Author Topic: Mountain Rescue Mountain Advice  (Read 10454 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Mountain Rescue Mountain Advice
« Reply #15 on: 12:42:39, 04/10/12 »
Finding walking gear of any colour is difficult for me because I'm a UK size 6. Most shops don't even have size 8 so I have to trawl on the internet to find clothes that fit and even that is problematic. The only colours I've ever been able to buy is black. I carry an orange and grey rucksack and carry an orange survival bag. I agree with Ridge Walker - you can't get better advice than from AW - watch where you're putting your feet!
Hate will never win

guess who

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 14:10:54, 04/10/12 »
Finding walking gear of any colour is difficult for me because I'm a UK size 6. Most shops don't even have size 8 so I have to trawl on the internet to find clothes that fit and even that is problematic. The only colours I've ever been able to buy is black. I carry an orange and grey rucksack and carry an orange survival bag. I agree with Ridge Walker - you can't get better advice than from AW - watch where you're putting your feet!

You need to go on my diet, trust me you wont be a size 6 for long ;) ;D ;D ;D

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:37:49, 04/10/12 »
Guess that's the seafood diet ... see food and eat it  ;D
Where there's a will ...

robb

« Reply #18 on: 14:42:24, 04/10/12 »
You'd have thought in this day and age MRT teams would be equipped with the same basic amenities as SAR currently have, including InfaRed cameras to spot heat-sources out amongst the mountains. Personally i've taken red bivvy bags and rudimentary flares, the kind shipping uses. Luckily i've never had the need to deploy either.

guess who

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:03:44, 04/10/12 »
Guess that's the seafood diet ... see food and eat it  ;D

Nail, hit, hammer  ;)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:04:27, 04/10/12 »
 ;D ;D ;D O0
Where there's a will ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 16:58:12, 04/10/12 »
I stuff my face with a cheese pasty, crisps (2 packets), banana, chocolate and scone when I stop for something to eat on a hike. It's really funny because people stare in amazement wondering how I eat so much and still be on the 'small' side! ;D
Hate will never win

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 17:36:45, 04/10/12 »
Do you really go out thinking about being rescued ?  If you do then I would suggest you're in the wrong frame of mind before you even start.  And do you propose that folks change from their bright yellow to a nice dark colour for walking in snow ?

What a ridiculous thing to say.
So you are arguing that wearing clothing in colours that stand out from the surrounding is wrong, and anyone that does is setting out thinking about being rescued. (Doh!)
I suggest to you that it is you that is in the wrong frame of mind, before and after you start.

To add, see under clothing. That will do for me, now argue against that.
http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/mountain-advice
« Last Edit: 19:01:55, 04/10/12 by Slogger »

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:09:01, 04/10/12 »
I don't agree that clothing needs to be colourful. I have worn blacks and greys for ages now. Ever since on my Winter Mountain Leader course I was advised to stick to basic colours so my equipment looked more professional and matched.
If I got into trouble I would use my red survival bivi bag to attract attention.   

I've never considered a colour co-ordinated guide to be more professional than one that didn't accessorize.  ;)

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 20:01:17, 04/10/12 »
Not ridiculous at all.  How many people end up needing rescuing ?  A massively small minority and to suggest everyone else should go prepared as if they would be is just non-sensical, no matter who says so.  Like I said, if you think you're going to need rescuing then you should stay at home.

Rob.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:41:38, 04/10/12 »
Not long ago, I bought a new Gortex waterproof. It is a very bright red. I bought it because I liked the colour!

angry climber

• Account Closed
« Reply #26 on: 23:11:24, 04/10/12 »

I've never considered a colour co-ordinated guide to be more professional than one that didn't accessorize.  ;)

Why not. If you hire any person to do a job for you and he turns up looking like last weeks washing then you are going to think that his work is like his attire, sloppy. If you present yourself well then you talk confidently and well spoken it makes you seem more professional. You might be [censored] at guiding but you look the part. You have to remember first impressions last. Most people will have never met you until you introduce yourself. If you look smart and confident then you settle the client as well. If you look sloppy and ill prepared you will worry the client. Its still basic Customer service whether you are a guide or a receptionist at a company desk. You are the first face of the business.   
Never judge someone by the opinion of others find out for yourself.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 10:05:21, 05/10/12 »
AC's right, of course, if somebody is providing a professional service, specially one that might carry some risk, then that person needs to look the part as a starter - and the state of the advisor's kit would be an important first impression. And it's a hard fact that more subdued colours make an individual appear to be a more serious operator than somebody dressed in bright clothing, specially if the clothes clash with each other.

But the argument here seems to be whether or not to wear "colourful" clothing and whether or not the Mountain Rescue peeps advice is correct.

In the same paragraph, the rescuers tell us to wear appropriate footwear with a good tread and support for the ankles. And it seems that whilst I do personally follow this by personal choice, there are many walkers nowadays who wear trail shoes - including people whom many consider to be experts on gear - such as Chris Townsend, for instance. These shoes aren't even waterproof and the wearers seem to just accept that they'll get wet feet and that they might have to tread more thoughtfuly but that they'll use less energy and move faster due to the fact that they're carrying less weight.

So, it's a matter of personal choice and experienced hillwalkers can make their own judgement as to what's safe and what isn't. Whilst others should stick to what they're told to do.

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 11:37:59, 05/10/12 »
Being a bit of a Devil here  ::)  but Rescue teams wear RED does that make them less professional ??? ;)

AndrewLeary

« Reply #29 on: 12:28:42, 05/10/12 »
I have a bright red jacket for walking, just bought to replace a bright purple one. I evn thought in the shop that if I was in situation where I needed help, then a bright colour would help, and that the greens, greys, and black's wouldn't.

I also wear the walking shoes, as for some reason I have a dodgy ankle bone that makes walking in boots very painfull. I just make sure that I walk carefully using common sense. And yes, wet feet are part of the deal, but it is a small thing to cope with.

The rules we (me and senior management) follow are -
Never to start a walk we cannot finish.
If things get bad weather wise, we can easily turn back - the mountains ain't gonna run away.
Proper shoes, clothing, food, basic first aid kit, map, compass, sapmap, and drinks are always taken.

Hopefully we will never need the MRT, but you never know  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy