Author Topic: Tick repellant  (Read 8904 times)

Whitby Mick

Tick repellant
« on: 13:12:10, 07/05/17 »
We are doing the West Highland Way early next month and one or two in our party are a little concerned about ticks. Can anyone advise on repellents etc and what to do if anyone is bitten. My own concern isn't so much being bitten but having to ask a friend to get it off if the bite is................................. well, you know where  :-[
Retirement is like owning an old car, you must get as many miles as you can from it before it breaks down forever.

www.our-coast-to-coast.weebly.com

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Re: Tick repellant
« Reply #1 on: 14:52:38, 07/05/17 »
I don't know if there is such a thing as tick repellent, but when walking through likely tick infested areas I always make sure that my trousers are tucked into my socks and never wear shorts.  You can buy tick removal tools to remove them if you are unfortunate enough to get bitten.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:26:47, 07/05/17 »
The WHW is quite a wide path, I can't recall many areas where you would brush against things like ferns and possibly get ticks. Long trousers is the answer though if you're worried.

Oh, and don't go for a wee in the bracken, just incase  :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:22:10, 07/05/17 »
Get a tick hook, keep it in your first aid kit. Use tool to remove any ticks - if bitten keep an eye on it, any sign of a "bulls eye" around the site of the bite, see your GP. More advice on Lyme Disease web sites.
Tick repellent: Avon's Skin So Soft has a reputation as a bug repellent but you can get real tick repellents - Google is your friend.
Best advice is to wear appropriate clothing. Not sure if it is an old wives' tale but I was told never be number 2 or 3 in line, number 1 wakes them up then they drop on 2 or 3. If I am brushing through an area that I think may be tick infested, i use my trekking poles to sweep the vegetation in front of me - not sure if it does any good but it makes me happy and I haven't had a tick yet............ reaches for piece of wood.

https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2014/03/24/tips-and-tricks-to-stay-safe-from-ticks/
« Last Edit: 17:28:01, 07/05/17 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:25:17, 07/05/17 »
I've been visiting Scotland since the early 70's, I've lived here for the last fifteen years I've only ever had one tick on me. Don't walk around barefooted, don't wear shorts while out walking - I never bother putting trousers in socks. If you do find one use a tick hook to get it off don't burn it or put vasaline on it. If you then start to feel unwell see your doctor ASAP.

https://breakspearmedical.com/treatments/lyme-disease/

Murphy

« Reply #5 on: 17:47:25, 07/05/17 »
I always carry a tick hook in my first aid - regardless of where I am walking.  I have never had to remove one from myself, but have had to from my dog on several occasions...Never heard of tick repellent.

staggerindragon

« Reply #6 on: 23:40:04, 07/05/17 »
Here's a link with some nice, concise advice.  http://https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/prev/on_people.html

I've never been bitten when using DEET.  Go Outdoors carries a permethrin spray-on product.  Read up about the permethrin, though.  Cats are sensitive to it, and it is very toxic to aquatic life.

I also tuck in socks and my shirt and give clothes a good brush-down after going through tall plants or brush.

Whitby Mick

« Reply #7 on: 06:10:08, 08/05/17 »
Thanks for the advice folks. To be honest, I only remember one occasion when the little beasts have come to me for lunch and i soon moved him on with my hook. I will pass on your comments to the rest of the party & thanks again.
Retirement is like owning an old car, you must get as many miles as you can from it before it breaks down forever.

www.our-coast-to-coast.weebly.com

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:59:40, 08/05/17 »

Cover up is the best advice. Ron Hill tracksters are good because they hook under your socks - no shorts - and long sleeve t-shirts are best. Check yourself daily and get someone to look over your back if you cannot see for yourself. I have walked in tick areas for years and only ever had one tick - I had been wearing shorts - the tick was attached to a very tricky and tender place.

My dog has had plenty but tick treatment kills them soon after they have attached. I would not use a topical spray on him so would not use one on myself.

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:03:15, 08/05/17 »
I've been ticked a couple of times under my watch strap, didn't find them until after I got home from the weekend as I didn't take my watch off.

I now make a point of using a clip on watch when in tick prone areas.
Enjoy every sandwich

DK

« Reply #10 on: 20:23:07, 09/05/17 »
We weren't born to just pay bills and die...

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:09:54, 15/05/17 »
Just back from 9 days away, the first 4 of which I was walking in southern(ish) Snowdonia with 3 nights wild camping, and I was armed with a newly purchased Trix Tick Lasso, because the little horrors absolutely love me!

True to form, I got them on my upper forearms which were exposed with sleeves rolled up, under my watch strap, and one on an elbow. More were around my biceps under the sleeves, and on my chest. Even though my trousers remained tucked into my socks except at bedtime, some got onto my thighs.

I gave up counting, there must have been around 20, found in 2 days. 4 of these were what I would call "normal" size (adults?) and the lasso was effective at removing these, although it neeeds a steady hand and the tick needs to be in a place where you can see what you're doing. I found it helped if I stretched my skin away from the tick with one hand while operating the lasso with the other.

The greater majority, though, were the smaller-than-a-pinhead little black dots (juveniles?) and the tool was no use at all at removing these, they were too small to lasso. I had no choice but to  resort to my old method of picking them off with the blunt side of the point of a knife.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:10:37, 15/05/17 »
That sounds horrendous.  In all the years I have been walking in the countryside I have never come across a single tick. 

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:29:44, 15/05/17 »
Me neither although I carry tick tweezers!
Where there's a will ...

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:54:38, 15/05/17 »
Long trousers. I walk my dogs in a tick ridden area and have found lightweight trousers are a better option to short trousers. My walking trousers have a drawstring at the foot end which is ideal. I use tick repellent on the dogs as part of flea treatment; it doesn't work, so don't rely on a chemical remedy. That being said, I know nothing about the area you will be walking so above may not be relevent. Enjoy your trip.

Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy