Author Topic: Sleeping bags loft  (Read 916 times)

Ronin83

Sleeping bags loft
« on: 10:44:30, 07/10/20 »
When buying a sleeping bag, especially online, they always come in their sack. We are told to store our bags open to avoid long term compression and loss of lift, but how do we know how long that bag has been sitting in that shop for, all compressed up in its sack? Could be years!
Is this something you've ever been concerned with?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleeping bags loft
« Reply #1 on: 15:13:38, 07/10/20 »
When I bought my down sleeping quilt a few years ago it came in its own 'sausage' bag, it looked very neat. I took my quilt out, it puffed up very quickly and I was never able to get it back in that bag ever again. I never gave it a thought at the time but you are right about the manufacturer's advice about storage. maybe they consider its OK for them to do it once, but from then on we are advised not to.

I bought a waterproof bag with straps to get it smaller but its never been as small that that first day of purchase.

windyrigg

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:36:22, 07/10/20 »
Certainly with down bags it's smart to avoid storing the bag long term in its stuff sack, I use an old pillowcase.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:55:12, 07/10/20 »
I recently bought a down sleeping bag from Alpkit, and it arrived in a loose cotton storage bag with the stuff sack sort of hooked over the zip. At first I couldn't find the stuff sack as it's the same colour as the bag. Presumably they think it's better if it's not in the stuff sack for too long.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:50:59, 07/10/20 »
Yes, NEVER store in the stuff sack. When I have set up my tent or have arrived home, the first thing I always do is get my sleeping bag out asap. At home, I store it loosely at the bottom of my wardrobe without any stuff sack. The more space you give it, the better. I'm amazed how well it still retains its loft.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Ronin83

« Reply #5 on: 18:42:23, 07/10/20 »
Yes, NEVER store in the stuff sack. When I have set up my tent or have arrived home, the first thing I always do is get my sleeping bag out asap. At home, I store it loosely at the bottom of my wardrobe without any stuff sack. The more space you give it, the better. I'm amazed how well it still retains its loft.

Yeh I think we're all aware that you shouldn't, but my point is that they often come that way and have, potentially been stored in a shop or warehouse that way for god knows how long

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:35:10, 07/10/20 »

Yeh I think we're all aware that you shouldn't, but my point is that they often come that way and have, potentially been stored in a shop or warehouse that way for god knows how long

Yes who knows. But usually in shops they hang them, uncompressed (at least the expensive down ones). And when they send them I guess they send them in their storage bag in a small box, but not fully compressed. Mine came straight from the factory and as far as I can remember it was packed rather compact but not fully compressed. Loft turned out to be awesome so I was very happy.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

Johnny Thunder

« Reply #7 on: 11:43:52, 08/10/20 »
I recently purchased a down quilt and it arrived in a large box which contained the quilt in the lofting bag.
It probably would have been cheaper to post in a stuff sack sized parcel.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:24:58, 09/10/20 »
You can't know other than asking them. I'd have thought most shops try not to keep thousands on pounds of old stock if they can. Good shops should not be storing them like that but big box stores probably will - but then they tend to have high turnover of goods.

TBH whilst it's not ideal to store down like that, it's not a death knell to a sleeping bag. They tend to bounce back. It's just over the lifetime of the bag, it will make a difference.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:47:06, 09/10/20 »
I was lucky about 10 years ago. An aunt died and her family let me have a really large trunk which is in my garage full of my hiking gear, tents and so on and my sleeping quilt lying on the top of it all. I close the lid and that's it until the next time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy