Author Topic: Left and right handed socks???  (Read 1765 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Left and right handed socks???
« on: 21:48:27, 09/09/19 »
I got some new inov8 socks, these have a big R and L on them. This has me in a quandary, what will happen if I get them mixed up. Will I fall over all the time? Have I been getting it wrong all these years, have I been wearing my socks on the wrong feet? Is this why I'm not a millionaire married to a supermodel? How much better would my life have been if only I'd known?

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
Re: Left and right handed socks???
« Reply #1 on: 22:13:22, 09/09/19 »
 ;D  excellent.....

Get some large bridgedales like mine and you too can feel very "intellectually challenged" when you go to buy more, despite getting two left footed socks last time and the penny drops when you notice the medium both say "M" instead of "R" or "L" ::)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:20:11, 09/09/19 »
You will find there is no problem with putting your socks on the wrong feet provided you then walk backwards.
I have some socks that have an L on both feet.  I thought that meant they would balance the Coriolis Force so I could walk in a straight line in them in the Northern Hemisphere - that was until Mrs N pointed out I had Large feet.
Solvitur Ambulando

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:40:25, 09/09/19 »
Both my inov8 and Hilly running socks are 'handed'. The weave and stretch is different on different parts to help support the foot and also pad in different places.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:36:53, 10/09/19 »
Both my inov8 and Hilly running socks are 'handed'. The weave and stretch is different on different parts to help support the foot and also pad in different places.

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story !!!

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:45:04, 10/09/19 »
These days all our hiking socks (except the thin liner socks) are marked Left and Right, brands X-Socks and Hilly. They have different material distribution on various parts of the foot but I don't know how much difference it makes.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:07:38, 10/09/19 »
How do you put L and R socks on in the dark?

Sleepy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:31:59, 10/09/19 »

Carefully, if you're using a candle.....

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:34:12, 10/09/19 »
Trial and error. If you set off in the opposite direction, change them over.
Solvitur Ambulando

humansnail

« Reply #9 on: 11:00:17, 10/09/19 »
I did that too - looked at my Bridgedale socks the first time I bought some and said "Oh no, I've got two left footed socks." My walking mate reminds me of that quite regularly! ;D

scottk

« Reply #10 on: 22:00:33, 10/09/19 »

I have 2 pairs of the x socks and this is one thing that annoys me. Must say that since getting darn tough socks, the others are second choice.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 23:25:07, 10/09/19 »
Trial and error. If you set off in the opposite direction, change them over.
Or just walk cross legged.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 06:40:28, 11/09/19 »
"Oh no, I've got two left footed socks."
Turn one inside out. It's your only hope!
If you don't, you'll drift off your bearing.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:29:24, 11/09/19 »
I have a very minor sock related problem...

About 3 years ago I was staying over at my sisters, and we went in a local shop that sold a few walking related goods. I was about to buy some Bridgedale socks...think at about 16 quid a pair at time...when guy in shop said something like "All you walkers buy these..but I think these local made ones are even better..have a look at them.."

I did and risked buying three pairs (at about a tenner each). And ended up agreeing with the guy...think they are better. But there's no branding...shop I got them from closed a couple of years ago.

So I won't be buying any more. Maybe a good thing...I dread to think how many pairs of walking socks I've got.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:00:06, 11/09/19 »
Bridgedale socks...All you walkers buy these
I have been intrigued by the rise to market dominance of Bridgedale. Good advertising and product placement, I suspect. I've tried them, but went back to Thorlos as my sock manufacturer of choice for walking.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy