Author Topic: "The Mountain"  (Read 2210 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
"The Mountain"
« on: 17:31:17, 25/10/19 »
On ITV Monday 28 November at 8:00 pm (9:00 pm on ITV+1).

Cameras follow a year in the life of Mount Snowdon in Wales, capturing both its beauty through the seasons and stories from the Mountain Railway and Llanberis Mountain Rescue Team.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: "The Mountain"
« Reply #1 on: 18:18:43, 25/10/19 »
Thanks for the heads up. I will look out for this. It is a long time since I have been in the area, but I am still hoping to have another go at the 3000s before I get too old, if I can get over my injuries.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:20:34, 12/11/19 »
This evening I got around to watching my recording of the first episode, and I must say I wasn't very impressed with it.
Following what must have been one of the longest introductions ever, the programme never settled down. It jumped from one subject to another, while the scenes changed at such a rapid speed that I never got the chance to let my eyes settle on something and absorb it before it flicked to something else.
Overall, I was very disappointed.
Did anyone else watch it, and what did you make of it?

Whoops, just spotted the wrong date in my OP!
You are all so kind for not pointing it out and embarrassing me.
« Last Edit: 09:14:03, 13/11/19 by fernman »

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:17:16, 13/11/19 »
I watched the first part but thought it was boring.
It's all uphill from here.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:44:03, 13/11/19 »
I watched both part one (last week) and part 2 (this week)
This week reminded me why I will be unlikely to ever again 'do Snowdon'

The average number of 'climbers' that reach the summit is now 1000 per day and in the height of Summer it can reach over 2000 per day.
As some of the 'locals' said, "its like watching a continuous army of ants" - they are even queueing for up to an hour to actually stand on the Trig point.

Not my kind of walking !!

« Last Edit: 07:51:49, 13/11/19 by alan de enfield »

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:01:33, 13/11/19 »
It jumped from one subject to another, while the scenes changed at such a rapid speed that I never got the chance to let my eyes settle on something and absorb it before it flicked to something else.

Yes indeed  >:(
This has been the norm for quite a long time now judging by the (admittedly few) programmes we've seen. Often the raw footage is all there for a good programme, but it's been mixed and edited by a bunch of hyperactive idiots from the MTV generation who can't keep still and actually think the result is cool. It's unwatchable!.

This week reminded me why I will be unlikely to ever again 'do Snowdon'
The average number of 'climbers' that reach the summit is now 1000 per day...

Such is the inevitable fate of most day walkers usually, it takes both planning and luck to avoid crowds. We actually stood alone at the summit area once in February 1996 in a wintry snowbound landscape. In February 2008 I arrived at the summit with just a few others, even having gained a high start from a pitch near Gallt y Wenallt.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 05:08:11, 14/11/19 »
There are much nicer (and a lot quieter) mountains to be climbed than Snowdon!
***Happiness is only a smile away***

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:01:20, 14/11/19 »
Much like Everest really. It really is a small world.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:06:42, 14/11/19 »
There are much nicer (and a lot quieter) mountains to be climbed than Snowdon!
So true and the same for places and areas to walk. Just have to look at a good map, visual the land and go. I met a guy one time at Knighton up near Offas Dyke a long time ago and he said he thought the Black mountains were better than the Beacons. I didnt have an opinion either way, but having a few years of hiking under my belt now I do. I don`t think they are better but they certainly are different and tend to be quieter, it only takes a bit of planning to avoid the crowds.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:34:21, 14/11/19 »
We did all three national peaks last year at separate times, purely because we realised we had never done any of them! We probably won’t be doing them again, they were far too busy for us. Some of the walking up and down was ok because we picked quieter routes but the summits were crowded, Snowdon especially.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:06:32, 18/11/19 »
The last time I ascended Snowdon, I got to the summit at about 5 a.m. on a weekday. Apart from my walking companions I saw nobody on the ascent, the summit or the descent over Crib Goch and CG North Ridge.  This was a good few years ago, so the situation could be different now.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:35:24, 20/11/19 »
IMO Snowdon gets a bad rap. If you’re there on a weekday, early doors, on one of the less well-trod paths, it’s a beautiful mountain - there’s a fantastic variety of ridges, craggs and cwms.

I think the program tries to show a balanced view, but they have to show to crowds. 

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:57:48, 20/11/19 »
Late time I was there, about three years ago. It was a Sunday in mid summer, a sunny dry day. I did the hourseshoe, a saw about six people up Crib Goch on Snowdon summit it was like Kensington high Street at Christmas. Once I'd dropped off the summit towards the Watkin path the crowd's disappeared and the rest of the walk was quite pleasant.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy