Author Topic: Mendip Way  (Read 816 times)

SouthWestWalker

Mendip Way
« on: 22:52:43, 10/09/17 »
Hi all

After a great weekend at the South West Outdoors Festival, myself and my other half are interested in walking the Mendip Way. I can't find much information at all online so was wondering if anyone had done this walk and had any tips? Places to stay etc?

Thanks

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
Re: Mendip Way
« Reply #1 on: 10:19:51, 13/09/17 »
Welcome to the forum.
You could try posting this in the South west regional section too as more people might see it.

I have walked most of the West Mendip Way bit of this walk as day walks. Accommodation wise there is a YHA at Cheddar a little way off the route, a camp site (Mendip Heights) near the path by Priddy. The Queen Vic in Priddy is worth a visit.

There is also a Premier Inn on the A38 near where the route crosses it at Kings Wood/Shute Shelve and a campsite.

The route also passes by the Webbington Hotel at Loxton.

Depends what sort of accommodation you are looking for.

As to the route itself, signposting was a bit hit and miss so you'll definitely need to refer to your map or GPS. I enjoyed the bits I walked, I would add in the climb to the top of Dolebury Warren and then divert up to Beacon Batch because I can't resist high points! Also I have a history of getting misplaced in Rowberrow Warren!!

The caves at Wookey Hole and Cheddar are worth a visit although both have their tacky side. Also take time to visit Wells Cathedral.

I can't comment on the route to the East of Wells as I've not got round to walking that bit yet.
Enjoy every sandwich

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy