Author Topic: Moving to Devon - I need a starter for 10.  (Read 4745 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Moving to Devon - I need a starter for 10.
« on: 17:42:15, 04/06/16 »
There be those that we be mad but it looks like in the next few weeks we are moving from our little corner of the Pennines to mid Devon (solicitors and estate agents permitting).  The new house is on the Two Moors Way half way between Exmoor and Dartmoor so the most of the South West is our oyster.

My previous walking experience of the area is limited to a few days on Dartmoor nearly 50 years ago and a couple of sections of the SWCP last year.  I feel a bit like a kid in a sweet shop - not sure what to do first.  Mrs Ninthace likes walks of up to 8 miles whereas, when I am walking alone, I am happy to go all day. We usually do circular or out and back walks.

So I was wondering if the more experienced walkers from in the SW could offer an opinion of what walks they would start with if they were in my position?
Solvitur Ambulando

keithie

Re: Moving to Devon - I need a starter for 10.
« Reply #1 on: 18:10:22, 04/06/16 »
Two moors way is great (one of our villager's daughters arranges the Two Moors Way Festival)..in fact it goes right next to one of my fave places ...the Chains (most exposed place in Southern England ..allegedly).

Then there's the Tarka trail, Coleridge Way, Macmillan Way(goes through the field next to us), SWCP if you want distance trails.

There's also the route of the 'Perambulation of the Exmoor Forest' which is a good day chalkenge.

As for what you would start with..an OL9 ...lol..then, if it were me, I'd check out the high wild stuff while it's summer...maybe down towards Exehead and Pinkery (and towards Simmonsbath) if you want to explore off-piste. Over towards the Doone Valkey and up onto the Brendons is really pretty too for off piste / short day trips.

All in good time I guess :)

For the day trip circular walks (mostly 8 miles or less) we like the Exmoor Rangers' Favourite Walks book..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Exmoor-Rangers-Favourite-Walks-Circular/dp/0861834178

(or the later version.. £7 well spent)
« Last Edit: 18:15:43, 04/06/16 by keithie »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:39:30, 04/06/16 »
Thanks Keithie.  Useful gen, I am already armed to the teeth with OL9 , OL28 and Explorer 109.  Off piste is not a problem either. Mrs Ninthace will get a copy of the book you recommend for her birthday which is well timed for the move too.  It's the maps and google that prompted my question, so many walks - so little time!
Solvitur Ambulando

keithie

« Reply #3 on: 18:57:08, 04/06/16 »
If you'd like a really lovely and relatively obscure walk then you can head out from Larkbarrow to a littke known pkace called 'Three Combes Foot'.

There's a lot of lore and 'real' history as well around there ... including the Kittuck Stone

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1014284

Rather be walking

« Reply #4 on: 10:27:32, 06/06/16 »
Yes, we will be walking the northern section of the 'Two Moors Way' and parts of coastal path in two weeks time.
Love Exmoor, north Devon, Cornwall.  O0

John.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:12:55, 06/06/16 »
There be those that think we be mad but it looks like in the next few weeks we are moving from our little corner of the Pennines to mid Devon (solicitors and estate agents permitting).

Shock horror.....Thats terrible news

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:24:09, 06/06/16 »
Shock horror.....Thats terrible news

For me or Devon?   ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:13:25, 07/06/16 »
Welcome to the South West.   O0

So many places to walk down here.  Coast for the splendour. Moors for the solitude.  I'm recently back to walking after 35 years surfing.  Loving rediscovering Dartmoor all over again.  It's a vast place I thought I had walked in my youth, but now discovering vast areas around the edge, I never knew existed.  Surprised at the variety after the bleakness of the central moor that I walked a great deal in my late teens :)   Like yourself my wife prefers shorter distances.  We have walked many short sections of the coast path over the years.  The views are truly spectacular at times, but it's a busy route and not really my cup of tea.  Enjoy discovering the SW.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:07:18, 26/08/16 »
Thanks everyone for your contributions. We finally arrived in Devon 2 weeks ago and finally got broadband today which, while a great relief, has removed my excuse of nipping down to the pub each evening to download the paper and check the emails. It has been a nightmare move, the worst in 28 moves, but now we are here and well into the unpacking. Looking forward to trying out your suggestions and to sampling the delights of Dartmoor, Exmoor and beyond.
Solvitur Ambulando

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:19:20, 26/08/16 »
the worst in 28 moves

Glad to hear you have successfully arrived but 28 moves, are you addicted to moving? If ever I need help moving I know who to ask as I have never moved.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:18:35, 26/08/16 »
Best wihes  to you and family in your new home. I have it in mind to do aDartmoor meet-up at some time, so will be relying on you for some local knowledge  ;)
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

keithie

« Reply #11 on: 17:21:14, 27/08/16 »
great news you're moved in and back online ...hopefully you can stay long enough (28 moves sounds like not so long in one place!) to enjoy all the walks !

we happen to be off to Yes Tor (and the Devon county top) from the reservoir towards the end of next ...probably Friday.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:01:32, 05/09/16 »
Slightly belated welcome to glorious Devon - hope you will be happy in your new home and enjoy all the wonderful walking we have here.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:24:45, 05/09/16 »
Slightly belated welcome to glorious Devon - hope you will be happy in your new home and enjoy all the wonderful walking we have here.

Thanks Jac, we have spent so long unpacking and shopping for furniture and curtains etc for the new house that we haven't had a chance to get out yet but all that is about to change.  I have bought some guide books and am planning to leave boot prints on some part of Exmoor this week as a prelude to tackling the suggestions above. It is amazing how quickly I have become unfit and how the pounds have piled on while I haven't been out.  You'd think humping boxes about and tackling a slightly overgrown garden would compensate but it doesn't.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:18:49, 07/09/16 »
At last, we managed a circular on Exmoor from the Poltimore Arms. Nice pub decent food and beer - remote enough to not be on the mains. Couldn't believe how much we ached after the lay off. Hopefully should get back into trim before long.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy