businesses are booming as a result.

As for walking - we arrived late on Sat so had a short walk over to Castle bolton along the valley then back over to gunnerside and back along the south side of the valley. Sun we went over Reeth low moor, Great Pinseat, to dams/waterfall at head of gunnerside gill, pint in pub at gunnerside and back allong north bank of river to reeth early finish to meet friends.
Monday met some friends walked Arkengarthdale, Great punchard gill over moors to Tan hill - camped (friends did B+B). Good night at tan hill with fiddle folk duo providing entertainment along with Rantin Ritchie (barman) doing poetry reading.

Tues - back down Pennine way and repeated much of Sunday walk to Reeth (well my friends had not done it and I have no objection to such a lovely walk).

Photos? Forgot the [censored]*** camera!

angry climber

• Account Closed
Re: The Bradbury Effect
« Reply #1 on: 11:57:55, 04/08/10 »
The Bradbury effect works on me as well  :P
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:18:47, 04/08/10 »
I think she's done a great deal for the walking 'industry' - me and my wife took up walking last summer and part of the influence to do so was having watched Julia on her various jaunts. She has the looks, the personality, the love of the outdoors, a decent level of knowledge - and a great presenter.

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #3 on: 12:20:38, 04/08/10 »
I would  ;D
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

Willowisp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:21:05, 04/08/10 »
Is it wrong to say i struggled watching her, all puns asides i stranglely preffered Griff Rhys Jones's seris "Mountain"
Willowisp - Beasty known for leading folks astray
Aka
Dan from Surrey don't you know. what what...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46705169@N06/

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:38:21, 04/08/10 »
A couple of years ago I toyed with the idea of doing the C2C. However, having occasionally stayed at Patterdale YHA and witnessed the amount of people that stay over on their way doing the walk, I've made a mental note to shelve the idea for a few years (at least) until the current trend dies down a bit.

A small price to pay I suppose in exchange for the added benefits gained by local businesses and the boost to the economy of the area.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:13:05, 04/08/10 »
I've made a mental note to shelve the idea for a few years (at least) until the current trend dies down a bit.

A small price to pay I suppose in exchange for the added benefits gained by local businesses and the boost to the economy of the area.

Or go earlier in the season. Dog and I went in June 2007 and did not experience any crowds.
LDPs certainly do improve the local economy. A farmer I spoke to on Hadrians wall reckoned he would have gone out of business if is was not for the LDP and the B+B and camping he could offer as a result.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:22:16, 04/08/10 »
We stayed at Patterdale YH at the end of May this year and there were 2 days when it was quite busy with C2Cers but I think that they were using baggage transfer so this encourages them to bunch together. The rest of the time there were only about 4 a night.

As for JB I've said before that I find her style of presentation annoying, it is as if they are for children's TV.

Willowisp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:23:02, 04/08/10 »
@ Ridge ah ha im not the only one then :)
Willowisp - Beasty known for leading folks astray
Aka
Dan from Surrey don't you know. what what...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46705169@N06/

Uncle Grumpy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:36:41, 04/08/10 »
Discussion on, or about Ms Bradbury is never far from this forum. Personally, I find her tiresome. She's very good at presenting herself and lets her ego overshadow her actual ability.

As for JB I've said before that I find her style of presentation annoying, it is as if they are for children's TV.

Coast to Coasting has become hugely popular, but I get the impression that landowners and farmers wish it wasn't.

On my recent walk to Keswick I had a few problems following the CtoC between Keld and Shap due to outdated maps and re-routes.

Alistair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:51:49, 04/08/10 »
She would work well on top of me  ;D   O0
Thoughts come clearly while one walks.
               Thomas Mann

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 15:54:41, 04/08/10 »
Why would you want her stood on your head?  ;)

andybeck

« Reply #12 on: 16:01:34, 04/08/10 »

On my recent walk to Keswick I had a few problems following the CtoC between Keld and Shap due to outdated maps and re-routes.
The new revised Wainwright Coast to Coast book (revised by Chris Jesty who revised the Pictorial Guides) is coming out shortly so this should help. Here's a link:
http://http://www.franceslincoln.co.uk/en-gb/C/0/Book/1876/A_Coast_to_Coast_Walk_Second_Edition.html
Andy

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:09:29, 04/08/10 »
I would  ;D

So would I, but I'd be thinking of Kylie
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Boggy Marsh

« Reply #14 on: 18:58:17, 04/08/10 »
On a recent trip to the lakes I stopped at the Black Sail Hostel, the last part of that days walk was against the flow of the C2Cers. I couldn't believe just how many people were on the footpath.
Whilst I'm sure a lot of people have decided to do it to follow in Bradbury's footsteps, I think 1000's of people a year were already doing it following Wainwright.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what 'it' was.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy