Author Topic: Every Autumn Photo Tells a Story  (Read 28445 times)

Hedgetrimmer

Re: Every Autumn Photo Tells a Story
« Reply #90 on: 18:25:08, 10/11/16 »
Fantastic pictures, Wurz - just goes to show that sometimes the most amazing views can be on a far smaller scale than mountains and valleys if you take time to look around you.  O0

Agreed. Fabulous pictures  O0

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #91 on: 08:53:18, 11/11/16 »
All the photos seem to have dropped off this thread so its once again time to cose it down.

All the photos have seem to have reappeared, anybody know why this is happening?

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #92 on: 09:17:07, 11/11/16 »

Not until we got home and I started to plot our actual route on my PC to store in 'my walks' file. I FOUND the reason, there were two Cefn Ddu's DDDDUUUUUUeeeeewwwwww!!!!!!!!!

Nice one BWW

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: 09:20:13, 11/11/16 »
Some shrooms from yesterdays dog walk about 7km and a landscape from today's of just over 9km.

Thanks for contributing I have only taken a handfull of Funghi Photos this year, I don't thinkm its been a good year for them.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #94 on: 09:21:28, 11/11/16 »
Three photos from a recent trip to Baddesley Clinton, a medieval moated manor house, followed by a close up of a sycamore leaf

Nice............

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #95 on: 10:05:19, 11/11/16 »

A view of the Aonach Eagach Ridge from the ledge of Ryolite Romp

Today we plan to go onto one of these on the mountains opposite the Aonach Eagach called Aonach Dubh via a route called the Ryolite Romp. 

Never heard of it I hear you say...................

It starts on the West Face of Aonach Dubh, steep territory here, home to some of the best rock climbing and mountaineerimg routes in Scotland.

Our route really is a sheep in wolfs clothing, sneaking up an easy scramble called Dinner Time Buttress amidst steeper ground. Leading onto a monster kilometer long traverse time with steep crags above and below. A break in the upper crag allows you to escape and ascend a gully leading you onto a second traverse leading back past the point you started.

View from the Claghaig Inn showing the West Face of Aonach Dubh and the approx line of our route to the summit.

Follow link for full story and many more photos A Ryolite Romp

domtheone

• Veteran Member
« Reply #96 on: 10:12:44, 11/11/16 »
Nice

I remember you talking about this one when we were on Aonach Eagach :)
If they don't like you going out, they'll love you coming in!

*Money back guarantee does not cover for **** weather!

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #97 on: 10:41:50, 11/11/16 »

Nice one BWW

Thanks MWM, glad you read my experience I posted with the picture, your idea of a photo telling a story sometimes needs a bit of text to help.

An Autumn scene? Low light comes on earlier and it gives more to a photo, gateways are places of mystery, that is if the imagination is allowed to be let loose.  

Here I met a fellow walker, we chatted a while and then parted. He disappeared through this gate. Just out of the left side of the picture is a fingerpost, it gives access to a couple of hundred yards of footpath, cuts across the corner of a large field and dumps the walker on a busy B road, two lanes of traffic reaching to the hedges on both side. Just the sort of useless bit of right of way that landowners claims the entire network is made up of.
(being the substance of such articles as those here;
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=30054.msg470233#msg470233
and here;
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=30054.msg471642#msg471642)
but that is not the route this walker took. Perhaps older than myself, just taking to the countryside on a pleasant afternoon to escape from a retirement home in a small rural village, he had made a clever route for his regular walk because it did not follow the righteous way with civic propriety. Following field access tracks and field margins his route led down to a substantial footbridge over the River Roden about a mile downstream from the bridge I took this photo from;

The course of the Shropshire Way goes over this footbridge but to reach it the SW follows several miles of highway. This is not always to the advantage of a way that is supposed to attract a walker to the Shropshire countryside.

As I was writing this MWM has posted a great picture which shows the wide difference of routes our interest takes us to.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #98 on: 11:28:31, 11/11/16 »
Nice

I remember you talking about this one when we were on Aonach Eagach :)

Yes indeed Dom it left an indelable mark on me when I did it first time, a very unusual day out.

When we finished we went back to the Clachaig for a pint and bumped into one of youngsters I introduced to climbing as a lad, he is now working as an MIC.

He reckones Ryolite Romp is one of the best days out in Glencoe, he uses it a lot with clients and always gets good feedback.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #99 on: 11:32:02, 11/11/16 »
As I was writing this MWM has posted a great picture which shows the wide difference of routes our interest takes us to.

Yes indeed BWW keep em coming, as I always say Variety is the spice of life.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #100 on: 12:14:56, 14/11/16 »
Yes indeed BWW keep em coming, as I always say Variety is the spice of life.

Can't resist an invitation.
Many on this forum may guess my fascination with walking, in my later life, revolves around questioning the Definitive Map and relating its veracity and effectiveness with topography. Forgive the long words but this is the best description I can come up with in as short a sentence as possible.

Autumn is the time of year we share the countryside with game shooting, which is one of the main underlying reasons why landowners wish to keep visitors out of their countryside. This may not be directly the reason given because it is so often cloaked in the disguise of 'conservation' and 'land management'.

The search for special places of beauty or interest has taken me off piste, the word trespass may be used to to describe this activity, but like those climbers who forced routes up rock faces previously thought unclimbable, I like to think of this as exploration.

This photo shows a moment, when I chose not to go of piste, to my front is a wood marked, on a map marked as open access, clearly dissected by neatly cut rides but which might give me access to its farther side from where I would have to launch myself 'off piste' and visible exposed into a broad valley before I could intersect with a right of way.

Ragged volleys of gunfire were the reason why there are so many birds in the air, ten buzzards and one kite is a fair indication that they are plentiful in this area and the extended volleys were a sign that many pheasants were being driven over 20 guns or more. At £46 a bird serious money was dropping out of the sky provided the marksmanship was up to scratch.
A shoot managed by those, who do not think it necessary to kill birds of prey, is a good sign, perhaps not the day to go off piste and the pheasants disturbed by my presence were flying away from the action. Not a way to share the countryside, even if there were a right of access.

But a little more about the picture because it is not a genuine photograph. I could not take all ten buzzards and the one kite in a single shot, not because that shot was not possible to get into the frame, but because of the high hedges on either side of the road. On one hand conservation activity has cleaned up the act of gamekeepering, it is questionable that hedge management has been influenced to the better by conservation. Together with 'White Van driver, agricultural vehicles the same width as heavy haulage, country based commuters, the over high hedge makes the roadway a less attractive place to walk than in the days of better hedge management.

I don't suppose there are many today, who can remember a thorn hedge so closely latticed with thorns that a magpie could could perch 10 inches away from a sitting blackbird safely brooding her eggs.

Thinking of Crab apples and pheasant I googled a recipe,
For Crab Apple jelly and Pheasant click.
and
a real interesting Normandy Pheasant recipe'

And for the photo I had to import a few extra birds from elsewhere.
BWW

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #101 on: 15:41:38, 14/11/16 »

Thinking of Crab apples and pheasant I googled a recipe,
For Crab Apple jelly and Pheasant click.
and
a real interesting Normandy Pheasant recipe'

There's a coincidence - we had stuffed pheasant breasts wrapped in bacon with a redwine and crabapple jelly gravy for supper last night. Twas yummy
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #102 on: 16:50:16, 14/11/16 »
There's a coincidence - we had stuffed pheasant breasts wrapped in bacon with a redwine and crabapple jelly gravy for supper last night. Twas yummy

Sounds great, just returned from a walk with a carrier bag bulging with crab apples, so just a matter of time and we will be following your example. There is a good game dealer in the our towns market hall.
BWW

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #103 on: 21:40:18, 14/11/16 »
As autumnal as it gets I'd say

I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #104 on: 10:59:31, 16/11/16 »
Ragged volleys of gunfire were the reason why there are so many birds in the air, ten buzzards and one kite is a fair indication that they are plentiful in this area.

I was looking at the photo thinking I have often seen a lot of Kites together but normaaly see Buzzards in ones and twos in spring.

Than I read on........Nice one BWW

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy