Author Topic: Every Autumn Photo Tells a Story  (Read 28318 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Re: Every Autumn Photo Tells a Story
« Reply #30 on: 09:19:14, 09/10/16 »

First train over.

Next day is same again after a later start BUT tonight the plan is to do an evening walk round the Ribblehead and pitch the tent so we can sample the equally gorgeous light conditions in the hour before dawn.

Follow link for full story and more photos First Train Over

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 11:11:24, 10/10/16 »
Great wide angle image.

Walking is very much about what I see being connected with the terrain I am in, to get this perspective without crawling around in ditches appealed to me. Taken off the footpath a few weeks ago in Cornwall using the limit of my lens, just a snap as we were walking along.

Only just starting to look at some of the photos I took on these walks.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 13:05:33, 10/10/16 »
Great wide angle image.

Thanks, I took 6 portrait shots and put them thro a Pano programme then cropped it top and bottom.

I like your tractor shot the subject is on the third moving into the shot BUT there is a lot of green in the bottom left doing nowt so I would crop it about half way down. This would exaggerate the subject and enhance the wide angle.  what do you think?

I took a series of shots of a tractor harrowing a field nr Filey a couple of weeks back,  it was in a cloud of red dust with thousands of sea gulls following it, I will post it some time.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 13:19:56, 10/10/16 »

I like your tractor shot the subject is on the third moving into the shot BUT there is a lot of green in the bottom left doing nowt so I would crop it about half way down. This would exaggerate the subject and enhance the wide angle.  what do you think?

I agree about the green.I was trying to keep as much of the haws as possible. The autumn angle but it is the terrain that put the tractor at that angle which caught my eye.
BWW

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 18:51:05, 10/10/16 »

Duskover the Langdale Pikes

The classic view of Blea Tarn is from close to the lakeside which is where everyone takes the photo, they have even put a car park there cos all the photographers cars clogged the narrow road. I was looking for a different angle so we went for a walk up the slops of Mart Crag.     
The view from here  is superb it drew my attention to the potential views from neighbouring Side Pike so that was our next stop. By now dusk was falling so after a short walk it was time for us to return to the valley BUT we decided to return for sunrise.  

Follow link for full story and more photos Dusk and Dawn over the Langdale Pikes  

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 22:40:18, 10/10/16 »
 O0  Mesmerising - great vantage point and much better than the classic view.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 13:43:45, 14/10/16 »

Close to home, a much walked path on the outskirts of the town passes within view of a small mere. The distance from the edge of the water is 150 yards but few seem to veer off the righteous way to avail themselves of the waterside views. I did on this occasion and found an abundance of freshwater mussel shells, they seemed to blend in with the autumn leaves rather well.
BWW

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 16:47:11, 14/10/16 »
Great photo bww - It goes to show that sometimes it's the small things that go un-noticed and well worth the time to search them out.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 09:14:30, 15/10/16 »
I was surprised to discover an abundance of freshwater mussels in a group of small ponds on a nature reserve nr Exeter.
Not that I would nor want to but I wonder if they are edible. They certainly look very meaty.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 12:17:04, 15/10/16 »
In theory they are edible but depends on the quality of the water, and one species is endangered so its not legal to take that particular type.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 12:24:42, 15/10/16 »
In theory they are edible but depends on the quality of the water, and one species is endangered so its not legal to take that particular type.

I wonder if they would have been a source of food for prehistoric peoples. I've never heard of middens with fresh water mussel shells though plenty of sea shell middens.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 12:32:10, 15/10/16 »
I was surprised to discover an abundance of freshwater mussels in a group of small ponds on a nature reserve nr Exeter.
Not that I would nor want to but I wonder if they are edible. They certainly look very meaty.

Would seem to be, I googled it and plenty of info;
https://blog.raymears.com/2010/07/13/freshwater-mussel-find/
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=720
http://www.weekendnotes.com/how-to-purge-freshwater-mussels/

There is a pearl bearing fresh water mussel, this is the endangered species, I seem to remember reading a novel in the dim and distant past about a large fresh water mussel pearl being the cause of some skulduggery. I also recall, thanks to the memory jog of one of the above threads; a canal being drained and the fresh water mussel shells being abundant where the old barges overnighted. So looked as if they harvested them where they could and then cooked them.

I grew up near a stretch of canal, when I could first walk the location was within reach, together with other kids we would visit the few bargees still on the canal. I do not think they were carrying cargoes more using their barges as caravans and travelling to seasonal work. I have thought more about it recently,
Posting here;
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=30054.msg479362#msg479362

the map shows a length of tunnel, which I believe had significant effect on the early access network, signs that the bargees overnighted at the north end of the tunnel where I saw the bed of the canal strewn with shells, must have been mirrored at the south end. Now my memory has been jogged, I recall there were places where we used to see a carpet of shells when the water was crystal clear and their iridescence would reflect from the bed of the cut.

The relevance is only just making me realise that this length of tunnel had no towpath, so the barges had to be legged through, is this another reason why the ferry seems to link with both end of the tunnel, because the length of stopover was longer.

Thoughts and memories stirred all from posting a photo.

BWW

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 07:17:27, 16/10/16 »
Thoughts and memories stirred all from posting a photo.

Indeed very interesting, never come across fresh water mussels, you learn something every day.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 11:23:24, 16/10/16 »
Indeed very interesting, never come across fresh water mussels, you learn something every day.

I have just been speaking to my brother now living in Australia. I asked him if he remembered seeing the mussels shells in the canal, he immediately reminded me of a bed of live mussels we found in the River Severn. They were on the downstream edge of where the river flowed over a rock bed. These probably would be safely edible, fresh water continuously flowing over them. That is if they are still there, it was a long time ago.
BWW

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 11:33:07, 16/10/16 »

My last Munro in Glencoe

Would rather drive a Peugeot 308 or a Porsche 911, do you favour all inclusive holidays in Benidorm or gazing at sunsets over the Utah desert towers?    
Are you happy with instant coffee?  
If all you want is to plod, plod, plod the easiest route up a mountain that will blur into insignificance after a week, ignore this post.

On the other hand if you like a bit of excitement doing a top mountain route that will stick in your memory for the rest of your years read on.  

Follow link for full story and more photos     My last Munro in Glencoe  

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy