Author Topic: Mileage - how do you measure yours?  (Read 5558 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Mileage - how do you measure yours?
« on: 21:00:37, 02/10/18 »
Rather than continuing the well-meant thread hijack in the Mileage 2018 topic I thought I'd start this topic instead.

So, how do you measure yours?  And what constitutes a "walk worthy of measuring"?

Me - ViewRanger (once synced) and any walk is worthy.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Mileage - how do you measure yours?
« Reply #1 on: 21:10:22, 02/10/18 »
I will consider my wrist as slapped  :(   
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:13:21, 02/10/18 »
I use walking Highlands GPS to measure my walks.

Any thing over 1 mile gets logged on my Spread sheet.  Though I tend to be at least as interested in accents Vs distance. 100m per mile is the slightly odd target I aim for on a good training walk.  Not often that easy to achieve on gently rolling Dartmoor.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:18:22, 02/10/18 »
I will consider my wrist as slapped  :(

Awwww, noooo.  Please don't! 

But be warned, put a book down the seat of your trousers next time  :knuppel2:     :D      ;)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:19:26, 02/10/18 »
I use my Garmin GPS to measure the miles on each of my 'countryside' walks.  I don't count walks into town (Bakewell) to do shopping, apart from if I go 'the long way round'.  If I do that, I can walk anything up to 7 miles (on tracks/trails/footpaths) before I even get to the supermarket, so I feel those are worthy of adding to my yearly total.

I recently walked around Berwick for a few hours, including the whole of the wall that surrounds the town.
I also walked by the River Tweed for a while, visited the castle and walked all the way down the pier.
I used my GPS on that day simply out of curiosity, although I did end up adding the mileage to my running total.
I was wearing my walking shoes, after all! :D

Generally though, if I'm mooching around a town sightseeing/browsing etc, I don't record those miles.

***Happiness is only a smile away***

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:28:36, 02/10/18 »
I track my country walks on Viewranger but although I'm interested to see how far I've walked I don't keep a running total of the mileage. I might occasionally track an urban walk out of interest to see how long it was.  If I was recording mileage for a challenge I'd regard any walk as worthy.

MarkT

« Reply #6 on: 22:45:02, 02/10/18 »
If I am walking to work, pub, shops or to a friends, in other words trying to get somewhere  for a reason, i don't count it.

If I go for a walk because I want to walk, where ever it may lead to then I class it as a walk.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:58:06, 03/10/18 »
Moved from Mileage 2018 thread, should be first post in this thread.

Given that there can be significant errors in measuring mileage walked depending on the method used to record it, I was wondering how people did it. For myself, I record the walk with gps but this always gives me an over estimate so I import the trace into GoogleEarth and use the Show Elevation function to give me height gain and mileage covered. I take the height gain with a fairly large pinch of salt but the mileage seems fairly accurate. I also only record “proper” trips rather just any old walking. How do others do it?

Forgive me Mel  :-[

PS If “Any walk is worthy” Mel, does that mean any walk is a long distance if you record it in the LDW section  ;)
« Last Edit: 01:04:52, 03/10/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:45:44, 03/10/18 »

Along with actual rambles/I include walks where I would more usually have gone by car/bus. Knowing I'm adding to my mileage encourages me to walk.

I measure them on Bing maps distance calculator when I get home using the OS mapping which allows measuring anywhere across trackless wastes (lol) or down the back alleys into town.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:07:30, 03/10/18 »
The same as Jac.
I used to use Bikehike to measure but recently they have had map problems.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:16:12, 03/10/18 »

For my normal local walks with the dog. I know the distance from maps, and I also look at my activity tracker (Polar A300) at the end of the month; any sustained periods of activity show up well on the Polar Flow app and I allow 2.5-3 MPH depending upon terrain. For longer hill walks, I just estimate from the map, or use Bing Maps 'measure distance' facility (good).

I record any 'boots on' walk, whether it be a couple of miles down to the beach with the dog or serious hill walking in the Highlands. Ultimately, it is a personal thing; it is not a competition as far as I am concerned. :) 
(copied from the other thread)
« Last Edit: 15:43:26, 03/10/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:25:41, 03/10/18 »
Ultimately, it is a personal thin; it is not a competition as far as I am concerned.

That is the most important thing. It is just a competition/motivation for myself so it doesn't matter what walks I count and how I measure it so long as I do the same method as I did last year.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:24:13, 03/10/18 »
Simple, from the tip of my thumb to the first joint is about a mile on a 1 : 50,000 OS map. I just count the number of thumbs along my route. Never record anything why would I? I know where I've been.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:38:59, 03/10/18 »
I use a mixture of Owen's method and a length of cotton thread traced on a map.   Local walks I know, some I estimate by time and I don't count anything under 1/2 mile.  I do keep a bit of a running total through the year, ( still like to get the 1000 miles in, even though I'm not officially doing the challenge)  but I'm not obsessive about it.  I'm sure it's an underestimate, after all, if you are doing it because you like walking and it's how you deep fit, you aren't going to cheat, you'd be the only loser.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:36:44, 03/10/18 »

That is the most important thing. It is just a competition/motivation for myself so it doesn't matter what walks I count and how I measure it so long as I do the same method as I did last year.
But surely people publishing their mileage on the 1000 mile challenge thread you should be trying to measure it accurately? If you just keep track of your mileage for your own information then I agree, so long as you are consistent year on year, it doesn’t matter but then why publish it? As you say, it is not a competition.
« Last Edit: 10:40:27, 03/10/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy