Author Topic: Petition re Langdale  (Read 1041 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Re: Petition re Langdale
« Reply #1 on: 22:57:21, 28/02/18 »
When I first read a bit of the link I assumed off road vehicles must be illegally driving on land somewhere.

But it seems this petition is about trying to stop off roaders using the green lane they are actually entitled to use? I have been there a number of times walking on that green road when off roaders have been using it, I personally have no problem with them using it, I've not witnessed any bad behaviour?

This is a tricky one, is trying to stop peoples rightful access something we should be doing, even if its in an off road vehicle?
Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #2 on: 08:12:08, 01/03/18 »
I don't have a problem with 4x4s using Green Lanes, providing they do so responsibly, which is more than can be said for the guys in the YouTube video linked on this Save the Lake District Green Lanes website:

https://www.savethelakedistrict.com/

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:26:30, 01/03/18 »
I'm torn here.

I have real problems with the idea of limiting access, we don't campaign to have eroded footpaths closed we donate to fix the fells.
While I don't often disagree with you LL I'm not sure that the guys on the video are being irresponsible. Yes they almost get stuck but they are doing it to try their equipment and nerve against the terrain in the same way that climbers do even when there is a perfectly good path to the top.

I can see though that significant numbers of vehicles will make the route impassable, though perhaps that is the solution.

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #4 on: 09:31:59, 01/03/18 »
While I don't often disagree with you LL I'm not sure that the guys on the video are being irresponsible. Yes they almost get stuck but they are doing it to try their equipment and nerve against the terrain in the same way that climbers do even when there is a perfectly good path to the top.

Before I posted that link, I showed it to a couple of the guys I work with, who are keen 4x4 drivers.   They also thought the guys in the videos were acting irresponsibly.   They told me that if they had to resolve to using winches on such an impassable section, like the guys in the video did, then they would have gone elsewhere.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:55:00, 01/03/18 »
Just had a look at the info on the link you posted LL. It looks like it is the sheer numbers of off roaders that are causing problems for farmers there, I would still feel uneasy about signing this petition though. Like Ridge I feel torn.
Hate will never win

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:11:59, 01/03/18 »
I think this is a legal problem that needs addressing. In many cases the laws are centuries old and never envisaged motorised transport. I’m not saying there should be a blanket ban but I think it would be a good idea for certain green lanes. I don’t actually know this one so  :-X

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #7 on: 13:51:07, 01/03/18 »
I haven't signed the petition either, and probably won't.

Perhaps the Lake District National Park should look at restricting the number of vehicles who can use this particular green lane, just like they do with Gatescarth Pass.   

With Gatesgarth, vehicles are only allowed to use it one day per month, and then only with a valid permit.   The pass is completely closed to 4x4s from December through to March to protect the surface.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:49:40, 01/03/18 »
I didn't realise Gatesgarth could be used as a green lane  :o That sounds like a reasonable idea LL, having permits to restrict the numbers.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy