Author Topic: photobucket v flickr  (Read 5906 times)

keithie

Re: photobucket v flickr
« Reply #15 on: 12:09:42, 10/07/16 »
I'm still trying to figure out what to do re trip reports & pics. Over the last two months I've taken about 300 pics on walks and been to more than a dozen counties. Flickr does seem to be the most popular but quite a few folk use links to blogs. I'm certainly not gonna pay some company to let me publish a few pics and a few words for each trip...are there any blogspots / wordpress etc options that allow a few pics and words for each trip without charging ...or is flickr simply easier?

Forkbeard

« Reply #16 on: 12:22:55, 10/07/16 »
Hi Keithie, if you have a Google account you can create a free blog (via blogger.com) which supports picture sharing via links on flickr (use the bb code from share options).

keithie

« Reply #17 on: 12:26:42, 10/07/16 »
thanks Forkbeard ...didnt know that ...I shall investigate

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:12:09, 10/07/16 »
Photobucket gives you 2GB of free storage, which is more than enough for most people's needs.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:25:49, 10/07/16 »
Photobucket gives you 2GB of free storage, which is more than enough for most people's needs.

I thought so too until recently. I take lots of photos and my Photobucket account has 2,021 photos which takes up 65% of my storage. (Using 11.7 GB of 18.0 GB (65.05%), I guess they changed the free amount from when I joined. I created a new account to keep personal and walking photos separate and my allowance was used up real quickly so....

I started putting my photos onto Flickr recently and am using 1.39% of 1TB for my 2,343 Photos so I guess I'll be staying with Flickr  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:17:25, 10/07/16 »
My problem with sites like Photobucket and Flickr is that you are dependent on an internet connection to be able to see your pics. I have about 10GB of photos in the cloud on hubiC, run by French company OVC, they give you 25 GB free storage and 100GB for €10 a year. There is a local client to download, so you can add this to any computer and still see your pics offline. It does take a little time initially to upload and sync them all, however. As for shrinking pics for posting on forums etc, there are a number of photo compression freewares you can install.

botty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:19:53, 10/07/16 »
I've been using Google Photos (Picasa) for years and now have around 55,000 photos uploaded, it links great to my Blog (Blogger) where I now have around 250 reports from days out  O0 O0  I am a bit of a 'Googlophile' though  8)

Forkbeard

« Reply #22 on: 11:51:14, 14/07/16 »

I just signed up for a Photobucket account via the Android app so I can share the odd pic on here (no bb code on flickr app). Apparently they now give you 10gb.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 14:30:23, 14/07/16 »
Crapbucket is useless. Went for a walk with a forum member yesterday but my pics are all sideways on, and crapbucket repeatedly refuses to rotate them, tried several times. AAARGH
Even googled flikr to see about joining, but that refuses to let me join.
I HATE YOU PHOTOBUCKET >:(
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:28:00, 14/07/16 »
to join flickr, all you need is a yahoo email address which takes a couple of minutes to set up, then you can join flickr with it  O0

On Photobucket, this might help....sign in and then go to your settings (click on the little profile photo at the top right if using computer). On the settings menu, click the "albums" tab and when that page opens, have a look at the bit saying "Image rotation" Automatically rotate images on upload....this should have a "tick" on it, if it doesn't, this could be your problem sorted.

Put the tick in, then save (down the bottom" and try upload something and see if that works.

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:12:58, 14/07/16 »
Ta. O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

keithie

« Reply #26 on: 20:26:42, 14/07/16 »
Thanks botty (& forkbeard) .. google pics it is for me... phone, camera, laptop & desktop pics all uploaded to there...not so much ipad(so far as I can figure out) ... so got all walking pics up now...just need to fire up blogger/blogspot and get round to putting stuff together ! (did two more tops today ..even walked from one to the other!)

Forkbeard

« Reply #27 on: 20:29:42, 14/07/16 »
Just bare in mind the resizing with google if you're going for unlimited storage. Depending on how fussy you are about image quality (especially printing stuff), it is arguably pretty crappy.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 21:53:11, 14/07/16 »

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 10:38:54, 15/07/16 »
did it work?