Author Topic: Alternative to Snowdon  (Read 9433 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Alternative to Snowdon
« Reply #15 on: 22:08:57, 15/09/19 »
There was some additional excitement when I was scrambling up Pen Yr Olewen. A pair of RAF jets screamed down Nant Francon below me. They were unexpected and the noise made me jump, which wasn’t the best response given that I was on a tricky section with small hand and foot holds.

mattcymru

« Reply #16 on: 01:32:03, 02/10/19 »
Crimpiau near Capel Curig.  may `only` be 475 m high.. but its a fantastic viewpoint for Glyders and Snowdon, Siabod, and Carneddau!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 07:47:31, 08/10/19 »
Crimpiau near Capel Curig.  may `only` be 475 m high.. but its a fantastic viewpoint for Glyders and Snowdon, Siabod, and Carneddau!
One of my favourite walks from Trefriw: up past the Geirionydd lead mines, along the shores of Llyn Crafnant, Crimpiau, Creigiau Gleision, along the ridge then back down for a lunch time pint in the Fairy Falls Hotel!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Vincent82

« Reply #18 on: 17:44:29, 28/01/20 »
Hello

I just read the post about Carneddau. Would you recommend it for April (Easter weekend) or is still too snowy then?

Also do you know if you can access those without a car from Bangor?

Thank you

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:54:13, 28/01/20 »
Hello

I just read the post about Carneddau. Would you recommend it for April (Easter weekend) or is still too snowy then?

Also do you know if you can access those without a car from Bangor?

Thank you
If I could answer your first question definitively in January I would be a lot richer than I am  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

Vincent82

« Reply #20 on: 19:24:04, 28/01/20 »
I guess that means all weathers are still possible? :-)

I might take the risk then

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:36:08, 28/01/20 »
I guess that means all weathers are still possible? :-)

I might take the risk then
More a reflection of the fact that N Wales, like most of the UK, has weather rather than a climate.
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:05:31, 29/01/20 »
It could be tee shirt and sun hat or crampons and ice axe, or, more likely, somewhere in between.  I have done full traverses of the Carneddau in March no bother, but also was hail stoned to smithereens in May last year.  But, if the weather is good, the Carneddau is ideal walking and generally pretty quiet.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:11:39, 02/02/20 »
I did the Carneddau quite a few times last year, and agree that it’s a very different experience from Snowdon, or even the Glyders - feels much wilder and isolated, especially if you start from either Aber (once you’re above the falls) or Eigiau (despite the road up to the car park being a bit of a nightmare).

This year I really want to do Yr Elen via Llafar or Caseg.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:11:06, 02/02/20 »
I lived for 7 years in Trefriw, and loved the long walk in to the Carneddau. Up the minor road to Cowlyd, the Pen Llithrig y Wrach, Pen yr Helgi Du, Carnedd Llewelyn, Foel Grach, then down to Eigiau and the long walk back to Trefriw (or variants of the above). Happy memories of long, hard days on the hill.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:13:11, 02/02/20 »
The Carneddau are wonderful in the snow. I've seen wind sculpted horizontal hoar frost deposits 1 foot long.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 19:29:14, 02/02/20 »
This year I really want to do Yr Elen via Llafar or Caseg.

The route via Cwm Caseg and the NE ridge is superb despite the fairly long walk in from Cilfodan, the approach and ascent will very likely be deserted too. It's one route I did solo and I'm keen to repeat with the two of us.

I agree the Carneddau are more serious than most navigationally in winter or claggy conditions, it's easy to become disoriented in the vast sweeping landscape.

MkPotato

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 04:55:32, 03/02/20 »
The route via Cwm Caseg and the NE ridge is superb despite the fairly long walk in from Cilfodan, the approach and ascent will very likely be deserted too. It's one route I did solo and I'm keen to repeat with the two of us.
This looks like a great route. One that I really want to do.

It’s a shame there’s no convenient parking spot, other than in Bethesda itself. I really don’t fancy leaving my car on a side road. I surprised there’s no incentive to build a pay car park for walkers.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 06:54:03, 03/02/20 »
It’s a shame there’s no convenient parking spot, other than in Bethesda itself.

On that trip we parked in Cilfodan up the hill from Bethesda, there's a good car park and it saves a bit of ascent too. On other trips we have parked in the Spar car park in Bethesda itself.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 09:24:12, 03/02/20 »
It's a shame there’s no convenient parking spot, other than in Bethesda itself. I really don’t fancy leaving my car on a side road. I surprised there’s no incentive to build a pay car park for walkers.

This was discussed at length on this forum a few years ago.

From the notes I made at the time:

There is a car park behind Yr Sior or King George pub SH625671 (on the left of the road where it says Cilfodan on the map).
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=24607.0 (Aug 2013)
and further information at
http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=7280b7f423663ea0bc3a8c6e84a956c0&topic=34829.msg502385;topicseen#msg502385

Some quotes from the threads:

"There is always a parking place available and I've left my car there for many hours without any problems at all times of the year, and because it's got constant use by locals it's as safe as it gets.

It's just under a mile walk along the upper roads of Gerlan passing the Co Op shop on your left.
That car park behind Yr Sior is the only one where you can park several cars legally.

Parking in Gerlan is heavily controlled with virtually every parking space available a parking permit only for residence.

There are three places available by the pump station and that's it.

One reason you see few if any walkers in the Caseg Valley above Gerlan is because of parking issues not because the western Carneddau are a mystery to the average walker."

Another poster wrote, "I found a great little spot on the road up to the trail-head...it's by the playground which is a little football pitch, a large enough space to fit my car in without blocking access to the gate."

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy