Author Topic: Have you adapted much of your gear to suit your needs and wants?  (Read 5184 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I was trying to think about what I have done over the years?

My most important adaptation was to put a shoe length edge of running shoe insert under my Sorbothane inserts to stop so much edge wear on the soles of my hiking boots and to correct my gait to neutral. That's worked really well, my boots now wear evenly and I can walk much further in comfort.

I also sewed (correction, my wife's friend sewed) a piece of 2" soft cloth around the inner tops of my Rab gaiters, I tend to wear my gaiters under my walking trousers and without the soft cloth, my skin became sore.

The same lady also fitted weighted hems around my Vaude poncho, my rain skirt and around the hem of my waterproof long coat, to stop the wind blowing the items out of place.

I also got a sailmaker to fit four 2" x 4" see-through patches  2" around and above the bottom hem of my outer tent cover. After being 'got at' but 5 large domesticated pigs in 2015 I decided I'd like to not only hear what is going on outside my tent I like to see as well as an aid to decision making. I can't see clearly what's outside but by just opening my eyes I can at least judge by the physical outline if its the noise is coming from two legs or four and to make an instant judgement as to how many are out there.

It wasn't an adaptation as such but I did change from using ordinary grip walking poles to Pacerpoles, for me the Pacerpole grips are far better and more comfortable to us.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
I am currently (literally) just modifying my small tent and camping chair to have carbon fibre poles and legs.
Just came online to order some adhesive.

I think they tent may come in for several modifications to make it easier to erect and more liveable.
I think I can temporarily  (with some Velcro) attache the inner and outer together to make setting up and packing up easier and quicker.
I also want to try out my idea of using a cheap sleeping roll as a footprint.
May just weigh them and leave in bath, while I go out for a coffee, to see if they absorb much moisture.

The aim of all this is to get my backpack mass down from the current 8.8kg to 7kg before food.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
A very interesting exercise, I'm always trying to do this.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
A very interesting exercise, I'm always trying to do this.
it was you mentioning that you had your kit down to 8 kg that made me want to do better.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Beyond changing boot insoles and strapping up a recalcitrant knee - no.
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
In the dim and distant past when gear wasn't so well designed, yes. These days not so much, the exception being getting trousers shortened. Why do manufacturers think everyone is 6ft 20ins tall?

I've added guying out points to tents changed a few peg attachments. Also added pole carrying loops to a couple of rucksacks.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I've also made a couple of slip-on/slip-off Goretex elasticated tubes that I fit around my wrists, under the sleeves of my waterproof jacket to keep my hands dry when walking in the rain. They are designed to overlap my fingers by about 1" and they work very well.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
In the dim and distant past when gear wasn't so well designed, yes. These days not so much, the exception being getting trousers shortened. Why do manufacturers think everyone is 6ft 20ins tall?

I've added guying out points to tents changed a few peg attachments. Also added pole carrying loops to a couple of rucksacks.

Good question!
Bottom of my waterproof overtrousers always end up in tatters.

I've done plenty of repairs, but the only design mod that springs to mind is the addition of an ice axe loop to a cheapo day sack. I may sew a chin strap on to my new sun hat, though.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
I may sew a chin strap on to my new sun hat, though.
Should have gone with the Tilley.  Mine has 2 straps and a bayonet fitting.  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
or 5' 8" for that matter.
I see trousers with 36" legs, in Cornwall. There has never been Celt that needs that.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
I also want to try out my idea of using a cheap sleeping roll as a footprint.
May just weigh them and leave in bath, while I go out for a coffee, to see if they absorb much moisture.
Right, dumped my two cheap mats in the bath for a good 3 hours.
Reweighed them, dried them with towel, 10 minutes on the washing line and the mass has not changed.
So it seems that they do not absorb moisture.
Masses are 220g and 150g for the 8mm and 6mm respectively.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Good question!
Bottom of my waterproof overtrousers always end up in tatters.

I've done plenty of repairs, but the only design mod that springs to mind is the addition of an ice axe loop to a cheapo day sack. I may sew a chin strap on to my new sun hat, though.

If I carry my old Karrimoor S65 sack, then I add an leather bike toe strap to hold my ice axe the way I like it.

Back when I was at junior school I sewed a leather patch into the shoulder an old jumper, so that I could use it for traditional abseiling. ie no sling, just using your body as a brake..  Not the safest of after school activities, now I look back on it, but a lot of fun at the time and I'm still here.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
If I carry my old Karrimoor S65 sack, then I add an leather bike toe strap to hold my ice axe the way I like it.

Back when I was at junior school I sewed a leather patch into the shoulder an old jumper, so that I could use it for traditional abseiling. ie no sling, just using your body as a brake..  Not the safest of after school activities, now I look back on it, but a lot of fun at the time and I'm still here.
I have done a few classic abseils in my time too.  Still managed to have children.   O0
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Those were the days, no fancy gear, just a rope and a rock face  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Those were the days, no fancy gear, just a rope and a rock face  O0
And balls of steel  ;D
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy