Author Topic: best maps app  (Read 5241 times)

Helen6591

best maps app
« on: 16:32:08, 10/02/19 »

Can anyone give me some feedback on which are the best apps for android and iPhone for mapping.
I have just started a 7 day free trial on Viewranger - does this mean that I can download a map for the area I am visiting and then use it even if I have no internet connection? DO these downloads remain on the phone indefinitely?
Sorry to be a little dim!
Would appreciate all comments on what is best please

tom83

Re: best maps app
« Reply #1 on: 17:19:01, 10/02/19 »
I use the Ordinance Survey app. It does cost £24.99 for the year, but it has never let me down.

I plot my routes on my laptop, and then download the maps on my phone.

Ronin83

« Reply #2 on: 18:36:41, 10/02/19 »
Viewranger is pretty good, its what I use. I now use OS maps on viewranger, but viewrangers own map is pretty good to begin with to see if you like the app before purchasing a better one from within the app. The map is like a canvas, but the app does all the recording, plotting etc.

I think u can download a section of map for offline use

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:56:03, 10/02/19 »
I must be one of the few that doesn’t like Viewranger, I’m sure it’s very good but I couldn’t get on with it. When I need to I use OutdoorsGB with national parks, used with 1:25 scale explorer maps http://outdoorsgps.com/25kmaps
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:01:54, 10/02/19 »
Another vote for the Ordnance Survey app. You get access to all of UK OS mapping and it can be as little as £20 per year if you agree to a continuous contract.. You can create routes on the maps with your phone/tablet or PC.
 I use a pc as it can be a tad tricky to create routes on small screens. It is for my old eyes any way. If you create a route then you can save it & download it onto the applicable section of OS mapping (which is also saved onto your phone when requested) and use it without the need for a mobile or internet connection, as long as your phone or tablet has a reasonable GPS and the phone has the necessary specifications..You can find out what specs`are needed on the OS site.
« Last Edit: 19:15:03, 10/02/19 by GinAndPlatonic »
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:46:40, 10/02/19 »
+1  O0 For Viewranger. I find the documentation to be extremely easy to understand. I plot where I' m going on my larger screen PC then load routes into my account. I then sync the routes I want to follow to my phone. 
I use the annual OS subscription on VR. But it has plenty of free maps available I find the satellite view very useful indeed.As far as I can see all maps and gpx route files are downloadable for offline use.I use a large screen phone that I bought cheap (Alcatel) without a SIM. GPS works without the need for a phone signal and I have that phone on power save and airline mode to conserve the battery.

Now the one thing that I really appreciate is that the team at VR are so approachable and extremly helpful.

Too little, too late, too bad......

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:55:10, 10/02/19 »
I have an Android phone and use Backcountry. Works well and has never let me down. I think there is a free and a paid for version.

motorlaunch

« Reply #7 on: 20:17:07, 10/02/19 »
I use Backcountry on an android phone. (It is not available for the iphone yet). You pay for the app £8 and can then download the sections of map you want for free. They have OS maps for the UK. The app can be installed on 4 devices. I have it on my tablet and can do screen prints of the maps to take with me. You can download the free version of the app to try it out for two weeks. I have dowloaded maps for Scotland, England and Wales as well as maps for Austria, France and  Switzerland. Well worth £8.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:06:24, 10/02/19 »
Another OSapp user here.  No subscription though I just upload the digital maps I have bought as paper copies. Great system, as long as it lasts.

taxino8

« Reply #9 on: 21:09:10, 10/02/19 »
O.S.. Maps for me too, the bonus is you can print your selected area as well.

1slandmonkey

« Reply #10 on: 22:52:58, 10/02/19 »
I literally just got OS maps one month subscription today to test out. Going to print some maps off at the library tomorrow as I have a lot of walking planned this month. I want to see if I like it first before signing up for a year.

Does it also track your route as you walk it? I have a garmin GPS which will do that but I like the idea of sharing my track after I have walked it.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:30:59, 11/02/19 »

Does it also track your route as you walk it? I have a garmin GPS which will do that but I like the idea of sharing my track after I have walked it.
Yes you can set it to track your walk & save it later as a GPX..
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:48:19, 11/02/19 »

You can share your Garmin tracks ...
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:12:38, 11/02/19 »
The great thing about gpx files is that they can be shared through most of the popular  platforms.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #14 on: 17:20:19, 11/02/19 »
Another vote for the OS subscription. Create the route on your pc and synch it with your mobile. Use to check your position if you're not sure whether you're on your chosen path. I suppose you can be using quite a bit of data if you have it on for the whole duration of your walk. (I always have a paper map with the route marked on it).
Dave

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy