Author Topic: TR Silloth to Grune Point on the Cumbria Coastal Way Sat 27 Dec 14  (Read 5375 times)

April

• Veteran Member
With travelling back home after Christmas we didn’t have a great deal of time for a walk on Saturday so we got the 400 bus up to Silloth on the coast in West Cumbria to walk up to Grune Point and back. We had sunny spells and the wind was light but crikey it was cold on the coast. It must have been very close to freezing all day.  

We had lovely views over the Solway Firth as we walked along the Cumbria Coastal Path

Criffel over the Solway Firth at our start in Silloth

The refurbished Victorian pagoda where we had our lunch

We’d only been walking for about 25 minutes but it was 12.15 and we were hungry  ;D  

Criffel again now with more cloud over its top

On the promenade on the way to Skinburness. That is the Cote Lighthouse.

At Grune Point. We were a bit underwhelmed by it. The aerial shots I looked at before we went looked a bit more dramatic than it was on the ground.

This is either the World War 2 observation shelter at Grune Point or the Cumberland Machine-Gun Anti-Tank Rifle Emplacement depending on which web source you use.  

The cairn on top was added as a memorial to four Silloth firemen who drowned while trying to rescue a wildfowler. Pity the shelter inside is used as a rubbish bin.

On the way back to Silloth

View from the end of the promenade at Silloth. Lees Scar Lighthouse in view in the centre of the shot

Christ Church in Silloth

This is a pleasant 6 miler for those who don’t want too much excitement  ;)  We did enjoy the views of the Scottish coastline over the Solway Firth and after our last trip to the coast when it was all claggy and we saw nothing this walk more than made up for it. Thanks for the entertainment as usual Beefy  O0  

Hate will never win

Rhino

• Veteran Member
Nice pictures April of what looks like a lovely area  :)
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

beefy

• Veteran Member
was a nice walk not the usual excitement, but pleasant enough all the same,
good job there was almost no wind, otherwise it would have been too cold to be outside,  :coolsmiley:

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Thanks for sharing the photos, April   :)   The views of the Solway Firth are atmospheric.  I had a stroll along the promenade at Silloth this summer and thought it seemed a pleasant place

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks Rhino and Dovegirl  O0

What no vid Beefy?  ;)
Hate will never win

qasNarly

i can help it
« Reply #5 on: 14:02:45, 24/11/18 »
can i help us with this site hm??
« Last Edit: 17:19:59, 24/11/18 by qasNarly »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: hello all users
« Reply #6 on: 14:10:20, 24/11/18 »
hello all users. i am quas wenkis from mali.
Are you?
Are you though?
Are you really even a person?
And if you are, while I understand now nice Aprils TRs always are, why resurrect a thread from 4 years ago?

qasNarly

hello all users
« Reply #7 on: 16:41:27, 24/11/18 »
hello all users. i am quas wenkis from mali.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Anything else you would like to add?

TheLealp

uwielbiam was very
« Reply #9 on: 10:02:47, 01/12/18 »
hello. i am from poland. i uwielbiam was!

TheLealp

uwielbiam was very
« Reply #10 on: 11:42:23, 01/12/18 »
hello. i am from poland. i uwielbiam was!

rachelhale

Hello, I am interested in using your images of Grune Point for  apiece in the Times Weekend section called A Good Walk. Might this be possible? I would need images today or tomorrow. Many thanks!
Rachel

beefy

• Veteran Member
Hello, I am interested in using your images of Grune Point for  apiece in the Times Weekend section called A Good Walk. Might this be possible? I would need images today or tomorrow. Many thanks!
Rachel
That must be worth a few £  :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Well it made an interesting TR and a change to the fells! I'd never have read it otherwise...

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
That must be worth a few £  :)

Are you April’s agent?  ;D
BTW we get the Times at the weekend and there is an article in the Weekend section every Saturday entitled A Good Walk, so it’s probably legit.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy