Author Topic: Camera which one?  (Read 4443 times)

Cadairmanuk

• Veteran Member
http://www.facebook.com/Penygader    Bringing you all the very latest from Southern Snowdonia

Stephen Fulcher

Re: Camera which one?
« Reply #17 on: 12:09:11, 10/01/10 »
That Olympus E400 linked to there is a little misleading as you would have to buy a lens for it as well - according to the listing it does not come with one.

I have an Olympus E510 which is similar to that and it is a good camera, but might be a little excessive if you are just looking to point and shoot. The main advantage I find with it over my point and shoot camera is with the 40-150mm lens i can get a lot better quality picture zoomed in further away.

I also have a cheap Samsung 8mp point and shoot which I bought from Argos last year. In some ways it is better, for example when I took a photo in a pub recently because the Olympus fires off the flash quite a few times to get a focus and takes a while to do so, whereas the Samsung will just take the pic with one flash and in much quicker time. It also has the advantage of being far more portable - it will fit in your pocket easilly, the Olympus most certainly will not.

If I were to take a picture of exactly the same thing with both cameras, the Olympus would take a better picture.

Cadairmanuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:04:41, 10/01/10 »
Thanks lads for the information, I enjoy taking photo's even with my camera phone , and enjoy looking at them.  But and there is always a but the more I'm using it and looking on here I can tell the difference more and more! Just looking at some of the pictures on here and there fantastic , and I'm left wondering what mine would look like with a good camera.  I realise its a fine art too , but something I'm tending to "focus" in on O0

Ben
http://www.facebook.com/Penygader    Bringing you all the very latest from Southern Snowdonia

cozza and his dog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:14:11, 10/01/10 »
stick with your phone mate £100 camera wont take any better photos....cozza
well I wouldn't want to spend more than £100 at this stage.

Ben
little victorys

garyr

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:46:16, 10/01/10 »
Ben - camera phones have come on a long way recently, but if you think about it the overall camera on the phone is only a few millimetres square and even if it has 5, 6 or more mega pixels it never going to compete with the point and shoots or the SLR's. I started out with a simple point and shoot several years ago, it had a whooping 1 Megapixels, I've still got it and it takes amazing photos still. But for what I want to try and achieve now it can't compete with the Sony.

Gary ....

Oudezijds Voorburgwal

« Reply #21 on: 22:00:36, 14/01/10 »
stick with your phone mate £100 camera wont take any better photos....cozza

I disagree with that statement. I use the ixus 80 IS (ixus SD1100IS worldwide name) mentioned above and the results are far superior to a phone cam. No question, whats more is the price has more than halved since they were launched  so it's now a real bargain, IMHO
A really good place to read a review in here [nofollow] and there are some samples you can download and take a look at also.

cozza and his dog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:24:00, 15/01/10 »
sorry if that sounded bad.... but if i were you i would save up and buy quality camera as some time down the line you would be dissatisfied with the results from a cheap camera...i know I've done it!
cozza O0
little victorys

chorlton

« Reply #24 on: 23:03:31, 17/01/10 »
I use a canon ixus 95 i'll try and post some pics on here at some point.

snowslider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:43:11, 18/01/10 »
I'd be extremely cautious of the Canon P&S cameras, I bought a new one last year and I'm so p*ssed off at Canon I'll never buy one of their products again. The image quality was utterly appalling and the focus was dire, from a few hundred photo's I couldn't tell what it thought it was focussing on. As far as I can tell the problem is most people don't really want decent quality and will settle for something really quite poor, Canon seem to be happy to produce cameras for that market. That's not to say they don't produce some really good models still but it does mean you can't just pick one up off the shelf, or buy it online like I did, based on the published spec' and expect it be be usable. It's also not to say other manufacturers aren't playing exactly the same game.

It's pretty obvious to me when I see some peoples photo's that aren't very good that the problem isn't them but it's the camera, people tend to assume it's them when it's not  :)

Personally, I use a Ricoh GX200 and a Nikon D40 DSLR both of which I really, really rate. The Ricoh is  a small "rangefinder" style camera and not easy to use but the quality I think is fantastic.

The one really valuable lesson I learnt from the piece of junk I got from Canon was to ignore the reviews and spec's and look for real examples, if you look on Flickr you can find hundred or thousands of sample images from pretty much any camera. Had I done that before buying the A1000 from Canon I'd have seen not one of those images was any good, none of them were properly focussed, none had decent depth of field or any detail through the image.

JulianC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 11:57:09, 18/01/10 »
 ::) 300 quid camera better than 90 quid point and shoot shocker!  ;D

Seriously though, you can't expect any cheap point and shoot to offer anywhere near the quality of an SLR or expensive compact. A quick look around Flickr shows that the A1000 is no better or worse than any similar priced offering. Some images look pretty good in fact. Perhaps you got a duffer. Perhaps your expectations were unrealistic.

It's pretty obvious to me when I see some peoples photo's that aren'tvery good that the problem isn't them but it's the camera, people tendto assume it's them when it's not

I disagree. Not knowing how to use your camera and not understanding its capabilities will give you poor results. I can churn out similarly crap images with a cheap point and shoot and my expensive SLR, easy peasy. Conversely a half decent photographer will get good results no matter what camera they are using. The old adage that a bad workman blames his tools applies just as well to photography as anything else.

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 14:23:34, 18/01/10 »
::) 300 quid camera better than 90 quid point and shoot shocker!  ;D

Seriously though, you can't expect any cheap point and shoot to offer anywhere near the quality of an SLR or expensive compact. A quick look around Flickr shows that the A1000 is no better or worse than any similar priced offering. Some images look pretty good in fact. Perhaps you got a duffer. Perhaps your expectations were unrealistic.

I disagree. Not knowing how to use your camera and not understanding its capabilities will give you poor results. I can churn out similarly crap images with a cheap point and shoot and my expensive SLR, easy peasy. Conversely a half decent photographer will get good results no matter what camera they are using. The old adage that a bad workman blames his tools applies just as well to photography as anything else.

Agreed. My Canon S90 is very very sharp its shocking. Yes it doesnt handle high ISO's as well and it doesnt have quite the dynamic range of a SLR etc etc but for a point and shoot you can't expect anymore, and for the money its bloody fantastic. It does exactly what I intended it to do, replace my SLR when I dont want to carry it. My only criticism with the camera is I find a viewfinder much better than liveview for composition, however no P&S offers a decent viewfinder.

Two things I say about cameras. You can't give a monkey a pro camera and expect pro results. The best camera is the one between your ears.

As they say "nuff said"
Check out SLP Photography Derbyshire Wedding Photographer

JulianC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 16:19:59, 18/01/10 »
The best camera is the one between your ears.

:uglystupid2: I'm doomed.....

Mind you, I remember to take the lens cap off these days, so there is hope.

Sounds like you're getting on OK with the S90 Granty? I like the look of it and was toying with the idea of getting one for those times when I didn't want to carry the SLR around, much as yourself.  My plan was scuppered when I won a Samsung WB550 so I use that instead. It's not bad at all but it doesn't look half as cool as the S90  ;D

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:26:33, 18/01/10 »
Its a very good camera with a nice bright aperature, which is bloody useless. I love shooting at F2 in low light, makes my shakey hands seem nice and steady!

I nearly got the Panasonic LX3 with it having a wider angle, but with it being quite a bit larger (not trouser pocketable) and due for a replacement soon after weeks of agonising debate I chose the S90 and I'm glad I did. Does what it says on the tin. Also uses same sensor as the G11....and I'm sorry your not going to want a G11 if you have a DSLR already.

You cant grumble at a free camera though!

Check out SLP Photography Derbyshire Wedding Photographer

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy