Author Topic: Planning for long distance walk 2019  (Read 3190 times)

Pete_W

Planning for long distance walk 2019
« on: 12:25:09, 24/10/18 »
Hey All

I did my first (solo) long distance walk in summer 2018, walking the hadrians wall route from Newcastle to Bowness over 6 days. Really pretty country walk where I thoroughly enjoyed the scenery, and staying in a B&B / Camping Barn / Pub each night was brilliant! The boss has grudgingly given me permission to go for another week long walk in 2019 so Im now trying to choose a walk to plan for. I was wondering if, given my wish list below, anyone had any suggestions for just where I might go?

Id Like to stay in the UK Mainland (train there and back if poss)

Hadrians Wall was brilliant and thoroughly recommended, but I feel like Id like my next walk to be a bit more hilly Id also like to get the walk done in 6 days or less, Id plan on averaging 15-20 miles per day as dictated by accommodation choices. Longer days are fine, especially when finishing in a pub!

I need to find a route where I can stay in a B&B / camping barn etc each night. I dont own a tent :(

Id like to use a route that has some sort of baggage haul service as I am the worlds laziest man and dont want to carry my spare clothes. I carry a compass/map/gps so if the route isn't super well signposted I should be ok. I managed Hadrians Wall without getting lost, but I think getting lost on that route may have been impossible?

I was thinking about one of the routes that start / finish in Fort William, looking at the West Highland Way it seems to skip a lot of the beautiful hilltops in favour of sticking to valleys so I could do that route with a couple of hill detours. Walks on Skye / Arran also look amazing. If I went to Arran I could probably get that done in 3 days which should mean that my wife could accompany me and do touristy stuff while Im walking (touristy stuff AND baggage haulage!). Another of the routes that looks really interesting are any of the Snowdonia Way variants, I havent checked out the baggage haulage options but its full of the sort of landscapes that we dont have so much of here in the Midlands.

Only places that I would not want to go are the Brecon Beacons, Malverns, Shropshire Hills and Peak District as I go to these places a lot for day walks and really enjoy them. Apart from Peak district, Kinver Scout was ace but the walk across High Peak along the pennine way into Longdendale I really did not enjoy. Was a very very hot day though.

So thats it really, Im leaning towards WHW just because thats what everyone else does and I will not be short of hills to add in as desired. I just think that with the whole of the UK out there and little walking experience of my own Im probably missing a few good options to consider!

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Planning for long distance walk 2019
« Reply #1 on: 16:22:15, 24/10/18 »

You could also consider the Cumbria Way, from Ulverston to Carlisle across the Lake District, or the Dales High Way, which takes you over a hill or two rather than up the valleys.  Both have stations at the start and finish and I really enjoyed both of them.
A lot of people love the West Highland Way, but it is very busy and you have to book up accommodation early.  I have to say it is not my favourite, but that is probably heresy!

dav

« Reply #2 on: 16:37:56, 24/10/18 »
Dales Way, 84 miles, or the Dales High Way if you want hills. Both easily walked in a week.

astaman

« Reply #3 on: 16:40:01, 24/10/18 »
There is an alternative West Highland Way that does not avoid the hills in the way that the WHW does. It is one of Ronald Turnbull's contrivances and, although I have not done it, it does look very good on paper - walking and reading of course are not the same thing. He wrote a good book which is a guide and a sort of report on his walk which I do recommend. The ref. is:

Ronald Turnbull, NOT the West Highland Way (Cicerone Press , 2010)

It is available on Amazon as print or as a Kindle e-book. You have plenty of time to order it from your local library to see if you fancy it and then buy it if you choose to walk it.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:06:21, 24/10/18 »
Hey All

Id like to use a route that has some sort of baggage haul service as I am the worlds laziest man and dont want to carry my spare clothes. 

I'm sure others can help you with the route. Why do you need spare clothes. You just need what you are standing up in, a clean pair of keks, spare socks, waterproofs, and a couple of layers. I walk seven days wearing the same clothes, and carry my own rucksack. I get a shower every night where I am staying.

ilona

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:35:32, 24/10/18 »

I'm sure others can help you with the route. Why do you need spare clothes. You just need what you are standing up in, a clean pair of keks, spare socks, waterproofs, and a couple of layers. I walk seven days wearing the same clothes, and carry my own rucksack. I get a shower every night where I am staying.

ilona
Yep 2 pairs of keks will last 8 days: forwards, backwards, inside-out forwards,  inside-out backwards.  Swap and repeat.  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 06:35:41, 25/10/18 »
You could also do the first half of the coast to coast from St Bees to Kirkby Steven
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 06:58:47, 25/10/18 »
If you want to walk a complete Long distance walk, then maybe the South Downs Way. Good public transport at both ends and a very enjoyable walk.

As people have said, reduce the clothing and you don’t have to worry about baggage companies and the cost ( they are much dearer than the West Highland Way). I just take 1 extra days clothing and wash each night if you feel you need to.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Pete_W

« Reply #8 on: 13:45:44, 25/10/18 »
Thanks for all of the suggestions folks, Cumbria Way / Dales Way / St Bees to Kirkby Steven all sounds really interesting and not somewhere that I have walked before. Brilliant!

Using a baggage service along Hadrians Wall really helped make the trip for me. Ill deffo be doing it again if I get the chance, I just find it rather lovely to walk with only a day bag. After all, all I need to carry is:

Spare battery, torch, waterproof shell (upper and lower), gaiters, food, things for finding my way, water, spare socks, cash, deodorant, first aid stuff, hat, sun cream, bothy bag, phone, wipes, mid layer, flamethrower for midges... I like to travel light!

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 15:13:13, 25/10/18 »
Deodorant, I thought you were going for a walk? :D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:16:47, 25/10/18 »
And quantum pants - don't forget  them
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=37416.0
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:26:29, 25/10/18 »
Or a variation on a theme, St Bees to Keld on the C2C, then turn south on the Pennine Way to Edale. Train station at both end.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 14:18:58, 27/10/18 »

South West Coast Path (SWCP)? 
Admittedly no mountains but certainly not flat.
Plenty of train connections and B&Bs and several companies offer baggage transfer.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

dan76

« Reply #13 on: 13:13:27, 28/10/18 »
Choose the Dales Way.

Your time frame is ideal and the views and people you meet on the route are great.
I lived in a forest for a few months
Now i'm a fairweather camper +glamper..

Owner@
https://campingpodswales.com [nofollow]
https://campingpodsyorkshire.com [nofollow]

Doddy

« Reply #14 on: 12:04:00, 31/10/18 »
In the last year or so I have done the Skye Trail, the Arran Way and the Hebridean Way. I think the Arran Way would fit you requirements. I did it using my Citroen Berlingo micro-camper for the nights, there is  good bus service on the island which I used to go to and from my camper. I did the Skye Trail in a similar manner; there I used the hostel/campsite at Flodigarry as base for three nights and wild camped with the camper elsewhere. Skye is fantastic.The trail south from Sligachan can be difficult if the many streams are in spate There is a great Bothy location at Camasunary Bay.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy