Author Topic: Tick repellant  (Read 8890 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Tick repellant
« Reply #45 on: 16:25:08, 16/07/17 »
I think the main danger is not so much getting bitten by a tick (not all carry Lymes disease) but if the bite turns into a large, angry looking "bullseye" with 3 bite marks in the middle.  If you find a bite like that then a prompt visit to the docs for a course of antibiotics is the order of the day - it's probably worth mentioning that you suspect it's a tick bite as doctors are more aware of tick bites and Lymes disease nowadays.

Don't let the idea of getting a tick bite stop you starting your London LOOP project - parTICKularly (  :D  ) if you are doing it as a series of day walks  O0

chip

« Reply #46 on: 21:17:57, 17/07/17 »
Thanks Mel.
A day walk may be a little ambitious as I am overweight and off work with depression and anxiety after the death of a loved one.

Due to the above an uncle who is now 88 and has only just recently due to crippling arthritis given up walking after being a member of the rambling association for over 40 years and a keen climber before that suggested starting walking may help me with both the weight and the depression.

I may not be an avid poster as i may not have much to post about as some days just getting of the sofa Feels like a victory.

Thanks again.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 21:46:22, 17/07/17 »
Hi Chip

Sorry to hear about your loss.  Your uncle's right. Walking, or simply just getting out and about, can help to alleviate depression.  Perhaps try a few short walks first and see how you get on. 

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 18:38:34, 18/07/17 »
^^^ wot Dovegirl said ^^^^  O0

Armchair Hiker

« Reply #49 on: 18:47:23, 19/07/17 »
Ticks love to hang around places that see regular movement of livestock, if you are following a sheep trod for example that goes thro undergrowth, bracken or any place that can provide shelter to animals its best to cover up or avoid if your worried.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 20:56:53, 19/07/17 »
Ticks love to hang around places that see regular movement of livestock, if you are following a sheep trod for example that goes thro undergrowth, bracken or any place that can provide shelter to animals its best to cover up or avoid if your worried.

Good point.  O0
 I followed a narrow trail up Dunkery Beacon on Exmoor last month - picked up 5 of the blighters in a little over a 100yds. Fortunately we do a "tick check" whenever Mrs N and I exit a likely area so they never got further than the bottom of my trousers!
Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 21:47:22, 19/07/17 »
I beleive the US formulation of skin so soft is different to the UK version, so your report may apply only to that formulation, which is not to say the UK version doesn't work but I don't think its been tested in the same way.

I saw something on the BBC a few years ago about Midge repellants. Avon Skin So Soft, Deet based products and a few other things (can't remember what they were now) were all tested. It seemed to be a valid scientific trial. I remember the poor volunteers had one of the repellants applied to their arm then they had to stick their arm into a glass box with quite a few midges inside. Deet came out on top in the trial with no bites, Avon Skin So Soft wasn't far behind with a couple of bites. Some of the volunteers who had used the other things had bites all over their arms. I know Avon Skin So Soft works on me as a midge repellent but I don't know if it repels ticks. I've seen plenty of ticks about but as yet I've had no bites as far as I'm aware.
Hate will never win

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 20:18:11, 20/07/17 »
i have tried avon skin so soft, but was told i was using the wrong one do you know which one it was april

you have 1 life live it

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 20:32:07, 20/07/17 »
i have tried avon skin so soft, but was told i was using the wrong one do you know which one it was april

https://www.avon.uk.com/product/354-5072/skin-so-soft/skin-so-soft-original-dry-oil-spray

I bought mine a few years ago now and the bottle style has changed a little bit but reading the reviews it seems like it is still the same product  :)
Hate will never win

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 20:57:43, 20/07/17 »
i have tried avon skin so soft, but was told i was using the wrong one

It needs to be the Skin So Soft "Dry Oil" rather than the lotion.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

chip

« Reply #55 on: 21:33:08, 20/07/17 »
I have ordered an insect repellent called smidge for me and some natural tick repellent for my dog badger.

I take badger for a walk around some local fields for 50mins everyday and my fear of ticks is starting to subside. O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy