Author Topic: Advice on winter hiking gear  (Read 4049 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Advice on winter hiking gear
« Reply #15 on: 09:53:09, 23/10/19 »
Thanks 'forgotmyoldpassword,' your way of looking at the possibility of me getting a Rab Microlight jacket has initiated to do some more thinking about it.  As a 'wander off to the pub' bit of clothing, or as a 'killing time by my tent bit' of clothing it will do the job but not necessarily is ideal for actually walking in? Is this the basic nuts and bolts of your thinking?

If it is, that makes sense to me. At present, I have two synthetic warm jackets purchased from Alpkit, although they are two different colours they nearly look the same but in use however they are not the same. With my windproof jacket over the top, my black one, when I'm wearing it as I walk it works very well, it keeps me comfortably warm and condensation free, unless I'm really puffing and panting uphill of course. But if I'm wearing my blue jacket under my windproof jacket then condensation is really a problem (which is why I no longer wear it) so I take from your write-up that with a Rab Microlight on, I could when walking be presented by my blue jacket's problem, namely excessive condensation?

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:26:22, 23/10/19 »
Thanks 'forgotmyoldpassword,' your way of looking at the possibility of me getting a Rab Microlight jacket has initiated to do some more thinking about it.  As a 'wander off to the pub' bit of clothing, or as a 'killing time by my tent bit' of clothing it will do the job but not necessarily is ideal for actually walking in? Is this the basic nuts and bolts of your thinking?

If it is, that makes sense to me. At present, I have two synthetic warm jackets purchased from Alpkit, although they are two different colours they nearly look the same but in use however they are not the same. With my windproof jacket over the top, my black one, when I'm wearing it as I walk it works very well, it keeps me comfortably warm and condensation free, unless I'm really puffing and panting uphill of course. But if I'm wearing my blue jacket under my windproof jacket then condensation is really a problem (which is why I no longer wear it) so I take from your write-up that with a Rab Microlight on, I could when walking be presented by my blue jacket's problem, namely excessive condensation?

Basically, yes.  The end of the day everyone is different and know their needs best, but personally I've found down jackets for UK conditions aren't good active layers unless you're doing a lot of Scottish winter walking sub 0.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:40:35, 23/10/19 »
Take a torch!!!!!

Gaiters are not just for weirdos they are great for keeping snow out of your boots. As anyone who goes out in proper snow (or bogs) knows

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:32:39, 23/10/19 »
Take a torch!!!!!

Gaiters are not just for weirdos they are great for keeping snow out of your boots. As anyone who goes out in proper snow (or bogs) knows

+1 for gaiters - absolutely essential in the snow.

As for mid layers, pretty much any old fleece will do, dont waste your money paying top dollar for some fancy brand (money much better spent on a quality gore tex jacket).
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:03:33, 23/10/19 »
+2 for gaiters   -   great for coping with mud, puddles and wet vegetation

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:13:16, 23/10/19 »
+3 for gaiters. For all the above reasons.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:28:23, 23/10/19 »
Jackets such as the Rab microlight are belay jackets i.e. something you pull on very quickly once you've stopped climbing and started belaying. The idea is to stop you getting chilled. You get quite pumped and sweaty while you're leading an ice climb but then you have to sit and belay your mate up. While you're doing this you're not moving so you cool down rapidly. Having a warm jacket handy that you can put on quickly helps you to prevent this. Walkers don't generally get into belaying but you can use the same idea for any stop. The jacket doesn't have to go under your cagoule, just put it on over whatever you've got on, synthetics are better for this.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 08:00:51, 24/10/19 »
Check out charity shops- I recently bought a warm synthetic gilet for the princely sum of £2 !

wobblyknees

« Reply #23 on: 10:55:31, 24/10/19 »
I also bought a Berghaus goose down gilet for £5 in a charity shop. It looked brand new. Cheapest internet price I found when I got home was £89.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:19:11, 24/10/19 »
Thanks for all of the information and suggestions, really good! I've now persuaded my son and wife not to buy me a Rab Microlight and to put their decision making on hold until I decide what to do. I do appreciate the idea of cheap fleeces, etc, and will now look and view various options which supports the clothing choices I have already made. Thanks again.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 16:57:44, 24/10/19 »
I also bought a Berghaus goose down gilet for £5 in a charity shop. It looked brand new. Cheapest internet price I found when I got home was £89.

Good catch!

Maggot

« Reply #26 on: 17:58:04, 24/10/19 »
Everyone should buy their general outdoor kit in charity shops.  They are full of stuff that has been donated by people who went for a walk, spent £00s on clothing and kit, then gave it up because the second time they went out it was rainy and they got lost!

Absolute bargains to be had out there!

Just avoid gaiters, even cheap ones from a charity shop  O0

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:46:55, 24/10/19 »

Can only think you must have bought some rubbish gaiters or not known how and when to use them.
They are so useful, as can be seen from the support they get in this single thread.
Your loss, I suppose.
Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 19:30:04, 24/10/19 »
I couldn't go hiking without gaiters, they are central to me for keeping dry. My rain skirt depends on them and my long waterproof coat depends on them.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:35:55, 24/10/19 »

I take it that you dont go hillwalking in the snow then maggot. ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy