Author Topic: [Trip report] - Win Hill and there abouts  (Read 4429 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
[Trip report] - Win Hill and there abouts
« on: 22:41:06, 14/11/08 »
Date of walk - 08/11/08/
Distance - Was supposed to be 10 miles, ended up a shade under 13.
Weather - All over the shop, sunny, windy, rainy in any combination.

This was a training walk for the High Peak Trail walk we're doing next weekend for the BHF (and yes you can sponsor me here - http://www.justgiving.com/darrenclarke3).

Originally we were looking to do a circuit of Win Hill and Lose Hill, but whilst the weather was factor, time was a bigger problem. In all we were walking about 5 hours and needed to head off due to other appointments.

The now obligatory, if greyscale, OS map of the route.

The original plan was to head around Ladybower and up Parkins Clough. Sadly this didn't happen for reasons I'll mention later and also explain my irritation with Severn Trent. Still we started in Bamford and, for once, made the start of the walk quite easily.

After walking through the village we ended up at the mill and crossed the very flooded mill race with its combo of stepping stones and bridges.

Fairly precarious in a fast flowing river but we felt safe enough.

Once we got to the other side though the fields were incredibly muddy. Slipping and sliding away we eventually made it to the Bridleway, where we saw a Severn Trent sign.

This sign said the path over the river we'd just taken was closed due to flood damage and there was no alternate route. Pity they never said that on the other side of the river really, that and we'd have to come back this way anyway. Obviously we weren't impressed with Severn Trent and were now a little nervous about the return crossing. On we pressed anyway.

We were intending to walk up Parkins Clough. So dutifully we followed the map. We passed a step saying walkers only, but no sign post here for Parkins Clough where as all the other crossings had some indication of what was where (even if most said Private).

Eventually we came to where the map said Parkins Clough started. The place where Severn Trent had built fences stating "No Entry. Dangerous. Private Land". After much cursing we had a decision to make. I checked on the GPS that yes we were at the start of the path up, and Yes we were - so do we go back and see if the other path was the way or follow the route on the map and take a route that joins the clough later on?

As the other route wasn't on the map we decided it was safer to walk on and join the clough part way up even if it meant taking a longer route. Still it did give some nice views over Ladybower.

There was obviously a running event on so we had a few interruptions on our path up, but soon we joined the Clough (sign posted here and no Severn Trent signs saying go away either I noted) and went up the foot path of stones and tree roots towards Win Hill Pike.

Win Hill is a strange beast, but you do get some cracking views. These aren't even from the top!

Still the approach is steep.

Very windy today so we didn't stay long on the top, but the 360degree views were excellent.

As we walked away from Win Hill it almost looked like someone had been at work with a fret saw. If the hill had afforded more shelter we'd have lingered and eaten, as it was we did the entire walk without stopping or eating.

Walking away from Win Hill does show it's remarkable geology. It's a place a think we'll revisit.

Eventually after walking through weather that couldn't make it mind up we decided to take the road route home as we were visting an ill friend and didn't want to be late. So we finished with lots of road walking but a nice shot even so.

A walk without break wasn't ideal but considering the bad weather on the High Peak last year it may not be a bad preparartion. Due to injury we won't get another walk in before the BHF walk, but I may report on that one if weather permits.

© Dazza
« Last Edit: 23:28:01, 02/10/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: [Trip report] - Win Hill and there abouts
« Reply #1 on: 22:58:57, 14/11/08 »
.. On the other hand (despite the ministrations of the water company) - if you've just done 13 miles, your BHF walk isnt all that much further.  In fact, you should walk it... er...as it were.... ahem...

Anyway, I'm confident. (partly because I'm not actually taking part....)

Keep plugging away dazza...

Nice pics too, incidentally...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Re: [Trip report] - Win Hill and there abouts
« Reply #2 on: 23:13:10, 14/11/08 »
Thanks Mike.

We'd have liked to do more this weekend (the Roaches looks good) but considering the injuries though best not.

If the weather is good we should be fine. If not... well we'll be fine but not happy bunnies!

However here are two downloadable panoramic views. You can see the join on one of them but the water wouldn't behave dammit!

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/Dazzauk_bucket/WF-Winhill%20Pano/LadybowerPanorama.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll310/Dazzauk_bucket/WF-Winhill%20Pano/ViewfromWinHilloverLadyBower.jpg
« Last Edit: 23:38:12, 14/11/08 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy