Author Topic: It makes you wonder  (Read 2399 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
It makes you wonder
« on: 17:42:19, 14/06/16 »
Two walkers set off on the Yorkshire 3 peaks walk with no food, drink, map or compass found after getting lost on the route.

http://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2016/06/12/lost-sunburnt-yorkshire-three-peaks-walkers-had-no-water-or-food

They ended up in Ingleton. If it was an organised walk - who let them go like that?
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: It makes you wonder
« Reply #1 on: 18:06:56, 14/06/16 »
Does sound like it was organised, or rather should that be disorganised  :D

Certainly looks like the 'organisers' didn't even bother to do some very basic checks.
Where there's a will ...

Rather be walking

« Reply #2 on: 12:04:51, 16/06/16 »
My entry for the Darwin awards  ::)
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:15:18, 16/06/16 »
The 10 Peak Challenge I took part in a couple of week ago, for Macmillan Nurses, was very well organised. To the point where I initially felt quite aggrieved at having a 'kit check' prior to being allowed to commence: Especially given the obvious age of my interrogator who probably hadn't even been born when I did my first (Bronze, Silver & Gold) Duke of Edinburgh expeditions.
But, I knew it was all being done for the right reasons and I was glad that they were going to the trouble of checking. Also, the checking in at marshalling points was highly organised, to the point when Mrs I arrived at base camp, a while before we were due to return, and asked if they knew where we were - she was given the time and location of when we last 'clocked in' .... ' They're on Wandope ' she was told. As indeed we had been about 15 minutes beforehand.
Those two guys on Ingleborough were clearly unprepared, and I know there is a shared responsibility etc  but you do have to wonder at the 'organisation' that allowed them to proceed.

PS - we also spotted our candidate for the Darwin Awards - as we were descending off Robinson down to Buttermere - a rather well groomed chap walked enthusiastically past us. Not a word was spoken but you could see everyone's expression, thinking ' is he really appropriately dressed ? '

Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:03:03, 17/06/16 »
I wonder how many of us have strayed, quite innocently in this camp and appeared as if they should be awarded 'the Darwin Award'.

Mrs BWW and I had a weeks stay in Edinburgh a few years ago. One day we set off for a stroll down the Royal Mile, although Mrs BWW dressed fairly appropriately for a vigorous walk, I went out in Jacket, tie, slacks and street shoes with umbrella. Thinking I was to I was to be bought some new item of clothing, having neatly avoided a number of men's clothes shops, we discovered ourselves at Holyrood Palace and the Scottish Parliament. Mrs BWW still seemed quite frisky, so decided to extend our leisurely way and discovered ourselves on top of Arthur's seat.

I was definitely the best dressed out on that hill, that day. ;D
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:51:42, 17/06/16 »
Toff !   ;D
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:56:12, 17/06/16 »
Once met a guy on the top of Tarn Crag above Long Sleddale whose attire would not have been out of place driving a coach.  I did wonder if he had dropped some ramblers off, gone for a stroll and got carried away.
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:22:58, 17/06/16 »
Toff !   ;D

I can play the part, if need be  8)

I have an old pair of green wellies and a 3/4 length barbour that has seen better days, surprising how skulking in those parts of estates that suffer from the absence of PRoWs, I seem to be accepted. At a distance anyway. My ratting cap, which would complete the ensemble has bit the dust.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:10:48, 17/06/16 »
Once met a guy on the top of Tarn Crag above Long Sleddale whose attire would not have been out of place driving a coach.  I did wonder if he had dropped some ramblers off, gone for a stroll and got carried away.
Must be a 'Mountain Goat' !
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy