Author Topic: Every Autumn Photo Tells a Story  (Read 28331 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Re: Every Autumn Photo Tells a Story
« Reply #105 on: 11:06:53, 16/11/16 »
As autumnal as it gets I'd say

Dave,

When I first looked at this I thought it looked like Padley Gorge. We used to do the waterfall walk from the top so you didn't have to pay. last time I went they had built a stalag at the top with a guard in it, I was on my way out and he tried to charge me so I just turned round and retraced my steps.

Nice pic

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #106 on: 11:22:17, 16/11/16 »
Confessions of a compulsive weather watcher (Part Two)  

'as if by magic the south side of the valley suddenly lit up'

Yesterday we had arrived at the hut in Langdale to find the occupants had just had 2 wet days, while we had been basking in the sunshine on the east side of the country so they were skeptical when I said it was gonna be brill for the next couple of days.

Next morning we all awake to blue skies and sunshine, decided to do a traverse of Lingmoor then complete the circuit back thro the valley, the views were very impressive and we had spotted some potential spots for taking photos. It also allowed us to make some notes about the timings of shadows in the valley.

The next day we were up at 06.00 the plan was to get some some sunrise shots, which were a disappointment, you can't win em all, back to the hut for breakfast.

Today's main walk was on the north side of the valley including Blea Rigg and Silver Howe. The sun eventually broke thro and this walk gave us chance to observe the timings of the shadows on the other side of the valley.

After three superb walking days so the next day was going back home, we had a lie in, late breakfast and tidied up the hut, as the predicted time approached as if by magic the south side of the valley suddenly lit up and we were treated to an amazing view.

II don't think it will be long before I am back in Langdale, now what is that weather forecast doing​?.

Follow link for full story and more photos Confessions of acomplusive weather watcher (Part Two)  

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #107 on: 13:36:35, 20/11/16 »

One would expect the clocks going back would be a depressing time BUT a funny thing happens late October when is fading by three and dark by five. My interest in the counrtyside switches to the bright lights of the cities like the click a switch.

When its grim outside and dark and wet, I like nothing more than a walk round some of our magnificent northern towns and cities.

In particular I have a thing about bridges, cathedrals, stations, trains, old buildings, new buildings, still life, moving objects, old pubs, well  am sure you get my jist.

The 5.15 going south

Follow link for full story and more photos     The leaving of Durham Town

« Last Edit: 08:25:51, 21/11/16 by midweekmountain »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #108 on: 20:07:46, 20/11/16 »
Even the sunset looks different in the shimmering Autumn light

PeakRambler

« Reply #109 on: 19:31:49, 21/11/16 »

One would expect the clocks going back would be a depressing time BUT a funny thing happens late October when is fading by three and dark by five. My interest in the counrtyside switches to the bright lights of the cities like the click a switch.

When its grim outside and dark and wet, I like nothing more than a walk round some of our magnificent northern towns and cities.

In particular I have a thing about bridges, cathedrals, stations, trains, old buildings, new buildings, still life, moving objects, old pubs, well  am sure you get my jist.

The 5.15 going south

Follow link for full story and more photos     The leaving of Durham Town

Super daytime photo of the church and trees  O0

PeakRambler

« Reply #110 on: 19:35:57, 21/11/16 »
Sunday 20 Nov, I was treated to a sightseeing trip to Ladybower Reservoir.

Though I was able to walk far, we found some suitable laybys to grab a few photos, of which here are a couple of photos.

The full set can be seen in my Flickr Album "Autumn Colours, Ladybower Res'vr & Dark Peak", including some of Bleaklow and Kinder

https://www.flickr.com/photos/peak-rambler/albums/72157672885987163

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #111 on: 13:39:17, 22/11/16 »
Great pics all O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #112 on: 11:48:52, 25/11/16 »
Great photos guys keep em coming its less than a month to official winter...................

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #113 on: 10:45:41, 28/11/16 »

Frozen trees in Glen Garry

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #114 on: 12:36:48, 28/11/16 »
Great photo MWM, not up to your standard but with a walking anecdote.

Choice of route to fit in with the time of year and the ambiance of the day is, I think important. Knowing your partners foibles and choosing or discovering a route that panders to these pleasures help make a perfect day out;

In Autumn Mrs BWW takes great pleasure from being able to run ankle deep through dry, rustling autumn leaves, tempted 'off piste' by a forbidden hill top, the down slope proved to be the perfect setting with a mixture of Oak and Beach my O I/2 sets off in 'gay abandon'.

Here I am thinking;
"Remember we are 'Off the Righteous Way"
"You have broken cover"
"The other Gate is the Safe Ground"

Fortunately the peace and quiet of that late evening was not shattered by the 'chain saw snarl' of over revved quad bike.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #115 on: 06:18:17, 02/12/16 »
Fantastic colors BWW keep em coming

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #116 on: 11:57:10, 02/12/16 »

Looking across the countryside, which has been my walking choice for the last decade;

I said to Mrs BWW, we have done a route in every slight shade in that panorama and there are plenty more to do and that is just one section of the panorama west from from Mynydd Myfyr, 17.5 miles from my home.

A quick drive, often made on impulse but also accessed by public transport which has whetted my appetite for linear routes. What is held within each of those folds? As much pleasure as I have had from the Great Peaks, perhaps more, and yet I will not stop a conversation by mentioning any of their names.

There are very many public rights of way hidden in this terrain, more per kilometer square than the nation average (2km/1squ,km) and yet it was necessary to stray off the 'righteous way' to reach the key feature of this particular grid square. 

Here the terrain soaks up access like a sponge and I am blessed by having it close by.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

PeakRambler

« Reply #117 on: 07:39:06, 03/12/16 »
For those in the northern hemisphere able to get a not so cloudy sky just before sunrise, Jupiter is visible in the southern skies.

Around sunset, again with a not so cloudy sky, Venus is also visible around SSW

PeakRambler

« Reply #118 on: 07:39:49, 03/12/16 »
The end of autumn!

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #119 on: 08:29:50, 03/12/16 »

Looking across the countryside, which has been my walking choice for the last decade;

Love this BWW!  8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy